Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the simpsons actually get worse after season 10?

Options
  • 28-02-2014 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

People always say to me (and movie bob from the escapist did a good video as well) claiming the simpsons didn't actually get worse, peoples perceptions just change. But when you actually watch it, all the classics are before the cut off point of season 10 or 11, whatever! To me there is, a noticable decline in quality in fact, coming up to the current season which is just.... I don't even know what the word is. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, big time. The Simpsons jumped the shark around the time or just before the movie released and it never recovered. Seasons 7 and 8 are golden. I used to look forward to Sunday nights for the new episodes in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It got worse a long time before Season 10.
    I thought it went downhill in 97 or 98. It seemed to become too overly dependent on celebrity appearances around that stage and that turned me right off it.
    It became a little bit too PC as well, the perfect example being Barney going dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Heroditas wrote: »
    It got worse a long time before Season 10.
    I thought it went downhill in 97 or 98. It seemed to become too overly dependent on celebrity appearances around that stage and that turned me right off it.
    It became a little bit too PC as well, the perfect example being Barney going dry.

Thats season 11 :p so good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

cloud493 wrote: »
    Thats season 11 :p so good example.

Ah yeah I knew it was after Season 10.
    I thought the writers got a bit lazy. Instead of trying to script new original stories, the stories started to mirror current affairs. While that can, at times, be very witty, a lot of it seemed quite forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

There are a few great episodes after 10 but not many. Too many parodies for me too - cant think of one funny one.

Cape fear the gf just reminded me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

I can't believe it's still on, now in it's 26th season!!. Die already

Icaras wrote: »
    There are a few great episodes after 10 but not many. Too many parodies for me too - cant think of one funny one.

Cape fear the gf just reminded me.

Season 5 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Seasons 4-6 are a goldmine and nothing will compare to them. I think it started to decline around Season 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I still enjoyed it a lot right up to season 15. From then on, I still watch it, with occasional decent episodes, outweighed by crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Barneys dry? I really haven't been watching in a long time :eek:

I agree though that after seasons 8 - 9 it went downhill spectacularly. I gave up watching and now only catching the odd repeat on Sky and RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think the last truly great episode was the behind the laughter special, which was either season 10 or 11. It was fairly patchy during season 10 but still had flashes of greatness. Nowadays half the episodes are about Lisa doing something boring, like getting an ipod or reading a book.

I saw a fairly new episode recently though about a group including Homer, Moe, Selma and principal Skinner getting together to write a tween novel and I actually thought it was really funny. It was a parody of a heist movie. Nowhere near golden age standard but funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Season 8 was perfection. I'd prefer to watch that over and over than any of the Simpsons from the last 10+ years

Too many parodies and guest stars. A friend of mine refuses to watch newer episodes. The storylines are very poor and the "jokes" usually have little to do with either the storyline or the characters. The humour used to come from the characters who actually made sense a long time ago.

7lpD7Uk.jpg

From the old to the new intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Flat screen tvs and iPods and mobile phones just don't seem right in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,566 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah yeah I knew it was after Season 10.
    I thought the writers got a bit lazy.

The writers didnt get lazy they just changed .
    Hardly any of the people who wrote the first ten series continued after series 10 as they were offered much more lucrative work elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I'll be honest, I don't even know what time and channel it's on anymore.

I remember watching a double bill at 6 on a Sunday and weekdays at 7 on Sky One. Are those still the times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Without question, one of the defining television programmes of all time. Nothing quite like it. At its peak in the mid-1990's, The Simpsons commanded a huge viewership in both the United States and around the world. Even today, it still widely recognisable, even if not as heavily watched.

The early seasons, up to and including Season 9, were bordering on genius at times. Season 10 was where the wheels started to come off. After that, it just kept limping on and on... until it had reached 26 bloated seasons. But many of the original fans (such as myself who would sulk for a week if I missed a new episode) have given up in disgust. A long time ago. I cannot remember the last time I watched a newer episode with any degree of seriousness. Wouldn't be bothered.

If you told me the title of an episode from the first 9 seasons, I could probably give you a brief synopsis and a few quotes from it. After that, I'd stare blankly at the mention of a title and not have a clue what it was about. Other than knowing it was crap...

For me, The Simpsons ended over 14 years ago. I have no desire to watch newer episodes. I barely acknowledge their existence.

One of the most horrible things about the whole thing is the transformation of Homer. He went from being a decent, loving man who was a bit slow, to a complete moron with a sadistic streak who inflicted cruelty without a hint of the decency of what went before. He is just not the same character. The Homer of the mid-1990's was one of the best characters ever. Now, nothing more than a used up joke, who's punchline has been heard a few times too many.

It will not end any time soon; as long as it is still a cash-cow for Fox, they will keep prodding the dying cow with a cattle-prod and force it to jump through hoops... until such time when she can jump no more and dies, despite attempts to stop it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There are still a few funny episodes every now and again, if you judge them at a lower standard to pre-SE10 episodes. The Sundance film festival one being a favourite of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I got bored when it became about which celebrity was the story going to be about this week but it seems to have improved again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

There are still a few funny episodes every now and again, if you judge them at a lower standard to pre-SE10 episodes. The Sundance film festival one being a favourite of mine

Chalmskinn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The episode where Lisa creates 'Equalia' with her new friend Juliet and the one where Lady Gaga guest stars typify the current Simpsons generation for me.

Unfunny storylines and an overeliance on guest stars to keep things fresh. I'm not up to speed on the recent episodes really but it seems that everytime I see one there's a guest star..it has just brcome the norm from what I see.

Also, the animation is far too clean cut on the later episodes..lost some of the charm imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

DazMarz wrote: »
    He went from being a decent, loving man who was a bit slow, to a complete moron with a sadistic steak who inflicted cruelty without a hint of the decency of what went before.

I've not seen it in years. Does Homer threaten people with the steak?
    ;)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Two words for you: Frank. Grimes.

Another two: Armin. Tamzarian.

'Nuff said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think I can sum up most of the complaints so far
    With the family in disarray, episodes increasingly resorted to gimmicky premises and nonsensical plots, trendy guest stars were shamelessly trotted out to grab ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I've not seen it in years. Does Homer threaten people with the steak?
    ;)

Got a good giggle out of that one! Fair play! :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

By the way, for those hankering for the humour that made those early seasons gold, I recommend the Frank Burly detective books by old timey Simpsons writer John Swartzwelder. It's basically Homer the detective and they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

quickbeam wrote: »
    Two words for you: Frank. Grimes.

Another two: Armin. Tamzarian.

'Nuff said.

I like the Frank Grimes episode, its one of my favourites but in typical post season 10 no ideas they invented Frank Grimes' son, to me this is just lazy.

The Armin episode is the exact point where it started to wrong for the Simpsons.

Frank Grimes was a great episode :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's been beyond redemption for about fifteen years now. The lovable Homer who went to college, drove the monorail, went into space etc. is completely different to the psychopath that you see nowadays.

They are just so bereft of ideas these days that they rely on bizarre alterations to old characters, or turn to guest appearances. I can't believe they are still milking this show after all this time.

Advertisement