Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky vs Digiweb

Options
  • 27-02-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

We've just managed to release ourselves from a contract with Vodafone because our broadband speeds were dreadful in the evenings - below 1 mbps on a 6 mbps line.

We're now looking to get broadband with someone who can provide a satisfactory speed during peak times. We did have Digiweb before and were relatively happy with their service, but we were wondering if Sky, who are €20 cheaper, generally provide a good service? We really don't want to get locked into another service with rubbish evening and weekend speeds, so if Sky is a risk we'll opt for Digiweb again!

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They are all suffering congestion at certain exchanges. It's generally not a provider issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

They are all suffering congestion at certain exchanges. It's generally not a provider issue.

Really? So there's a chance that none of the companies will be able to provide half-decent speeds during peak times? That's disappointing. Digiweb were definitely better than Vodafone when we were with them, I'm hoping that they'll still be better if we return to them.

Yep, it's a realistic possibility that the provider won't make a difference. Worth a try I suppose anyway.

Yep, it's a realistic possibility that the provider won't make a difference. Worth a try I suppose anyway.

Is there any way of finding out if my exchange is suffering from congestion problems? I'll go with Sky and save €20 per month if it's not going to make any difference to the speed of the BB.

The only way to find out is to ask people using the different providers at your exchange. My understanding is that on some exchanges providers like Sky and digiweb have their own equipment at the exchange and at others they are just fully reselling Eircom's service. If they have their own equipment at the exchange they may have more control over the backhaul, but at the end of the day, if there is not enough backhaul at the exchange then people will suffer from low speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

I'd recommend staying away from Digiweb if you have an alternative.

I was a customer (Metro) up until recently but have now cancelled. A basic fault developed which should have been a straight forward fix but they completely messed me about for over a month, scheduled engineer visits who failed to turn up on agreed days/times, support desk who were blatantly making stuff up as they went along and bounced me around departments for weeks with each blaming the other for the mess. I gave them enough chances to make things right but eventually got fed up and cancelled.

Easily the worst customer experience I ever came across from any type of service supplier. If any issues arise you're very likely to be in for a frustrating time.

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    I'd recommend staying away from Digiweb if you have an alternative.

Ok, cheers for that. We did have them six months ago and found them grand, although we didn't have any faults so we never had to engage with their CS.

A quick question if anyone knows: I see that eFibre is due to be rolled out at my exchange in July. Will Eircom be the only company offering the fibre service then or will other companies be able to offer it as well? I'd prefer not to go with Eircom if possible because I've heard they're rubbish. It'd be handy if I could get the fibre service through another ISP.

Other ISPs offer it, but only resell Eircom's product.

If the exchange has adequate backhaul eFibre is a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 "Beaker"

Here are some recent experiences with handful of digiweb customers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89093288

Beaker wrote:
    Here are some recent experiences with handful of digiweb customers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89093288

Cheers for that, it seems the entire broadband sector is full of cowboys. If they did away with contracts and people could move between companies more easily, I think there would be a fairly swift increase in the quality of service. As it is now, we're all getting conned by ISPs who collude together to keep the status quo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement