Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Laptop Stolen from House

Options
  • 02-03-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My 1 week old Toshiba C-50 laptop (navy in colour) was stolen from my house in Glenburren Park on the Tuam Road.

I paid €500 for it.

Nothing else was taken thankfully.

I have went around all the pawn shops and shops that take in laptops by either buying them or part-exchange against new ones and I have given them the model number (C50-A-19U) and the serial number (1E099772S).

I had the Gardaí at the house too to take a statement.

If anyone gets offered a Toshiba laptop could they let me know.

I have lost so much photo albums from all the places I've been to since 2006, music, work material etc.

This post is intended to raise awareness of laptops being stolen and also to seek advice.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie, DoneDeal etc too,might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DarrenJ

Hi Ben

Doing that too.

Thanks.

Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Sounds like their intent was to steal the laptop only. Did you tell anyone dodgy that you'd bought a new laptop? Also - what did you do with the box it came in?

I have the box it came in and the receipt. The serial number is on the box.

I only told two of the lads I live with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

DarrenJ wrote: »
    I have the box it came in and the receipt. The serial number is on the box.

I only told two of the lads I live with.

Could they have dodgy friends staying over.
    Its strange that nothing else was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

if you have dropbox or gmail installed and logged in on your laptop you will be bale to track the ip address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Learn that serial number off by heart, OP. Then wait, as you said, on Adverts and Done Deal. Just give a quick glance over the computer while "examining" it and if you see your number itll be your choice on what to do next.

Could they have dodgy friends staying over.
    Its strange that nothing else was stolen.

They do have lads that wouldn't be the nicest characters but I get on well with them and none of them stayed over since I bought the laptop.

if you have dropbox or gmail installed and logged in on your laptop you will be bale to track the ip address

I do have Gmail and have been watching it.

My IP is 95.44.240.39 here in Galway.

Activity a few hours ago at 178.167.134.210 which seems to be in Tipperary on the map shown. It says the company is Hutchinson 3G (my portable usb Internet Modem is also Hutchinson 3G).

Would this be any help to me?

How would I be able to track an IP address to another user?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Activity a few hours ago at 178.167.134.210 which seems to be in Tipperary on the map shown. It says the company is Hutchinson 3G (my portable usb Internet Modem is also Hutchinson 3G).

Thanks in advance!

That means they are connecting to the net via a 3 mobile broaband thingy.

You should contact 3 and qoute them that ip address. They would be able to see whos account is logging onto that ip in that time frame.
    Whether they would give it out is another issue, data protection etc.
    3 probably share their ips on their networks so unless the thief logs on via a static ip there is no way you can trace it. I could be wrong tho and it could be a static ip.
    I know eircoms ip are dynamic.

But 3 would defo be able to see whos account was using that particular ip. Maybe telling the guards that ip might help.

• Advertisement

Hutchison is the network 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Thanks in advance!

Yep, that's a Tipp IP. Now you have a problem as the thief has access to your email. Either change the password or leave it to keep tracking the laptop. If you do not change the password, delete completely (including trash bin) any delicate information such as banking details, passwords, logins etc.

You will need to inform the Gardai that you have an IP for the stolen laptop along with the ISP and they will need to request end user information from Three. Three will not release this info to you for data protection reasons therefore the Gardai will need to contact them

zarquon wrote: »
    Yep, that's a Tipp IP. Now you have a problem as the thief has access to your email. Either change the password or leave it to keep tracking the laptop. If you do not change the password, delete completely (including trash bin) any delicate information such as banking details, passwords, logins etc.

You will need to inform the Gardai that you have an IP for the stolen laptop along with the ISP and they will need to request end user information from Three. Three will not release this info to you for data protection reasons therefore the Gardai will need to contact them

keep the address going, looks like these guys dont know what they are doing. by right they should have wiped it

Looking at there IP they are very close to me, VERY close OP PM me ,

keep the address going, looks like these guys dont know what they are doing. by right they should have wiped it

Looking at there IP they are very close to me, VERY close OP PM me ,

They are probably snooping through his email looking for other valuable info. They may not be aware of the gmail IP tracking.

zarquon wrote: »
    They are probably snooping through his email looking for other valuable info. They may not be aware of the gmail IP tracking.

Bank details etc wont be confirmed by email, I bet this is how they may get caught.

Bank details etc wont be confirmed by email, I bet this is how they may get caught.

No but they could be after other stuff like paypal.

looks like its in cloughjordan

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Hope you get your laptop back op! Just wondering were there signs of break in, was laptop left within display of windows etc? Seems strange that you only have it a week, and it's been robbed now- Could your house mates friends stayed there the weekend or had the keys or copy of the keys off them, do you know do your house mates or their friends have connections or ties in Tipperary??

looks like its in cloughjordan

A couple of km north actually

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Hope you get your laptop back op! Just wondering were there signs of break in, was laptop left within display of windows etc? Seems strange that you only have it a week, and it's been robbed now- Could your house mates friends stayed there the weekend or had the keys or copy of the keys off them, do you know do your house mates or their friends have connections or ties in Tipperary??

The office I work in in the house is front facing and the laptop would be in view but the car is parked outside in a drive in porch right up to the window and the porch makes it very dark to see anything inside.

No friends of anyone I live with stayed over. It's very strange alright!

• Advertisement

flynnlives wrote: »

You should contact 3 and qoute them that ip address. They would be able to see whos account is logging onto that ip in that time frame.
    3 probably share their ips on their networks so unless the thief logs on via a static ip there is no way you can trace it. I could be wrong tho and it could be a static ip.

But 3 would defo be able to see whos account was using that particular ip. Maybe telling the guards that ip might help.

I did that yesterday - they can't give out that info and advised me to go to the Gardaí. I have a woman in the Crime Unit investigating the case.

I have a Garda on the case and am waiting for her to get back to me about getting in touch with 3.

if you have the MAC address give it to them. Garda are unreal as they will come back later asking for it because they will be asked for it. She may not be aware she needs it yet. Seriel no is only proof when they have the laptop in their hand. MAC can be identified within a network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe laptops are an easy thing to sell on.

You're hardly doing anything from a business point that would make it worth stealing for that reason?

I work as a self-employed Irish language translator.

The Bean-Gharda is on at 4pm and I'll get onto her to ring Three and try to get a name and address of the IP user and hopefully have the house searched. This is getting interesting!

if you have the MAC address give it to them. Garda are unreal as they will come back later asking for it because they will be asked for it. She may not be aware she needs it yet. Seriel no is only proof when they have the laptop in their hand. MAC can be identified within a network

It's a Toshiba laptop. I have to wait for the Bean-Gharda to start working at 4pm and I'll get in contact with her then. I hope they get the thief because there was another robbery close by too and it would be great to sort both cases out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I work as a self-employed Irish language translator.

The Bean-Gharda is on at 4pm and I'll get onto her to ring Three and try to get a name and address of the IP user and hopefully have the house searched. This is getting interesting!

fat chance that will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's a Toshiba laptop. I have to wait for the Bean-Gharda to start working at 4pm and I'll get in contact with her then. I hope they get the thief because there was another robbery close by too and it would be great to sort both cases out.

A little tip........... don't call her a bean garda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

+1. There is gender in Irish and they are Bean Gardai but they get all shirty if you refer to them as a Bean Gardai for some reason. A German Polizistin wouldn't take offence at being referred to by her gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

This looks like one to watch..I hope you get it back! And lets hope they don't realise the IP logging...This could be the new "I found a safe" thread..

Advertisement