Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do young people sit at the BACK and/or TOP of the Dublin Bus?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I apologize if i'm repeating my post, i just thought this would be a more appropriate thread.

I've noticed an interesting trend; most young people 25 under, sit at the very back, or usually the top.

I'm asking because I don't understand why someone would sit upstairs in any situation. 1) If the bus flips,over the people on the top are stuck.
    2) Most people who sit on the top look 'shady'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

treefrail wrote: »
    I apologize if i'm repeating my post, i just thought this would be a more appropriate thread.

I've noticed an interesting trend; most young people 25 under, sit at the very back, or usually the top.

I'm asking because I don't understand why someone would sit upstairs in any situation. 1) If the bus flips,over the people on the top are stuck.
    2) Most people who sit on the top look 'shady'

Why do people tend to sit at the back of the class at school? ;-)

People sit at the back because no one else can watch them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

to leave the more accessible seats free for old folk over 21 yo of course .Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah, all the seats at the front bottom of the bus are prioritised for elderly, disabled, etc. Simple explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lxflyer wrote: »
    Why do people tend to sit at the back of the class at school? ;-)

People sit at the back because no one else can watch them!

The messers always claim the back seats.

The messers always claim the back seats.

Correct.

They can then see/watch everyone else, but everyone else would have to turn around to see/watch them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I disagree strongly though that only shady people go upstairs.

I go upstairs all the time, and I'm not in the least bit shady.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ta smoke mizer oul joint, and get me buzzzzzzzzzz, shwaaaaaaaa, no seriously, i sit up stairs because theirs less chance of being sat near or beside a screaming baby or some little brat, and i just like sitting up high anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Top front: so you can pretend to drive the bus
    Tob back: usually for smoking, messin n generally getting up to no good

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevinEldon

Great onubstructed view at the very front and slightly more leg room.Down the back has more legroom if you sit in the middle seat.I'm 6'4 and its nice not to have my knees clattering into the back of the seat in front of me for the whole journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭VG31

I nearly always sit upstairs. I prefere sitting upstairs because it's higher up and all the eldery people sit downstairs so I feel like you are taking their seats if you sit there. I only usually only sit downstairs if the bus is pratically empty or if I am only going a few stops I might sit downstairs but I often prefere to stand. I don't sit at the back upstairs unless there is no other seats upstairs. And it's not always just young people who sit at the back upstairs, I've seen old ladies at the back before.
    KevinEldon wrote: »
    Great onubstructed view at the very front and slightly more leg room.Down the back has more legroom if you sit in the middle seat.I'm 6'4 and its nice not to have my knees clattering into the back of the seat in front of me for the whole journey.

There isn't much leg room at the front on buses like the '05 VTs but the VGs and GTs there is loads of room on the seat in front of the stairs. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You can usually find me upstairs, three quarters of the way back on the right and I'm not shady either. Often sit at the back too.

What I find amusing is that some people who sit upstairs don't even look down the bus if there's free seats, they just take the first 2/3 benches upstairs regardless.

Seat at the front of an EV upstairs is the best seat..

dfx- wrote: »
    You can usually find me upstairs, three quarters of the way back on the right and I'm not shady either. Often sit at the back too.

What I find amusing is that some people who sit upstairs don't even look down the bus if there's free seats, they just take the first 2/3 benches upstairs regardless.

Seat at the front of an EV upstairs is the best seat..

Oh I beg to differ - the best seats are "1D" and "1F" (to use aircraft parlance) upstairs on the VG and GT classes (they're the front right seats!).

LOTS of leg room!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

lxflyer wrote: »
    Oh I beg to differ - the best seats are "1D" and "1F" (to use aircraft parlance) upstairs on the VG and GT classes (they're the front right seats!).

LOTS of leg room!!

Yes I travelled on seat 1F home last night on a GT!

The top left on and EV and the seat behind the stairs on an AV are the ones with the most legroom.

Also you are furthest away from the engine upstairs at the front half of the bus, so quieter and less vibrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I always sat up top as far forward as I could just to look out the windows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I do enjoy when at peak hours, all seats are taken by commuters, including those at the back of the bus upstairs. Then, a young man who I hear boarding without any noise from card readers or coin, sprints up the stairs (perhaps this is why he wears athletic clothing?), where upon he starts his stride to the back only to have his face adopt what I call a "bleedin' wha'?" look as he realises the seats he normally takes are occupied by commuters in formal office wear, and he heads back downstairs.

Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

Upstairs, first set of seats behind the stairs. Fantastic legroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would say that young people who sit at the back of the top deck of a bus are more likely to cause trouble.

I was on the no.4 bus trying to get to the RDS over a week ago. Two young lads who are probably 7 or 8 years old were sitting at the back of their bus, which was the no.7 heading to Mountjoy Square that was in front of the 4. They both had subsequently stuck up their middle fingers to me and a foreign man between the hours of 9:30 and 10 in the morning. It started as my bus had come up behind the 7 in Blackrock and it continued all the way down to Merrion Road. :mad::mad:

The foreign man had stuck up his fingers back to hit back at them as I just looked on in shock and disgust at the young lads doing that to us. I had no option but to ignore the young kids immediately as they did that for about for about 4 times during my bus journey.

Does that happen to you at that hour of the morning when you're going to work OP?

If that doesn't happen at all. Well you're very lucky there pal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Its the classroom mentality. they choose to sit the furthest distance from the athority figure. In this case. The driver. Its not just dublin bus. its the western world

Advertisement