Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retirement of Windows XP,,,change to Linux?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

@human 19,

THANK YOU for the passion inherent in your response. Excellent info and patience with (Linux) newbies.

I completely agree regarding the government 'thumb in the dam' response. The man charged with that strategy, can't recall his name or post, should lose his post with immediate effect for gross incompetence. Unless his incompetent public position on WinXP end of life was just a negotiating tactic by the Government with Microsoft. But I doubt that's credible. Much more likely he's an incompetent muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I don't think the Government should be criticized too much over not moving off the very stable Windows XP platform.

Particularly as no Government computer is running anything other than spread sheet and word documents. And the cost of moving over against the cost of updating machines and compatibility issues.

One can still see Windows 3.11 in army vehicles operating the remote fire control. The very recent reequipment of the armour brigade has a different custom OS.

I've brought my main laptop back to XP having put Window 7 on it which it did not like too much and Window 8 was a disaster ~ I've a nice stable functioning machine again.

I've been playing (seeing it meets my needs, not geek-playing) with Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander on my MSI U135, after recommendations here.

So impressed with its SPEED and ease of use that I am now sitting in front of my pimped Inspiron 1300 from 2006 and it is getting its WinXp/Ubuntu dual boot wiped and Xubuntu is going in there. I CANNOT believe the speed. And its proving issue-free so far.

I am looking forward to trying 'Play With Linux' as it gets even better reviews than Wine.

Thanks for all the help, people.

Edit:- Zero issues with Ubuntu on my Inspiron 1300. Loaded latest Xubuntu and
    1. it recognised a 320GB HDD where WinXP would not, even though I'd updated the Bios to A10 and done everything required.
    2. No wireless connectivity. Seems to be an issue with the Broadcom radio. Have found a solution I think.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I don't think the Government should be criticized too much over not moving off the very stable Windows XP platform.

Particularly as no Government computer is running anything other than spread sheet and word documents. And the cost of moving over against the cost of updating machines and compatibility issues.

One can still see Windows 3.11 in army vehicles operating the remote fire control. The very recent reequipment of the armour brigade has a different custom OS.

I've brought my main laptop back to XP having put Window 7 on it which it did not like too much and Window 8 was a disaster ~ I've a nice stable functioning machine again.

It sounds like you're making old hardware jump through hoops they're not built for.

Hey, old OS's work fine on old hardware. But its not a very good strategy for government or military. I would imagine Linux or BSD would be best for some of those older, simpler hardware systems. But I'm just guessing.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    It sounds like you're making old hardware jump through hoops they're not built for.

Hey, old OS's work fine on old hardware. But its not a very good strategy for government or military. I would imagine Linux or BSD would be best for some of those older, simpler hardware systems. But I'm just guessing.

My laptop is aging right enough but it was a business class toughened model ~ can't afford that luxury to replace it with kind today.

The military of course would be running one single programme, a 600MHz CPU in a Toughbook PC would be like grease lightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Particularly as no Government computer is running anything other than spread sheet and word documents.

That's complete nonsense.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense.

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If your network is sat behind a properly configured hardware firewall, (not one with built in back doors).

All client machines with no administrative privileges.

No ability to connect an external device, e.g. no USB connections.

All personal phones or devices unable to connect to the corporate network.

Internet access restricted to only those sites needed for business purposes i.e. access only to sites in allowed list.

Then whatever OS is running on the client machines is virtually irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I've been playing (seeing it meets my needs, not geek-playing) with Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander on my MSI U135, after recommendations here.

So impressed with its SPEED and ease of use that I am now sitting in front of my pimped Inspiron 1300 from 2006 and it is getting its WinXp/Ubuntu dual boot wiped and Xubuntu is going in there. I CANNOT believe the speed. And its proving issue-free so far.

I am looking forward to trying 'Play With Linux' as it gets even better reviews than Wine.

1. it recognised a 320GB HDD where WinXP would not, even though I'd updated the Bios to A10 and done everything required.
    2. No wireless connectivity. Seems to be an issue with the Broadcom radio. Have found a solution I think.

I put PCLOS on an Inspiron 1300 last night and was caught for a while with the wifi card.
    I eventually got it functioning using the XP driver and ndiswrapper.

I was rather surprised that it took the KDE DE and is reasonably quick considering the DE.

2. No wireless connectivity. Seems to be an issue with the Broadcom radio. Have found a solution I think.[/QUOTE]

I put PCLOS on an Inspiron 1300 last night and was caught for a while with the wifi card.
    I eventually got it functioning using the XP driver and ndiswrapper.

I was rather surprised that it took the KDE DE and is reasonably quick considering the DE.

I've spent most of the morning trying to get it working but the help was a little over my head. For now.
    Instead of dualbooting, I went for a clean wipe of the HDD. So ndiswrapper would be no good to me. I think I will see if I can read the drivers from WinXP CDs that I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Go for it.

Lots of bespoke apps in use, then there are commercial packages like invoicing, payroll etc. Not all are browser based and not all that are can run on later than IE6, at least not without major version upgrades that need to be tested and can have knock-on effects on other applications that interact with them.

There have been surveys of private sector businesses showing that many of them aren't ready to switch either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

They should upgrade from XP to 7 then install Virtual PC and run a virtual XP there (all free from Microsoft, amazing) that way they can keep their older apps and have security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

If a body had XP and wanted to move over to Linux to save money whats the best way to avoid driver problems and get itunes working.

These were both issues I had in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I've spent most of the morning trying to get it working but the help was a little over my head. For now.
    Instead of dualbooting, I went for a clean wipe of the HDD. So ndiswrapper would be no good to me. I think I will see if I can read the drivers from WinXP CDs that I have.
    If you're ready to accept some help, we can help :)

Take a look here and give us some info about your system:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75698945

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

excollier wrote: »
    They should upgrade from XP to 7 then install Virtual PC and run a virtual XP there (all free from Microsoft, amazing) that way they can keep their older apps and have security.

And when they go on the internet using IE 6, on their virtual WIndows XP machine they will be safe from all the nasties online, right?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    If you're ready to accept some help, we can help :)

Take a look here and give us some info about your system:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75698945

Thank you. You are very kind :) Will be in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

If your machine can connect to the internet using ethernet, you can then download the broadcom firmwares which should simpler than using ndiswrapper anyway unless your 1300 has a really strange card.
    Until the firmware is on your system, the drivers can't work.

In ubuntu, it might be as simple as
    sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

In PCLOS, launch your package manager and look for packages called
    b43-firmware
    b43legacy-firmware
    BCM43xx-firmware

What version of PCLOS have you installed?
    If you're using an older linux distribution, you'll throw away a lot of hardware support that would just work with a newer release. The firmwares need to be installed anyway as they're not included for licensing reasons.
    XP didn't include them either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My Inspiron 1300 has a Broadcom eithernet card and an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 wireless card. Are you sure your wireless card is a Broadcom one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    My Inspiron 1300 has a Broadcom eithernet card and an Intel Pro Wireless 2200 wireless card. Are you sure your wireless card is a Broadcom one?

I have a broken 1300 here with a Broadcom wifi card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I have a broken 1300 here with a Broadcom wifi card

Alright, just checking. Mine has an Intel card, had some wireless troubles when installing Debian before but sorted it out fairly easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Dont know if you have used the terminal yet, but to confirm what card you have, , in a terminal enter "lspci" and paste the results here to confrim your card.

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    If a body had XP and wanted to move over to Linux to save money whats the best way to avoid driver problems and get itunes working.

These were both issues I had in the past few months.

Drivers for what? Most work out of the box, some need drivers installed.

Dont know about itunes so cant help there. Google probably your friend here. I assume it has been long sorted

human 19 wrote: »
    Anyone listen to the Marian Finnucane show on the radio today? She had an "expert" on talking about xp updates ceasing. No mention of linux...just the microsoft press release about buying windows 7 or a new machine.
    I wonder what those 2 experts on George Hook's show will come up with.

The GH show is giving away microsoft 8 devices this week. Very clever tactic from MS. I dont think we will be hearing about the free competition there.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

No doubt, Linux is a robust platform for users at free of cost. But, the major concern is acceptability among Windows XP users. Most of Windows user loves XP because of its simplicity & eye-catching GUI(Graphical User Interface). In this situation, Most of migration will be happened towards Windows 7 platform rather than Linux or Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Think it may be important to say, for any newbies reading, that I've had no problems at all with drivers on any of the (5 or so) old and new PCs and laptops that I've installed Ubuntu on.

For "regular" users, I'd say most people would be fine if you set up the computer for them with Chrome
    LibreOffice and a
    desktop mail client.

These are all either available from the Ubuntu Software Center and just take a click to install or you can download the installers directly from the product site.

Might need to do Netflix too thesedays (a little trickier but well doable).

Anyone know of a good replacement for iTunes ? (Don't use it myself but just for general interest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

syklops wrote: »
    And when they go on the internet using IE 6, on their virtual WIndows XP machine they will be safe from all the nasties online, right?

Not quite what I meant, more the use of legacy programmes such as accounts etc. that don't need an internet connection. They could minimise the VM and use IE11 or better yet Firefox on Win 7 for web browsing.
    I am no great fan of Microsoft, but it has such a grip on businesses that they find they need to offer this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Call from Microsoft a/c rep.

Them: What's your migration plan for dealing with your Windows xp/Office 2003 problem.
    Me: We are replacing xp entirely, and trialling an open source operating system and open source productivity suite.
    Them: Let me know if I can help.

Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Call from Microsoft a/c rep.

Them: What's your migration plan for dealing with your Windows xp/Office 2003 problem.
    Me: We are replacing xp entirely, and trialling an open source operating system and open source productivity suite.
    Them: Let me know if I can help.

Bless.

I don't suppose he had an asian accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

syklops wrote: »
    I don't suppose he had an asian accent?

No, no....... oh you skeptic :p This is one I am somewhat familiar with ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm sure he was thinking about this one:
    "As WinXP death looms, Microsoft releases its operating system SOURCE CODE for free"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/25/microsoft_releases_operating_system_source_code/

;)

Advertisement