Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree that TV dramas are the best they have ever been today?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

No Television show prior to the 00's had the power to completely blow people away. We are now in an era where Tv shows have intricate storylines and each episode leaves people unable to wait for the next. A perfect example is Breaking Bad. We have never met such high standards in television with shows like breaking bad, dexter, the wire, game of thrones.

People always complain that Television is getting worse and worse, and I agree with this statement when it comes to traditional tv channels. But the idea that TV channels are the only way to measure standards is absurd, streaming is the future. Trust me, if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, watch it. You may think that "back in your day" there was actually decent stuff on tv but trust me on this... The best tv shows right now are better than anything we have ever witnessed in human history.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Drugs are baaaad m'kay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

No Television show prior to the 00's had the power to completely blow people away.

Dallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,721 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No Television show prior to the 00's had the power to completely blow people away. We are now in an era where Tv shows have intricate storylines and each episode leaves people unable to wait for the next. A perfect example is Breaking Bad. We have never met such high standards in television with shows like breaking bad, dexter, the wire, game of thrones.

People always complain that Television is getting worse and worse, and I agree with this statement when it comes to traditional tv channels. But the idea that TV channels are the only way to measure standards is absurd, streaming is the future. Trust me, if you haven't watched Breaking Bad, watch it. You may think that "back in your day" there was actually decent stuff on tv but trust me on this... The best tv shows right now are better than anything we have ever witnessed in human history.

I never watched any of those. But every highly praised programme from the past like Hill St Blues and now Downton Abbey eventually turns into a glorified soap opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Twin Peaks

where I come from the birds sing a pretty song.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Panthro wrote: »
    Dallas.

I shot jr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

We are in a golden age of television no doubt - The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad will forever be the benchmark for television series into the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Panthro wrote: »
    Dallas.
    Cheesy as f**k compared to todays best . If you missed 10 episodes in a row of it you wouldnt be lost. Dallas is a soap opera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

All of Human History...You do know, TV's only being going, less than a century, right?
    I mean technically correct and all, but Jesus, hold back the dramatics a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Star Trek, Dallas, Twin peaks, V etc etc. Tastes have changed, but the impact that tv series like these had on society was just as big as tv series from the '00's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I was going to write a lengthy articulate critique of your assertion, but instead I will just say this;

Balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I know its not a drama and I was only 4 when it was on TV, Who Shot Mr. Burns blew me off my feet. Who the hell would have thought it was
    the baby
    :pac:

But yes OP I think they are better these days. Most television, minus reality television which wad always ****, has come a long way. Comedy TV has gotten worse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

irishfeen wrote: »
    We are in a golden age of television no doubt - The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad will forever be the benchmark for television series into the future.

The Sopranos and the Wire started production over twelve years ago and ended quite a while ago by now too. I don't see many shows that are hitting that high ceiling at the moment tbh.

Lonesome Dove is still the finest four episodes of TV ever made.

Difference now is that these shows are worldwide events due to the internet, so they feel bigger than shows used to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

The golden age began with The West Wing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Just finished House of cards (US) great show too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

The best tv shows right now are better than anything we have ever witnessed in human history.

I'd hardly call the past 50 to 60 years human history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

New series of Cosmos presented by Neil De Grasse Tyson coming 9th March on FOX, YEAH THAT FOX.

Writer of original Cosmos is involved and Carl Sagan's wife, Ann Druyan is producing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cheesy as f**k compared to todays best . If you missed 10 episodes in a row of it you wouldnt be lost. Dallas is a soap opera
    Without Dallas, Breaking Bad et al would never have been made.

Dramas in the 60s were live, try that nowadays for a laugh.

bur wrote: »
    The Sopranos and the Wire started production over twelve years ago and ended quite a while ago by now too. I don't see many shows that are hitting that high ceiling at the moment tbh.

The single best season of TV was produced last year with Breaking Bad season 5. Therefore your statement is inaccurate. Also, check out True Detective which just began this year. I've a feeling that its gonna be a major show.

The Sopranos only ended in 2007 and the Wire in 2008 - hardly an age ago... two exceptional series in their own right. I think Breaking Bad has and Game of Thrones is on par with the quality of both though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

For TV series, you are probably right. But there are very few good one-off dramas now, like Abigail's Party (1977) or Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected (1979-1988).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I was going to write a lengthy articulate critique of your assertion, but instead I will just say this;

Balls.

A HBO drama about two tennis pros in 50s who are secretly CIA agents?

How did I miss this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Total BS

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs

killing off a main character (Bobby) only for the ratings to dive and then.
    oh! it was all just a dream Bobby's back :D funny stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Dramas in the 80s were live, try that nowadays for a laugh.

No.

No they weren't.

For me the 13 episodes of Season 5 in The Sopranos is television perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

The single best season of TV was produced last year with Breaking Bad season 5. Therefore your statement is inaccurate. Also, check out True Detective which just began this year. I've a feeling that its gonna be a major show.

Season Five wasn't even the best season of Breaking Bad imo. And yes, True Detective is pretty good too, fairly overrated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I think TV is great these days compared to Cinema.

The vast majority of 00+ movies are sh1t compared to movies of the 80's and 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The single best season of TV was produced last year with Breaking Bad season 5. Therefore your statement is inaccurate.
    Pfft, I'll still take The Wire's worst seasons (2 and 5) over Breaking Bad's best seasons.

I think TV is great these days compared to Cinema.

The vast majority of 00+ movies are sh1t compared to movies of the 80's and 90's.

Yeah I agree its been blown up too much with all these sequels. A lot of promising actors used to begin with TV shows in the 80's and 90's then move up to Movies. Nowadays the best actors and producers tend to stick with TV Shows throughout their careers and we are left with nothing but sh1t in the cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What movies are you basing this on? I see at least 50 new films every year and I can say it's as good as it has ever been. You just need to know where to look, hell even in the multiplex right now there's some very good variety.

Whenever anyone complains of modern movies I get a whiff of "I haven't seen it, but......" which isn't a good start for making any sort of case for or against something.

Advertisement