Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who knows the EXCUSE of a human who shot 1 of the 1st sea eagles born here in 110yrs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

I saw a video on youtube where an eagle lifted a baby off the ground and tried to kill it. They're called birds of prey for a reason.

You've based your opionion on a video you watched on YouTube???

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I saw a video on youtube where an eagle lifted a baby off the ground and tried to kill it. They're called birds of prey for a reason.

I saw a video where an alien space ship blew up the White House. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

I`ll take the results of the study in the post above yours rather than a bias based on a youtube video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

dhaslam wrote: »
    Why were 100 Norwegian eagles allowed to be released into the wild? It should have been obvious that such a large number would spread into farming areas and be poisoned or shot. They have no natural predators so if they do become established they will destroy a lot of the native birds and other wildlife.

First of all, the Golden Eagle Trust know that it will take between 15 and 20 breeding pairs to establish a sustainable population. Then factor in that they expect natural/unnatural (like poisoning or shooting) deaths to occur, potentially 70% and you've got your 100. This bird was one of 3 born here for 110 yrs - the Kerry chick died early and the Clare 2 were the greatest achievement for the reintroduction programme and for tourism in Clare -No, it's not at all obvious to me that some f*ckwit would do this because we're very proud of our eagles here in Clare.

Now, I've answered your question about the number - PLEASE tell me where you're getting your information about them destroying native birds and wildlife??

Bearing in mind that I actually LIVE next to these creatures and the local fishermen had some concerns until they realised that each one only needs a tiny amount of food every day. The biggest kind of sea eagle in the world only weighs 9k. They would take less in a week than a german fisherman does in an hour. They have to keep down their weight in order to fly, will take a fish right out of the lake (you should see it someday and then you'll be a fan) when they're hungry or a duck if they missed the fish and keep eating it over a few days.

See what some education can do? This time last year, I knew none of that.

Coming from a farming background myself, I wouldn't have much sympathy for the thing. These things can be an awful nuisance on a farm.

Most people here next to the eagles come from a farming background and they managed to learn about them. You're clearly not thinking that people from farming backgrounds can ever get educated and change their minds on a subject Cothrom - I'm sure my friends and neighbours here would put you straight on you thinking they'r stupid.

I'm sorry now, but you win the internets last night for THE DUMBEST INFORMATION, due to it being based on a trick video. WELL DONE!!!
    Prize is in the post. :pac::pac::pac:
    endacl wrote: »
    If you say it and get a ban Obliq, I'll be saying it too and joining you. Cnuts.

I know. I have to mind my manners though - this is too important to get banned for called someone a :mad::eek::confused::mad::(:mad::mad:

So again, Gardai are investigating the death of the white-tailed eagle and anyone with information should contact Nenagh Garda Station on 067-50450.

• Advertisement

Before.

1017509_563216097069641_1141423304_n.jpg
    (That's the daddy Caimin, catching a fish for one of his young wans standing on the rock behind him)

and after.

1912329_671435416247708_648866582_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774

This is one of the perils facing our eagles and other birds of prey. An X-ray of the young WTSE fledged in July 2013 near Mountshannon and found dead recently near Ballinderry, Co. Tipperary, shows c50 shot gun pellets embedded in its body. The X-ray also shows a broken leg and wing. Despite the amount of shot, evidence from this and the post-mortem suggests the bird lived on despite being severely wounded for several weeks before dying. The young male WTSE was a little over 9 months when he died, weighing just 3.05kg, about 1.5-2 kilos underweight. The debilitating effects of the shooting would have made it near impossible for the bird to find food and would have slowly starved to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

It's probably the same type of gob****e who went up Killough hill near Thurles years ago and killed the peregrines and destroyed their nest, the prime suspect used to drive around in a van with "kill all birds of prey" emblazoned on it...a pigeon racer.

I don't think the falcons ever made a comeback there.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

If..and it is a big if.....there is evidence that large birds of prey can have a financial impact on farmers, or others, by predating young animals surely it would it be a solution to 'compensate' affected parties in advance of any loss to take away their reasons for shooting these birds on an assumption that they are going to cause damage.

The possible cost (I have only ever read anecdotal reports of sporadic attacks) must be reasonable in the grand scheme of things in order to get these birds protected from illegal and misguided culling and give them a long term chance of survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I think that crimes like this ought to attract a mandatory minimum sentence of imprisonment(along with some other crimes).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Coming from a farming background myself, I wouldn't have much sympathy for the thing. These things can be an awful nuisance on a farm.

Coming from a planet Earth background, I have no sympathy for farmers. These things can be awful nuisance on a planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

That video was a CGI fake put together by Canadian university students. Google it!!

Don't spoil it!!

If..and it is a big if.....there is evidence that large birds of prey can have a financial impact on farmers, or others, by predating young animals surely it would it be a solution to 'compensate' affected parties in advance of any loss to take away their reasons for shooting these birds on an assumption that they are going to cause damage.

There's a report that Auldloon posted on the Clare forum, from Mull in Scotland where they have a well established WTSE population which shows how negligible the effect to farmers is.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/47060/0014566.pdf

I'm quoting here a fella who has been commenting on the Journal.ie report about it. He knows his stuff. http://www.thejournal.ie/white-tailed-eagle-shot-dead-tipperary-1346362-Mar2014/

"It hasn’t actually been proved Sean – if you’re talking about the study I’m thinking of it found that there was a small number of lambs (less than 10 I think, and c.3-4% of the dead lambs examined) that MIGHT have been killed by Eagles. Big difference between MIGHT and Have, and it was a tiny amount of lambs overall, not a threat to anyone’s livelihoods. And since they were brought back there’s been no problem with them taking lambs here either, and a lot of farmers have acknowledged that. Just a few ignorant ones who would rather stay ignorant than acknowledge the evidence unfortunately."

and

"There are scientific publications that show that any impact of WTSE’s is negligible, and the experience in the last 8 or so years with the release of over a hundred WTSE’s is that lamb predation simply isn’t an issue.

But yes – I agree that finances are the way to get through to the ignorant few, and as I said there’s a mechanism in EU CAP payments that would have SFP revoked for such illegal actions. No farmer wants his SFP taken."
    Tazz T wrote: »
    Coming from a planet Earth background, I have no sympathy for farmers. These things can be awful nuisance on a planet.

I can't agree with that, as all the farmers I know around here (bar one lunatic) are fully in support of these beautiful creatures. My local gun-club has nothing but respect for them and admire their hunting capabilities. Once you've seen a sea-eagle perched on an Island or nearly out of sight in the sky spot a fish on the surface a kilometre away, take off, hover and plummet down with deadly accuracy on it, there's no going back! Incredible birds.

mikep wrote: »
    It's probably the same type of gob****e who went up Killough hill near Thurles years ago and killed the peregrines and destroyed their nest, the prime suspect used to drive around in a van with "kill all birds of prey" emblazoned on it...a pigeon racer.

I don't think the falcons ever made a comeback there.

Jaysus, you're not serious? :confused: Hope the Gardaí are having a word with him then. It'll be the same "type", that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Have to say as a proud Tipp man living in exile, that I'm disgusted this morning hearing this news.
    Once again an idiot or two manages to blacken the name of the good and fine majority.
    I can think of plenty of suitable 'sentences' for the offenders of this crime, but they're not printable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shure they'll carry off our lambs and our childer and johnny down the road sees one making off with a small family car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Trebor Gluck

Obliq wrote: »
    Just thought I'd leave this here.
    Seriously - If you know who did this (and I'll get banned for what I WANT to call them) do something about them. I wouldn't trust someone who'd do this, or let them get away with it :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.thejournal.ie/white-tailed-eagle-shot-dead-tipperary-1346362-Mar2014/

and from the Golden Eagle Trust face book page

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774):

First Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle found dead in Tipperary

Golden Eagle Trust Press Release 5th March 2014

One of the first two White-tailed Eagles to fledge successfully from a nest in Co. Clare in 2013 has been found dead in Tipperary. The young male eagle was reared by a pair of White-tailed Eagles at a nest on Lough Derg, near Mountshannon, Co. Clare and successfully flew from the nest in July 2013 along with its sibling. After a few months of care by its parents both young eagles began to disperse more widely and become independent of their parents. The last confirmed sighting was of one of the two juveniles near Dromineer, Co. Tipperary, on the east shore of Lough Derg in January.

After information supplied by a member of the public and a subsequent search on lands on the shore of Lough Derg by an officer from the National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) and the Golden Eagle Trust Project Manager, Dr Allan Mee, the dead White-tailed Eagle was found near Ballinderry, North Tipperary, on the north-east shore of Lough Derg. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick, and radiographs showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. The impact of the shooting broke one of its legs and wings but the bird survived some weeks after the shooting before dying. The horrific nature of the bird’s shooting and ultimate death has shocked all those involved in the reintroduction project.

Jimmy Deenihan TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, said: “I am shocked by this crime. The birth of this bird was a special day for nature conservation in Ireland. So much work has gone into reintroducing this species here, and there has been wonderful cooperation by many different groups to achieve successful breeding. To have all this undone is a significant blow. Eagles are protected by law. I would urge anyone with information to contact An Garda Siochána or my Department’s staff in the area."

Finding one of the first two young White-tailed Eagles to fly from a nest in Ireland shot dead is heart-breaking”, added Dr. Allan Mee, Reintroduction Project Manager. “It is absolutely incomprehensible that someone would shoot one of these magnificent birds but even more shocking is that one of the first two Irish-bred eagles has been shot only 7 months after leaving the nest”.

“Although all losses impact the project, for me the loss of this male, the first Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle of the reintroduction programme, is especially difficult to take”, added Dr. Mee. "This bird and its sibling were the hope for the future of the species in Ireland. Many people spent months closely watching this bird’s progress until it flew from the nest near Mountshannon last year. I feel gutted for these people as well as the bird. Let’s hope its sibling and the other chicks to fly from nests in Ireland in 2014 will see a better fate. Ultimately it is up to ourselves to make this happen by cherishing the wonderful wildlife we do have, including eagles, and their habitats.”

The loss of one of the new generation of Irish-bred chicks comes as a serious blow to the reintroduction project. White-tailed Eagles reach maturity and begin breeding at about 4-5 years of age. The goal of re-establishing a viable population of the species depends on young Irish-bred eagle surviving and breeding themselves into the future.

Local NPWS District Conservation Officer Stefan Jones stated that the available evidence indicated that this offence resulted in an especially drawn out and horrific death for this bird: “This bird would have been unable to fish and forage as normal, and it appears that it slowly starved to death as a result. Bearing in mind the broken limbs and the fact that it had approximately 50 shotgun pellets in it, it is amazing it managed to survive for such a period.

John Harvey, Chairman of Mountshannon Community Council, reflected the shock felt locally in East Clare at the news that the first White-tailed Eagle chick reared in Ireland has been shot. “We are absolutely appalled that someone could have done this to such a magnificent bird. The chicks that flew the nest in Mountshannon last year captured everyone’s imagination. Local people have been heavily involved in watching the breeding pair here and the progress of their two chicks. We are sickened to think that someone would callously shoot them. It feels like we haven’t moved on as a people all that much since the dark days when these magnificent birds were wiped out.”

Investigations are ongoing by both An Garda Siochána and the NPWS and into the shooting. White-tailed Eagles are protected under the Wildlife Act (1976) and it is an offense to shoot or otherwise harm the species. Anyone with information on this crime should contact, in confidence, An Garda Siochána at 067-50450 or the National Parks and Wildlife Service at 076-1002501.

I would imagine the reason is that rightly or wrongly an individual felt their livestock and IRGO their livelihood was threatened by the birds and euthanised them by firearm. But they were inefficient in the attempt.

I would imagine the reason is that rightly or wrongly an individual felt their livestock and IRGO their livelihood was threatened by the birds and euthanised them by firearm. But they were inefficient in the attempt.

Fixed your post, unless you have better proof of livestock/livelyhoods being impacted on by the sea-eagles.

I imagine though, that you're right about the sick individual's reasoning. I say sick, because there's no need for that lack of education or narrow-minded unchanging attitude towards endangered species in this day and age. If farmers/gun clubs don't want to be tarred and feathered as knuckle-draggers, it's about time any sympathy for this kind of outrage was wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Having been around and involved in hunting and shooting since I was knee high to a grasshopper I can only say one thing : what the hell did the fool think to achieve ?

No indication that these eagles cause any live stock losses worth mentioning, no indication of predation on game birds/animals and as a bonus they do away with the odd cormorant.

If one feels that they needed to protect live stock they would have been far better of shooting grey crows, magpies and out of control dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

When I read about this type of shooting in Tipperary it makes me ashamed to be from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

dhaslam wrote: »
    They have no natural predators so if they do become established they will destroy a lot of the native birds and other wildlife.

Google Predator-Prey cycles. No natural and native predators are responsible for wiping out any natural and native prey, anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Google Predator-Prey cycles. No natural and native predators are responsible for wiping out any natural and native prey, anywhere!
    Except for Homo sapiens, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 1809allan

This news has made it to the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26458424

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I hope they feel so proud of themselves
    that they boast about it to someone with a brain, who report them

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Might not have been shot on the Tipperary side of the lake at all. Could have been clipped by a shooter on the other side of the lake, and landed on the Ballinderry side. The Bogmen on the other side are none too fond of protected species, as if they land and nest on that bog they could conceivably interfere with their harvesting rights....

http://www.thejournal.ie/bog-endangered-bird-1068452-Sep2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Might not have been shot on the Tipperary side of the lake at all. Could have been clipped by a shooter on the other side of the lake, and landed on the Ballinderry side. The Bogmen on the other side are none too fond of protected species, as if they land and nest on that bog they could conceivably interfere with their harvesting rights....

http://www.thejournal.ie/bog-endangered-bird-1068452-Sep2013/

Those bogs are already designated as SAC's for other reasons(mainly the presence of intact bog flora communities) so shooting protected birds isn't going to change these designations. Then again the person who shot this bird probably isn't the brightest tool in the box anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Those bogs are already designated as SAC's for other reasons(mainly the presence of intact bog flora communities) so shooting protected birds isn't going to change these designations. Then again the person who shot this bird probably isn't the brightest tool in the box anyway.

They're the type of knuckle-dragger who would be capable of something like this. They have no regard for the natural world, all they want is €€€€. The worry they have is that they will have another impediment to their not be able to continue to commercially harvest turf if a raptor is nesting in the bog, and they had a warning to their supporters last year to be on the look-out for birds of prey....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The worry they have is that they will have another impediment to their not be able to continue to commercially harvest turf if a raptor is nesting in the bog, and they had a warning to their supporters last year to be on the look-out for birds of prey....

Well that does indeed show the gross stupidity of some of these people. Sea-Eagles nest on cliffs or trees, so would never be found nesting directly on these bogs. Of the raptors that do ie. Merlins and Hen Harriers, they nest on blanket(not raised!!) bogs which are not subject to any turf cutting restrictions where these rights exist. On the general point the only bird that might cause restriction on turf cutting is the Red Grouse, but this species like most others will not breed on damages/cut bogs anyway so there really is no excuse to target any bird in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any leads to this??

Advertisement