Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do

Options
  • 06-03-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Hi, got a very small holding of 15 acres here in Cavan and fairly good land.

nothing on it at present but what would be the best thing to do with it to make a few bob out of it, would need fencing.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

kincaid wrote: »
    Hi, got a very small holding of 15 acres here in Cavan and fairly good land.

nothing on it at present but what would be the best thing to do with it to make a few bob out of it, would need fencing.

thanks

Will you live there? Is your home on/nearby........and will you be smallholding 'full-time'? These things would all impact on what you could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Plough it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

wouldn't be interested in forestry and planting it...

yes home is beside land.

I know its a small amount of land and just wanted to know how to best make use of it to make some money. I do have a interest in farming and could work it part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

What are your interests and skills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I know its a small amount of land and just wanted to know how to best make use of it to make some money. I do have a interest in farming and could work it part time.

To be honest if you're looking to make money the handiest thing to do would be to rent it out. Provided it's decent land you could make a couple hundred per acre per year, or if you rent it for spuds you could make 400+ per acre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Land in Cavan won't grow spuds.
    You could rent it for grazing. Maybe €100-120 an acre.
    Some lads make round bales each year and sell them. But it's costing €18-20 to make good bales and in reality this year they are only making €20-22

I'd say you best chance to make money is rent it out. If you have a herd number you could summer graze a few cattle of your own. But there isn't much to be made at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Forgot they said it was in Cavan :o

As said already, renting it out would probably be the handiest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

Would you rent it out for free if someone took on the fencing of it with sheep wire? Which end of county are you in?

Pm if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭kincaid

Any grants, subsidies etc i should esquire about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Any grants, subsidies etc i should esquire about

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

bbam wrote: »
    Nope.

If you have 50 plus sheep, you mite be elgble for grant to fence.
    Otherwise
    Let 14 aares to the lad above for a while, get it fenced for free, keep an acre, stik a pony on it, maybe run a few sheep with his. If u got a day job keep it. Best of both worlds.

Advertisement