Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep on railway

Options
  • 27-02-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Couple of sheep killed locally here on the railway,I was told by a neighbour its IIE who have responsibility to fence and have to compensate for the loss of the animal. Is this true? Not mine thank God.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

bikes wrote: »
    Couple of sheep killed locally here on the railway,I was told by a neighbour its IIE who have responsibility to fence and have to compensate for the loss of the animal. Is this true? Not mine thank God.

That sounds wrong. If the sheep went on the road the farmer would be responsible for the sheep and any damage caused. Why would the railway line be different. The farmer is responsible for stockproofing his land and I presume the farmer doesn't own the land under the railway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If they went through one of Irish Rail's own fences that were not maintained correctly, he may be able to claim. If they simply strayed through a gate left open, tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

If they went through one of Irish Rail's own fences that were not maintained correctly, he may be able to claim. If they simply strayed through a gate left open, tough.

But the sheep should have been contained in his land in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67049677

post 64

'We have land along a train line and it has always been fenced and the fence maintained by irish rail. Last year some cattle knocked the wire and got out onto the track and 1 was killed. We received compensation from Irish Rail for it '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Yep, IR compensate for loss. They have responsibility for maintaining the fences along lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Railway fence at fault - railway pays. Gate left open, or other matter under farmers control - their problem, not the railway.

Advertisement