Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€3.5K to spend, advice needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

That's not an Anniversary golf even though it seems some gobsheen registered it as one lol

Registration 03KE10295
    Make VOLKSWAGEN
    Model GOLF
    Description 1.8 GTI 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION 5DR A
    Engine Capacity (cc) 1781

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

noelf wrote: »
    Just Google blackwater motors enter vw golf E3000 to E4000 petrol...

Not an Anniversary model.

What do people think of S3's? They really seem to be a lot of car for the money.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s3/6558663

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

tossy has a lovely S3. He got it remapped to I think, c. 250 bhp and it's an absolute beast of a machine.

tossy has a lovely S3. He got it remapped to I think, c. 250 bhp and it's an absolute beast of a machine.

Really? I like them a lot, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Tossy, I'd love to hear your thoughts on living with an S3 and what you think of the silver one on Done Deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

For that kind of money I would only go for a Japanese car. If you are looking at A4 or BMW3 series why don't you consider Subaru Legacy:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/2.0-4DR-/201401220859246/advert?channel=CARS
    Bulletproof engines and gearboxes, much, much better drive than A4 and more reliable than BMW3.
    This particular one seems in good condition and only has had 2 owners which surely must be a big plus.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Theres actually more S3s on donedeal now than there has been in a looong time.
    Having driven tossys I can vouch for it being a beast! Insurance is 500e more me on an s3 than a TT which sucks but theres a couple of clean ones on dd atm.

How much was your remap tossy? Was it the downpipe you said to upgrade cos it collapses under boost?

I've an S3 for almost 2 years now, i love it - with a remap the are a very capable car.

The are high maintenance car though and if neglected by previous owners (the majority of them are) then you could be looking at big money to set right.

At the very least you'd want to be getting one with a clutch and timing belt done recently, Clutch is 8 hours in labor alone.

Next thing to look out for is haldex service history, the haldex is the clutch the controls the transfer of power from the prop shaft to the rear diff, oil change every 20k and filter every 40k is a must - if there is no evidence of this ever been done then walk away.

I bought a pristine UK car with 1 owner from new in the UK ( a guy i know imported it and sold it to me a few months later) it had the Clutch and timing belt just done and had around 130k on the clock, yet in the last 2 years i've spent well over 1k on it replacing wear and tear items, so if a good car from the UK with a massive history is going to cost you that much, imagine how much a bad one over here will cost?

when i was buying i test drove one for sale in Straffan that was described by the car dealer as the cleanest S3 for sale in the country, he wanted 4,900 at the time, i offered him 2k and told him he was dreaming - it would have needed i reckon 2.5K spent on it to bring it to the level of the car i eventually bought.

I'don't think it's possible to buy an S3 ( or by extension a TT) worth owning that's ready to go from the day you buy it for under 4.5/5K - maybe i have high standards but that's just my experience from the majority of examples for sale in Ireland.

EDIT: i'm not trying to turn you off them but just warning you to proceed with caution.
    How much was your remap tossy? Was it the downpipe you said to upgrade cos it collapses under boost?

Remap was around 350 euro (we got 3 S3's done on the same day so got a discount) It was the TIP (Turbo intake pipe) i upgraded to a forge motorsport silicon one before mapping ( a must,as the factory one collapses under full boost at around 4/5k creating a flat spot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

A mark 1 Skoda Octavia Vrs 1.8t all day long for me at that price .ive had 3 of these cars in the past and I must admit they are a great buy . 180bhp as standard and the tuning potential is massive . But a great car for long journeys also as I found the mpg is surprisingly good for a high powered petrol car . I guess they are the same as the 180bhp mark 4 gti golf , but in my opinion are a better and more comfortable car to drive . Not too many on donedeal at the mo. Vagdrivers website might have a few for sale . I had one of my Vrs tuned to 220bhp and I loved it . Better than any wrx , ;)

Colash wrote: »
    A mark 1 Skoda Octavia Vrs..... Better than any wrx , ;)

If it was a diesel VRS i would agree but the petrol just doesn't cut it when compared to a WRX.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    If it was a diesel VRS i would agree but the petrol just doesn't cut it when compared to a WRX.

I knew the scooby heads would nail me on that one ;) well the wrx I once has gave me nothing but heart ache , so I guess that's why I'm swaying towards the vrs ..

My hart is aching too - how can you compare a Skoda VRS to WRX? Are your for real?

walus wrote: »
    My hart is aching too - how can you compare a Skoda VRS to WRX? Are your for real?

I hope your "hart" is ok !! And I didn't compare them . I simply stated that in my opinion , the vrs I owned was a better over all car than the wrx I owned :)

I hope your "hart" is ok !! And I didn't compare them . I simply stated that in my opinion , the vrs I owned was a better over all car than the wrx I owned :)

My hart is ok even if its missing "e" every other beat. Thanks for concern ;). No, but seriously there are much better 7 - 10 year old cars to drive than A4 or BMW3. And that Skoda you talking about must have only been good from one set of lights to the other. I can not see it on a narrow, bendy and wet road...

My hart is ok even if its missing "e" every other beat. Thanks for concern ;). No, but seriously there are much better 7 - 10 year old cars to drive than A4 or BMW3. And that Skoda you talking about must have only been good from one set of lights to the other. I can not see it on a narrow, bendy and wet road...

Useless in the wet ,. Nothing like a wrx but in the terms of comfort, running costs the vrs wins hands down . Plus everywhere u look there is a wrx burbling along ;)

Useless in the wet ,. Nothing like a wrx but in the terms of comfort, running costs the vrs wins hands down . Plus everywhere u look there is a wrx burbling along ;)
    For low running cost you can have regular 2.0 boxer NA :).

For low running cost you can have regular 2.0 boxer NA :).

A gutless engine though the 2.0litre NA !

I simply stated that in my opinion , the vrs I owned was a better over all car than the wrx I owned :)

No you didn't
    I had one of my Vrs tuned to 220bhp and I loved it . Better than any wrx , ;)

Of course a VRS is going to win on comfort and running costs, who judges performance cars on that basis lol.

For that kind of money I would only go for a Japanese car. If you are looking at A4 or BMW3 series why don't you consider Subaru Legacy:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Subaru/Legacy/2.0-4DR-/201401220859246/advert?channel=CARS
    Bulletproof engines and gearboxes, much, much better drive than A4 and more reliable than BMW3.
    This particular one seems in good condition and only has had 2 owners which surely must be a big plus.

No interest in a Subaru, Legacy or WRX! Don't know why but they just do nothing for me :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

PrettyBoy wrote: »

My dad's E46 has ran perfectly for about 6 years now. It's a 318i. They are a great car. About 35mpg, decent performance(141bhp, nothing amazing but not bad), and it drives extremely well. Good sized boot and i'm 6'0 and fit comfortably into the back.

One in good condition is a very smart second hand buy imo. Get an SE as they are better equipped.

A gutless engine though the 2.0litre NA !
    At 0-60 they are not much - I agree. But at 160 km/h at bendy and wet road nothing with that enigine power/capacity would dare go faster. it simply is the difference between a fast car and a fast driver.
    OP here is looking at a BMW 318i, surely you can call this one powerful either. And I bet you that a Legacy would be much better to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Meh. 6-cylinder or don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Meh. 6-cylinder or don't bother.

Yeah I would agree but the 4 cylinder is still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Have one with the same engine except prefacelift. It's been very reliable for me besides one pig of a job (cranksaft sensor).

I came from a 1.4 corolla so this was a nice upgrade and I wouldn't call it slow. That being said, I have it over a year and i'm looking to trade up to a 325 for some more power.

They are a great handling car imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

Obviously the 6 pot is a superior engine to the 318ci but if youre not a big fan on performance it is decent enough, get you 0-60 in about 9 seconds. According to Parkers http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/bmw/3-series/coupe-1999/26548/

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

What do people think of S3's? They really seem to be a lot of car for the money.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-s3/6558663

Had one last year. They can move! I always had diesel. Loved the quick acceleration ....

At 0-60 they are not much - I agree. But at 160 km/h at bendy and wet road nothing with that enigine power/capacity would dare go faster. i.

I can't imagine a more terrifying experience than being in a FWD 2.0 NA A4 on a wet bendy road at 160 kmh, what a funny post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that 318 m sport is some car for that price, that 2L valvetronic engine can give problems if it hasnt been properly maintained... I would avoid the earlier E46's, but from 2002 / 03 on they should be fine if they have been properly looked after... the 2.5L 325ci's are ideal, but there dont appear to be any good ones for sale at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rado77

Hi gents, I'm looking for a new run-around and I need some advice. I've gone on done deal several times over the last few weeks with the hope that something would catch my eye but - if I'm honest - I don't know what I should be looking for.

I have around €3.5k to spend and in return I'd like something quick, relatively reliable and fun to drive. Doesn't have to be too practical either. Preferably a manual gearbox and anything up to 2.5l.

I've been looking at Audi S3's, Honda Prelude's and random Alfa's mostly. I need some guidance :P

If you had €3.5k to spend what would you buy?

I would go with Del Sol. After years of driving Jap sports cars wit turbo engines, RWD, 4WD, I bought Del Sol Sir 1.6 VTEC with autobox.
    Never liked the shape of Del Sols, but after seeing it, driving it, I have decided to give it a chance, so I bought one.....
    I did the swap from auto to manual gearbox, Tein suspension, a few more improvements and I just fell in love with the car.
    There is nothing out there to be compared to Del Sol, nothing. You can just buy every-day soulless plastic box and you will be just moving from point A to point B as most of people do, or you can buy Del Sol and give your life a little bit of uniqueness, character, personality, soul.

Advertisement