Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public vs Private

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am currently midwife led in Holles st and I think it is the best care that you can get once you are considered no risk.
    You do not get scanned regularly but you do if you or the midwife has any concerns,the continuity of care is excellent ,you always have the same midwife and visits in semi private were on average 90 seconds (we used to time them from the waiting area!) visits are more like 15 minutes and she actually chats to you which is lovely. There is never a q and the longest wait I have had on 2 pregnancies was 20 minutes due to me being late.
    In Semi Private I had a 40 minute wait once but I think that was the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Public consultant led care in the rotunda and I'm scanned at every visit. Wait is v long though. In the Coombe in 2010 it was the same, scan at every visit but wait was a bit shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am currently midwife led in Holles st and I think it is the best care that you can get once you are considered no risk.
    You do not get scanned regularly but you do if you or the midwife has any concerns,the continuity of care is excellent ,you always have the same midwife and visits in semi private were on average 90 seconds (we used to time them from the waiting area!) visits are more like 15 minutes and she actually chats to you which is lovely. There is never a q and the longest wait I have had on 2 pregnancies was 20 minutes due to me being late.

Love the midwives they are the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Many women who are low risk can't avail of that even if low risk. Where I live is outside the catchment area. I was very glad of consultant led care once I knew I was having sections, and had built up a relationship with my consultant who delivered both of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Millem wrote: »
    Love the midwives they are the best :)

I didn't deal with many but the one who does the antenatal classes was not nice. Very rude to a young woman who asked.about birth plans telling her she was being silly and totally dismissed me when I asked about sections, telling me not to count on having one. I didn't. bother with the vbac classes as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lazygal wrote: »
    Many women who are low risk can't avail of that even if low risk. Where I live is outside the catchment area. I was very glad of consultant led care once I knew I was having sections, and had built up a relationship with my consultant who delivered both of mine.

There is no catchment area for the midwife clinic only the Domino scheme and community midwives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    I didn't deal with many but the one who does the antenatal classes was not nice. Very rude to a young woman who asked.about birth plans telling her she was being silly and totally dismissed me when I asked about sections, telling me not to count on having one. I didn't. bother with the vbac classes as a result.

FWIW I think the community/domino midwives are of a different calibre altogether tbh. They are very experienced and have to have a certain "way" about them if you know what I mean. You will find rude and arogant professionals in all walks of life... But id say you'd be he'd pressed to find one of those individuals in the community/ domino... Unless perhaps they were having a really bad day. But of course there is always one...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    FWIW I think the community/domino midwives are of a different calibre altogether tbh. They are very experienced and have to have a certain "way" about them if you know what I mean. You will find rude and arogant professionals in all walks of life... But id say you'd be he'd pressed to find one of those individuals in the community/ domino... Unless perhaps they were having a really bad day. But of course there is always one...

I reckon I have met all the domino midwives they are sooooo nice! I honestly have never met a bunch of people who love their job so much. They just love babies! When I had to wait for pediatrician to check the babs, one of the dominos came up to me for her break to see me and the babs! In my antenatal class one of the domino did dismiss birth plans and just basically said baby comes first if you get x, y or z you will get them! In fairness though my labour didn't go to plan I had great ideas of balls, showers and massage and point blank didn't want an epi, the reality was I was stuck on my back hooked up to machines and would of paid literally any amount of money for even a bit of gas and air!

I often bring the baby to my appts and the midwives in outpatients are always doting on him,they never get to see the babies just all the pregnant women. He loves them all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Had the complete opposite experience of midwife led in CUMH. No continuity of care, different midwife every time. much longer waits... Min wait was ove an hour and a half after appt time. And every visit there was something to warrant me being referred back to consultant clinic, meaning back of the queue for that. I was in clinic one day from an 8am appointment time until 4pm.

• Advertisement

That is a nightmare!!
    In Holles St it is a dream.
    Though in general CUMH sounds like a nice
    experience.

pwurple wrote: »
    Had the complete opposite experience of midwife led in CUMH. No continuity of care, different midwife every time. much longer waits... Min wait was ove an hour and a half after appt time. And every visit there was something to warrant me being referred back to consultant clinic, meaning back of the queue for that. I was in clinic one day from an 8am appointment time until 4pm.

In holles street domino I got a time and that was the time I got seen at. Never ever had to wait. My first app I was 10 mins late because of crazy roadworks and the midwife (who is real nice but not as friendly as the rest) kinda gave out to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is a nightmare!!
    In Holles St it is a dream.
    Though in general CUMH sounds like a nice
    experience.

Oh yes, CUMH in general is great. I think they have just understaffed the midwife led program so it doesn't work as well as the other places.

Advertisement