Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE Audit Elective 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Yeah that's right I just threw in oh we may need an auditors expert if we have no experience in valuing brands and then ****ted on bout how we'd go about getting a lad in with experience in area of valuing a brand!

Ye sim 3 had loads ES 4 ES 5 and issue with secondee - overall I said we should accept once we had safeguards and threw in the buzzword threats self review all that ****e!

Surely that's what they were after

Damn, decided not to say we'd need an expert even tho I did consider it. Yeah guess they would have needed one. What a horrible day. Wrecked and completely drained after the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ucd man wrote: »
    Also did anyone notice that in the case with property (case 1 I think), they should have not have been capitalising the property that was being leased as the rights and ownership had not transferred over. As a result, property was overstated by €4m?? I'm not sure bout this one? (think it was operating lease per IAS 17)

I said operating lease and corrected the journals

• Registered Users Posts: 14 redgerry 86

I also noticed in that q that investment properties had increased by 8 million and so did revaluation reserves and said they should not be posting gains in inv property to reval reserve. Anyone else see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

Sim 1 there was the impairment review, was there an issue of self review here?

I then did ISR 4400 for the report

Business risks I was looking at the wrong sim so I half my risks are from Sim 2, disaster.

Sim 2 Group Auditing.

SIM 3, I said we shouldnt accept becaue not because of ethics but that you shouldnt accept a job you wont be paid for. Bullet pointed the last indicator, fraud, relate party transactions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭danko2012

Have to say I thought sim 2 especially was a bit of a joke, I could understand sim 1 and 3 to an extreme but in sim 2 you are given nowhere near level of detail required to be advising?

Yeah sean murray giving out to people jumping to audit conclusions in the real world...well in the real world a newly hired audit manager would NEVER EVER be asked by the audit partner of the last 9 years to give his audit opinion.... I mean really??? If that was an audit partner he deserves some kick in the hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

The lease part was weird. I said we'd need to assess if it's operating or finance lease. Whatever they had done was wrong but wasn't wasting time getting into detail when you wouldn't know the correction (as you don't know if it's operating or finance).

IMO the impairment review was auditing work carried out by managements expert. I wouldn't think you'd employ an expert to conduct an impairment review.

This paper seems to have so many plausible alternative answers and indicators compared to any other year.

I noticed the revaluation reserve but didn't know what it was about so moved on. Nowhere near enough time for bits like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

The fact that we were the parent of Stockard Holland and also a sub of the group really confused me, did really know what do do with the planning memo, probably because it was sim2 of day 3 and my head wasnt working anymore

Last year's board report said more indicators would appear that would require us to think well they certainly achieved that.

Torres999 wrote: »
    The fact that we were the parent of Stockard Holland and also a sub of the group really confused me, did really know what do do with the planning memo, probably because it was sim2 of day 3 and my head wasnt working anymore

I thought throwing in business risks to that sim was unfair given there was so much else going on in it.

And in general adding in 'let me know of any other issues' or 'any other infornation we need' is really annoying. It makes you too unsure of whether there's another indicator. It's a bit of a cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭LOccitane

EDudder wrote: »
    I thought throwing in business risks to that sim was unfair given there was so much else going on in it.

And in general adding in 'let me know of any other issues' or 'any other infornation we need' is really annoying. It makes you too unsure of whether there's another indicator. It's a bit of a cop out.

I agree.... It's just every indicator was a compound indicator. I found myself constantly re reading the indicators and trying to squeeze in those parts where I could but not always managing it....

Business Risks was very poor phrasing. It was really audit risks full stop IMO...

For Sim 1 I found...

Growth plans despite sales growth of only 5% YOY and a severe 50% YOY drop on net profit with large cash depletion = unnecessary leveraging if growing and would give rise eventually to GC risk potentially.

Disproportionate or excessive investment in perishable inventory relative to revenue growth. Provision required against such? Details of post year end consumption of such stocks.

Need to sight lease agreement. Highly likely incorrect classification. On face of it if finance lease accounted for correctly at lower of PVMLP however likely operating given life of such assets. Calculated Materiality showed impact of adjustment. Seemed to be realising a surplus potentially on incorrectly capitalised assets (leased) as well or suggestions of doing so with the EUR 6,250...

Impairment of Buildings/Valuation. Local property available for much cheaper. IAS 36. Has such an assessment been completed.

Other Assets - Rebates receivable. Significant management estimation. Material YOY increase. Need details and post year end details of amounts received.

• Advertisement

The info supplied as well with our knowledge it was an operating lease, I reversed the journals corrected them...

The info supplied as well with our knowledge it was an operating lease, I reversed the journals corrected them...

Think I was rushing through that bit. I thought it said something like '5 yr lease and you can return at the end'. I thought that could be an operating lease, or a lease with option to buy (which is finance), or a lease of equipment with a short economic life.

I didn't spend much time on that though so reckon I missed or misread something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Androma1984

in relation to the similar amounts for the reval reserve and increase in investment property, I said if they are related we should check the reasons and confirm first if it is correct via additional work. And if so, gain should have gone to P&L not BS. Didn't re-read the paper since, but in SIM 2 the company we were auditing was a subsidiary and we were giving our report to the parent, but the Holland BV one was our company's sub. This sound correct? In the report we received from Holland BV in the middle of one of the paragraphs, it said that they did not stand over the operating controls so I said we needed to perform further work potentially. Ended up slightly getting confused as it is like the type 1 report for service organisations but obviously was not.

Just to people who think they coped with it half way decently - were you very cut throat with your time?

I started with the last sim and definitely spent too long on the ethical indicators.

Was anyone very strict with their timing? In my head if I was too strict I wouldn't have done well in the only indicators that seemed clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Howiyanow88

Soap_Soup wrote: »
    And was the report required an assurance report? A few people mentioned AUP afterwards but I thought if they were preparing the info and they wanted a level of assurance (indicated from their draft report) it couldn't be AUP?

That's what I thought.. I think we're right as they were producing the report!

That's what I thought.. I think we're right as they were producing the report!

No partner in Ireland would give a true and fair view for 3k however I Wentworth Iase3000 limited assurance... I think technically the answer is aup but surely they have to accept limited assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chris Partlow

So I seemed to be the only person who suggested not to accept the Winnifield audit. Balls!

Listed all the problems, mentioned mentioned the threats, mentioned one or two possible safeguards off the top of my head. But overall concluded that a reasonable and informed third party would not say that we were independent considering all the Non audit work we do/have done for them. Therefore, don't accept.

I hope to God I get some kind of credit for it because the thought process for my Audit Report answer wasn't nearly as coherent so I can write off that indicator!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

No partner in Ireland would give a true and fair view for 3k however I Wentworth Iase3000 limited assurance... I think technically the answer is aup but surely they have to accept limited assurance.

Went with isae 3000 as well

Went with isae 3000 as well

Limited ?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Limited ?

I went with reasonable but I'd say either way was grand. Isae 3000 seemed like the stand out way to answer in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Well that was one of the issues that you had to spot in their draft report. you were expected to get sufficient appropriate evidence that the stock amounts were accurate and given lower amount of risk ( checking amounts of stock ) I went with reasonable ( positive ) assurance.

Well that was one of the issues that you had to spot in their draft report. you were expected to get sufficient appropriate evidence that the stock amounts were accurate and given lower amount of risk ( checking amounts of stock ) I went with reasonable ( positive ) assurance.

The amount of work you need to do in real life to provide reasonable assurance - you would not do it for 3k.

I read this as being an AUP engagement: the EUR 3K is bang on what you would be paid for such in my experience.

I noted that the 'true and fair view' was completely inappropriate and ran with the contents of an ISRS 4400 engagement. No idea if that's correct but given the fee level I thought we would not be expressing any assurance, just factual findings.

Also noted re duty of care and tripartite relationship...

But could obviously be completely off..

LOccitane wrote: »
    I read this as being an AUP engagement: the EUR 3K is bang on what you would be paid for such in my experience.

I noted that the 'true and fair view' was completely inappropriate and ran with the contents of an ISRS 4400 engagement. No idea if that's correct but given the fee level I thought we would not be expressing any assurance, just factual findings.

AUP is 100% right in my opinion - However Limited Assurance can be given and i went with that and the procedures that would be required to give it . I also mentioned duty of care and tripartite relationship and i redrafted the note to read as limited assurance.

I spoke to Sean Murray after the exam he said both answers would be correct the key thing is that we WOULD NOT offer reasonable assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chris Partlow

AUP is 100% right in my opinion - However Limited Assurance can be given and i went with that and the procedures that would be required to give it . I also mentioned duty of care and tripartite relationship and i redrafted the note to read as limited assurance.

I spoke to Sean Murray after the exam he said both answers would be correct the key thing is that we WOULD NOT offer reasonable assurance.

Did he say anything about other indicators?

Way to make me feel good .. Thanks. Anyways it's one indicator lets not all get our collective nickers in a twist

Did he say anything about other indicators?

I don't think its fair on people for me to put stuff up here so I wont say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Is the duty of care/tripartite relationship M39 which was examinable in 2012? Just no mention of it in relation to it in the notes but I did see it in the 2012 solution.

Is the duty of care/tripartite relationship M39 which was examinable in 2012? Just no mention of it in relation to it in the notes but I did see it in the 2012 solution.

Hey: yeah that's it. It's in the AAE book. Basically I tied it in with the Address issue on the Report - it was open ended, exposing us to potential limitless liability.

We need to investigate whether we are in a tripartite engagement, the extent of duty of care owed etc before proceeding with the engagement. That's the approach I took anyway :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭danko2012

Hey: yeah that's it. It's in the AAE book. Basically I tied it in with the Address issue on the Report - it was open ended, exposing us to potential limitless liability.

We need to investigate whether we are in a tripartite engagement, the extent of duty of care owed etc before proceeding with the engagement. That's the approach I took anyway :-)

I didnt bother with deciding whether we could accept the engagement as ur wan said she was happy we could proceed... went with Isrs 4000 AUP as didnt want offer assurance but again its subjective as most indicators are!

Advertisement