Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing from china

Options
  • 06-03-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

whats the lowdown on this? i have found a verified supplier on alibaba.com who has product i want, in case you need to know its a roll of carbon fibre fabric.

how do i go about importing it to ireland? i mean when they quote me a price is that including shipping or do i have to arrange shipping myself? and when it comes into ireland i have to pay some sort of import tax right?

seems to be very complicated lol

thanks
    Cole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

colep wrote: »
    whats the lowdown on this? i have found a verified supplier on alibaba.com who has product i want, in case you need to know its a roll of carbon fibre fabric.

how do i go about importing it to ireland? i mean when they quote me a price is that including shipping or do i have to arrange shipping myself? and when it comes into ireland i have to pay some sort of import tax right?

thanks
    Cole

Just search this forum for the word china and read all about it. It's been covered in depth many times before.

I'd love if they had a sticky on here called all things china as this comes up nearly every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 colep

cool dude, i found that the best way to arrange it i to agree fob with the supplier and have an irish company ship right?
    this raises more questions for me. what do i need from the supplier to give to my shipping company to arrange collection and shipping to ireland

does anyone know of any irish importing or freight companies who look after this sort of stuff?

thanks again
    Cole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

what do i need from the supplier to give to my shipping company to arrange collection and shipping to ireland
    Bill of Ladding, issued once container on board.

If it's not a full container load, your order will travel in shared container. Usually the collection in Dublin is pre-arranged and the Irish company will phone you saying the order is ready for collection / may be delivered at your doors at an extra cost.
    does anyone know of any irish importing or freight companies who look after this sort of stuff?

I was once served by hamiltonshipping.ie
    Count in Dublin port fees and customs clearance cost

beazee wrote: »
    Bill of Ladding, issued once container on board.

If it's not a full container load, your order will travel in shared container. Usually the collection in Dublin is pre-arranged and the Irish company will phone you saying the order is ready for collection / may be delivered at your doors at an extra cost.

I was once served by hamiltonshipping.ie
    Count in Dublin port fees and customs clearance cost

cool thanks.
    what do you mean issued on board? you dont mean on board a freight ship do you? i thought that would be up to hamilton shipping to organise. i was guessing the supplier sent it to a holding area, where i give hamiltons the ino and they arrange it to be collected?

Got a bill of lading of the seller. (pdf + original later by mail)

Few weeks forward Hamilton Shipping contacted me, that they expect a shared container with something for me.

In order to get the things moving had to sent Hamilton an original of BoL to show I am the one whose load it is.

A week after container arrived to port was issued an invoice by Hamiltons.

Having paid this - arrived at my door 3 days later

• Advertisement

so, the supplier will load the product onto a container destined for ireland and thats when hamiltons take over, or does the supplier leave the product at say a temporary storage place, then when i give the bol to hamiltons they go get the product, load it onto a container and ship it?

How is the price quoted? $... FOB / CIP / DDP?

Mine was CIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterm

BoL can only be issued for containers loaded on / present on ship.
    That's why it's called this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

relaxed wrote: »
    Just search this forum for the word china and read all about it. It's been covered in depth many times before.

I'd love if they had a sticky on here called all things china as this comes up nearly every week.

Suggestions for more relevant stickies and charter review/update go down like a lead balloon with the tin badge brigade on here!

BoL can only be issued for containers loaded on / present on ship.
    That's why it's called this way.

this really confuses me. so does hamiltons contact the supplier to designate which container and ship to put the product onto?????

• Advertisement

How is the price quoted? $... FOB / CIP / DDP?

Mine was CIP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incoterm

its fob.

In my case it was the supplier who choose ship / container / route (haven't much interest in it).

Once the ship was at see, Hamiltons got the summary of whats and wheres and contacted me (this is when I learned with whom I will be dealing with on my side).

And that's my story.

cool cool bud thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

thanks
    Cole

Good morning.

My recommendation, as before in previous posts, is to agree FOB terms with your supplier in China and nominate an (Irish based) forwarder to handle the shipping from the port in China to your door.

Under FOB terms, the supplier is responsible for ;

- delivery to the port of shipment
    - export customs formalities in China
    - loading / handling in the port in China

The consignee (through his nominated forwarder) is responsible for ;

- shipping from China to Ireland (and payment for same)
    - import customs formalities
    - payment of duty and VAT
    - payment of the local handling charges, customs clearance fee and delivery

In a lot of cases, the chinese supplier will offer C&F/CFR terms and make the shipping arrangements to Dublin. The problem with that is that the supplier gets a really sweet deal and the consignee ends up with significantly inflated charges on arrival (search for : China Import Service Fee in this forum and see some of the problems that can create)

Once you agree terms with your forwarder, he will liase with your supplier to make the required arrangements in China and ship the goods to Ireland, arrange the customs formalities on arrival and the delivery to your door.

Utilising the services of a forwarder on this side will give you control over the shipping process and costs associated with it.

Trust this helps.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Rudi

You are a most patient man!!

If you had a Euro for every time you posted this info, you would be sipping cocktails in the Caribbean!1 :)

Another Item that should be in a "China" sticky, yet falls on deaf ears!!

Cheers

peter

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Good morning.

My recommendation, as before in previous posts, is to agree FOB terms with your supplier in China and nominate an (Irish based) forwarder to handle the shipping from the port in China to your door.

Under FOB terms, the supplier is responsible for ;

- delivery to the port of shipment
    - export customs formalities in China
    - loading / handling in the port in China

The consignee (through his nominated forwarder) is responsible for ;

- shipping from China to Ireland (and payment for same)
    - import customs formalities
    - payment of duty and VAT
    - payment of the local handling charges, customs clearance fee and delivery

In a lot of cases, the chinese supplier will offer C&F/CFR terms and make the shipping arrangements to Dublin. The problem with that is that the supplier gets a really sweet deal and the consignee ends up with significantly inflated charges on arrival (search for : China Import Service Fee in this forum and see some of the problems that can create)

Once you agree terms with your forwarder, he will liase with your supplier to make the required arrangements in China and ship the goods to Ireland, arrange the customs formalities on arrival and the delivery to your door.

Utilising the services of a forwarder on this side will give you control over the shipping process and costs associated with it.

Trust this helps.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

thanks Rudolph, i found this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61784728

from your post there organising my own shipping agent could save me about €200? the product is 2 1.5meter wide rolls of carbon fabric, the supplier has quoted me just over €1700 and he says that includes "free" shipping.

what costs do you think i could have to pay extra, if i left the supplier ti import compared to if i imported it myself? this process all seems so complicated. oh and i think he uses a company like dhl or tnt

be sure to let us know how you get on!

thanks Rudolph, i found this thread...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61784728

from your post there organising my own shipping agent could save me about €200? the product is 2 1.5meter wide rolls of carbon fabric, the supplier has quoted me just over €1700 and he says that includes "free" shipping.

what costs do you think i could have to pay extra, if i left the supplier ti import compared to if i imported it myself? this process all seems so complicated. oh and i think he uses a company like dhl or tnt

Hello Colep,

The only way to establish what costs you will be charged is when you know how it is going to be shipped. If indeed the delivery will be done through DHL / TNT the only costs you should face on this end is the duty and VAT plus a nominal handling charge for processing the payment to customs and collecting the money from you on delivery. That should not be more than € 15.00 in my estimation.

However, if the supplier is going to use seafreight / LCL-Groupage, it will become messy. You would need to find out BEFORE (!!!!) the shipment leaves China who in Ireland will be dealing with the shipment. You will need to contact the agent on this side and get their charges. Changes are that they will give the charges in as much as they are able to. This is because the infamous China Import Service Fee (or whatever name the use) will only be set AFTER the shipment has left China.

So, suggest you find out from your supplier how the shipment will be despatched. That will tell you what the next step in the process will be.

Feel free to come back and let us know. Happy to steer you through this process

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Rudi

You are a most patient man!!

If you had a Euro for every time you posted this info, you would be sipping cocktails in the Caribbean!1 :)

Another Item that should be in a "China" sticky, yet falls on deaf ears!!

Cheers

peter

Hello Peter,

I like to think I am a patient man ........ So what makes you think I am not already sipping cocktails in the Caribbean?

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

If you are Rudi, you must be very bored over there... as you are posting on here!!! P :)

• Advertisement

hi, i got a quote from hamiltons shipping

Freight: USD 205
    THC: EUR 55
    Agency: EUR 45
    ISPS: EUR 13
    Customs: EUR 50

but like a tit i noticed just now it doesnt include vat. is that paid on the value of the goods or goods and all the above?

the supplier is doing fob, so as far as i can tell Hamiltons take it from there and make everything simples for me. to optimistic?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

hi, i got a quote from hamiltons shipping

Freight: USD 205
    THC: EUR 55
    Agency: EUR 45
    ISPS: EUR 13
    Customs: EUR 50

but like a tit i noticed just now it doesnt include vat. is that paid on the value of the goods or goods and all the above?

the supplier is doing fob, so as far as i can tell Hamiltons take it from there and make everything simples for me. to optimistic?:P

AFAIK the VAT is paid on the value of the goods and all of the above @ 23%, you will also have to pay duty, most things are only a couple of percent but check this first. I think you have most things covered except getting it from the port to your door, which will be another haulage cost.

relaxed wrote: »
    AFAIK the VAT is paid on the value of the goods and all of the above @ 23%, you will also have to pay duty, most things are only a couple of percent but check this first. I think you have most things covered except getting it from the port to your door, which will be another haulage cost.

i have a van :O

according to hamiltons vat is paid at 20pct on the goods and freight.

how do i find out duty charges?

i have a van :O

according to hamiltons vat is paid at 20pct on the goods and freight.

how do i find out duty charges?

Hello Colep,

please note ;

Duty is calculated over the cost of the product, plus freight costs from China to Dublin (excluding the local charges)

VAT (the rate is 23%) is charged over the combined total of cost of product, freight costs and duty.

I am attaching a duty and VAT calculator with the rate of exchange for the month of March. This link will lead you to the rates of exchange as published by customs for each month ; http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/importing/exchange-rates/index.html

In order to establish the rate of duty, if you can post details of the product I can have a look at it for you. alternatively, contact the Tariff Classification unit in Nenagh ; http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/importing/classification-of-goods.html

If you would like a second opinion on the freight costs, drop me a PM with the details of the shipment.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

cant open that file for some reason.

so, in short importing from outside eu you can expect the following

freight

agency charge

duty

vat

customs charge

thc

isps

is a customs charge a standard flat rate or what determines its value?

what are thc and isps charges?

is there a online automatic calculator where i put in the details of the shipment and it tells me the duty charges?

the products themselves are rolls of woven fibreglass for model making.
    each roll is 40kg, the order is for 25 rolls.
    total order is $1300 fob

i was quoted just over $500 for freight by hamiltons, but the supplier quoted me $400. i prefer to go with hamiltons as they are a national company and come time to collect it will be alot easier but i dont understand the price difference.

cant open that file for some reason.

so, in short importing from outside eu you can expect the following

freight

agency charge

duty

vat

customs charge

thc

isps

is a customs charge a standard flat rate or what determines its value?

what are thc and isps charges?

is there a online automatic calculator where i put in the details of the shipment and it tells me the duty charges?

the products themselves are rolls of woven fibreglass for model making.
    each roll is 40kg, the order is for 25 rolls.
    total order is $1300 fob

i was quoted just over $500 for freight by hamiltons, but the supplier quoted me $400. i prefer to go with hamiltons as they are a national company and come time to collect it will be alot easier but i dont understand the price difference.

Hello Colep,

I have added the costs of the product (Us$ 1300) and the freight costs (Us$ 205) to the spreadsheet and am attaching a copy of same to this post.

In case you can not open the file, based on a rate of duty of 6.5%, the following are the duty and VAT calculations ;

Duty € 71.17 (*)
    VAT € 268.21 (**)
    Total customs outlay € 339.38

(*) I suggest you contact the Customs Tariff Classification unit and ask them for an opinion on the likely rate of duty

(**) If you are a VAT registered trader, VAT paid on imports is a deductible input, so you can claim this back in your periodic VAT return.

Your understanding of the charges are correct. THC stands for Terminal Handling Charge, essentially this is a cost charged by the receiving agent for unloading your cargo from the container. ISPS is a port security charge.

If you can give me the port of shipment and the dimensions of the (packed) rolls, I would be happy to give you a second opinion on your freight costs.

Please note, the charges from your supplier are likely to be upto arrival Dublin port. I suspect that the "arrival" charges bear no resemblance to the costs you can achieve through an Irish based company. You are likely to end up highly inflated costs on this side if you allow your supplier to make the shipping arrangements.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Colep,

I have added the costs of the product (Us$ 1300) and the freight costs (Us$ 205) to the spreadsheet and am attaching a copy of same to this post.

In case you can not open the file, based on a rate of duty of 6.5%, the following are the duty and VAT calculations ;

Duty € 71.17 (*)
    VAT € 268.21 (**)
    Total customs outlay € 339.38

(*) I suggest you contact the Customs Tariff Classification unit and ask them for an opinion on the likely rate of duty

(**) If you are a VAT registered trader, VAT paid on imports is a deductible input, so you can claim this back in your periodic VAT return.

Your understanding of the charges are correct. THC stands for Terminal Handling Charge, essentially this is a cost charged by the receiving agent for unloading your cargo from the container. ISPS is a port security charge.

If you can give me the port of shipment and the dimensions of the (packed) rolls, I would be happy to give you a second opinion on your freight costs.

Please note, the charges from your supplier are likely to be upto arrival Dublin port. I suspect that the "arrival" charges bear no resemblance to the costs you can achieve through an Irish based company. You are likely to end up highly inflated costs on this side if you allow your supplier to make the shipping arrangements.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

the rolls are .25m x .25m x 1.6m 40kg each 25 parcels

tianjin port, china shipped to dublin

i was quoted all that by an irish importer hamiltons.

Hello Colep,

have sent you a PM. Let me know what you think

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 1 usmandembe

thanks
    Cole

Try to find on the internet, import services for goods from China, usually many companies provide these services.

• Advertisement

I suggest you check the date on the post ............. The last post prior to yours today is from 2014 .........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement