Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Looks like Fianna Fail will be the majority party in Fingal Co Co. That seems like a major shift to me.

Still a lot of counting to go though.

http://data.fingal.ie/elections/

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Paulw wrote: »
    Looks like Fianna Fail will be the majority party in Fingal Co Co. That seems like a major shift to me.

Still a lot of counting to go though.

Reckon you're spot on. Although SF currently have the most elected, FF's greater number of candidates and superior vote management should see them become the majority party in Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I know none of them apart from David O'Connor & the one time I dealt with him over a sensitive local topic I found him to be a man of integrity who spoke his mind as opposed to what people may have wanted to hear.

Congrats Cllr O'Connor!

I know a good few of the councillors, from what I do, and I have to say that in our locality, the only one who knows what is going on is Darragh Butler (FF). He is a nice guy and does what he says he will do. That's all you can ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

As a new resident in Rush, can anyone tell me if any of the elected (or not yet excluded) canididates are from Rush? I know Jeanette McNamara is but she's been excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

trackguy wrote: »
    As a new resident in Rush, can anyone tell me if any of the elected (or not yet excluded) canididates are from Rush? I know Jeanette McNamara is but she's been excluded.

Brian Dennehy (FF) is from Rush and is a cert to be elected. Martin Barry (PBPA) is still in the running and may take the last seat. He also has a Rush address.

You can view a list of candidates and their addresses on the Fingal Co Co Website. Sorry I can't link it.

You can view a list of candidates and their addresses on the Fingal Co Co Website. Sorry I can't link it.

http://www.fingal.ie/your-council/voting-and-elections/local-elections-2014/

So, Balbriggan Ward looks like this...

JP Browne, FG
    Brain Dennehy, FF
    Ken Farrell, Lab
    Gráinne Maguire, Ind
    Barry Martin, PBP
    Tony Murphy, GP
    David O'Connor, Ind
    Malachy Quinn, SF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's going on in Swords? Only 2 elected after 2 days of counting. I can see stats but no reportage on why there's a delay. My mother told me there was a recount tomorrow.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yep, a recount tomorrow starting at 10am. Too close to call, it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Really disappointing that only 38% of the Skerries electorate voted on Friday. So Skerries now has only one County Councillor representing the town. The apathy might well be regretted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has Swords gone back to a full recount?

Unshelved wrote: »
    Really disappointing that only 38% of the Skerries electorate voted on Friday. So Skerries now has only one County Councillor representing the town. The apathy might well be regretted.

I think that Fine Gael can be partly to blame there also. They added JP Browne to the ticket when Tom O'Leary had already been selected at convention. By adding a second candidate they split the vote.

I would imagine that if it had been a head-to-head between Tom O'Leary & Ciaran Byrne (Lab) - they probably would have both been through. However, the three-way split for 'local' votes fecked it up for the two 'old-timers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not one candidate knocked on my door. Kids were round everyday stacking my letterbox with leaflets but not one person knocked.

Got in touch with all via twitter to outline I'd appreciate if they stopped firing in leaflets highlighting issues of no concern to me...and made an effort to hit the door and maybe sway my essential free vote.

A few did reply back but nothing further.

Ended up spoiling my local vote. Will be looking into a sign for no political leaflets going forward. The buildup was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Stheno wrote: »
    Has Swords gone back to a full recount?

Yes. First count completed with Lynam and Butler elected. It still looks very close.

http://data.fingal.ie/elections/index.htm?contit=453

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tropheus wrote: »
    Yes. First count completed with Lynam and Butler elected. It still looks very close.

http://data.fingal.ie/elections/index.htm?contit=453

Am having an entertaining evening watching the updates on here

What time do the counts finish in the evening?

They are close enough to the end here.

Do they wait until they are simply down to nine candidates and those are deemed elected?

I'd say this is the last count now. 8 candidates left for 7 seats.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I'd say this is the last count now. 8 candidates left for 7 seats.

I count ten on the link above?

This is after the 14th count?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

yep 10 still in hunt after count 14. The recount was called at this point yesterday but there is quite a bigger gap there between the last two now.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    I count ten on the link above?

This is after the 14th count?

Yes, bad at maths, or wishful thinking!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Only about 30 votes seperating the bottom four!

955, 963, 967 and 972.

Actually scuse the bad math, that's 17 votes between two seats on the council and not.

Quite interesting to watch the numbers go up and down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

They will finish it tonight. That was the plan this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

In case anyone hasn't seen it, this is an excellent website with animations of each count. It's really well done.

http://clairebyrne.ie/counts/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

TheDoc wrote: »
    Not one candidate knocked on my door. Kids were round everyday stacking my letterbox with leaflets but not one person knocked.

Got in touch with all via twitter to outline I'd appreciate if they stopped firing in leaflets highlighting issues of no concern to me...and made an effort to hit the door and maybe sway my essential free vote.

A few did reply back but nothing further.

Ended up spoiling my local vote. Will be looking into a sign for no political leaflets going forward. The buildup was disgraceful.
    what issue were the issues of concern to you?

Boards HQ were contacting the candidates from the main parties to offer them the opportunity to post here. As far as I am aware, only one candidate officially engaged across the whole country. :(

tHB
    Word back from HQ was that the candidates just weren't interested in using boards.ie as a medium for engaging with voters.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Word back from HQ was that the candidates just weren't interested in using boards.ie as a medium for engaging with voters.

tHB

Most likely afraid of putting both feet deeply in where they would be hard to extract.

Most had facebook pages where they can control what is posted.

Important bit now is find out when the clinics are go make your point or ask a question and post reply here.

Advertisement