Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb worse than smartelecom

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have been a customer Smartelecom. Never with them I had no problem, it was always ok.
    Since I took them Digiweb all began.
    I live in Limerick, in the smart always had a speed of 8.5 Mbps download, ping about 40-50.The first problem with Digiweb speed dropped to 6 Mbps and ping 70-90.After my intervention, they sent a new router, technique and did not find anything, there were 6 Mb.After 2 weeks improved to 8 Mbps download ping on 70-90.But this is not the end, every now and then declines are speed, For instance yesterday I had 4 Mbps download speed and ping 150.
    2 of my friends also have the same problems.Looking for an alternative and stable connections at a reasonable price. Because the supplier is not suitable for further Cooperation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 "Beaker"

Couldn't agree more.

They had issues some months back and eventually fixed them (See this thread) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073923

As you will notice users on Fibre and DSL saw issues.

This was one of the better tests this evening, this is typical of evenings with Digiweb, what you might call congestion or contention.

3318215130.png

Now the dilema is what to do, I have never come across customer service as indiffernet since Digiweb took over.

Smart customer support was very execellent, they would log a call, call you back on a mobile number so you did not carry the cost and issues where sorted fairly quickly, I am with them from 2007.

Digiweb will insist that the service is uncontended regardless of the customer experience, they have refused to give the contention ratio and they will flat out deny that there are any issues, even when I highlited the thread above to them they denied it yet you can see that other customers did get answers eventually.

My neighbour was passed to a customer service manager after complaining and even He couldn't have cared less, needless to say there is no resolution other than to suck it up or move on.

It is nothing but fustration having to deal with them.

I am lucky that my neighbour has the same service and package so we can compare notes and having this info to hand moves the calls away from the "its your router" "its your wifi" "its the kids using phones etc" but it only gets to the fustrating part quicker.

If more people post about their issues mabye Digiweb might look at the problem instead of starting from the position of there being none.

3320214394.png

Now this is fairly normal when things are good.

To back it up here are the current ADSL stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Link Rate 8353 Kbps 759 Kbps
    Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 20.3 dB
    Noise Margin 11.6 dB 12.0 dB

I will stick another up later.

3320517620.png

Noise Margin 11.3 dB 12.0 dB

Apart from the increase in ping the speed seems okay.

3327087632.png

Noise Margin 11.7 dB 11.5 dB

Now remember folks, Digiweb Tech Support will swear blind that the service is as per Smart Telecom uncontended :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

"Beaker" wrote: »
    3327087632.png

Noise Margin 11.7 dB 11.5 dB

Now remember folks, Digiweb Tech Support will swear blind that the service is as per Smart Telecom uncontended :rolleyes:

You sure it's not advertised as uncongested, there is no such thing as an uncontended residential broadband package.

• Advertisement

@ White Heart Loon,

Smart Telecom was always sold as an uncontended service , for the vast majority of the time I have been a customer (2007) it was always the case, I am aware that there is no such thing as an uncontended residental package Smart got around this by using their own DSLAM equipment in the exchanges and by doing it as a sort of TDM arrangement, so for my timeslot this made it "uncontended" and it worked.

The service has gone to pot in the last while and it seems to coincide with the final rebranding of the smart products to digiweb products, my package is still the same as the smart telecom package, it could be still a good service into the local exchange and issues on the Digiweb Backhaul network.

As you will have read earlier my fustration comes from the lack of support from the provider and to change the package is tricky and slow as the service has to be released from the Smart/Digiweb DSLAM so other providers can take it up via the eircom reseller route, I have enquired and you get long estimates for swap over with them.

It was never uncontended, was miss-sold if it ever said it was. Uncontended means a 1:1 connection which isn't possible when you share equipment and backhaul to the exchange.

@ White Heart Loon

Thank you for your comments about contention, I am fully aware of what real uncontended connections are and I am also aware that they would not be commercially viable for domsetic users.

As I have already stated and also the OP stated the service level originally provided by Smart Telecom was always good and consistant, my experience was that this service always behaved as if it was uncontended as it never showed signs of contention.

This is no longer the case and when you have had a very good service over the number of years and it starts to diminish it is easy to notice it.

The change in the service level would appear to coincide with the rebranding and integration of Smart Telecoms assets into the Digiweb Network.

The thrust of the thread is the performace of the service has changed without notification to the Smart Telecom customer base and I for one am perplexed because Digiweb will insist otherwise.

I am hoping other Smart Telecom customers will share their experiences and stats.

3327289634.png

Noise Margin 12.2 dB 12.0 dB

Users going offline and going to bed by the looks of it! Less contention?

Check out the other Eircom and resellers congestion threads. They may have their own gear in the exchanges, but they share the same backhaul

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057142479

• Advertisement

Have done already, Thanks.

Reading that thread makes it look more likley that something has changed in the way Digiweb do things despite what they say. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Same Crap here :

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3327024862

Now it is running fine, heavly congested from 1800 to about 0100 everyday, afterwards back to normal.

Congested or not, Digiweb are a notch lower than smart who were a solid performer always..

Shows you when a company is doing something right then took over the level of service drops...

3329422893.png

Noise Margin 10.7 dB 11.5 dB

More stats for the record..............

3331515138.png

Noise Margin 11.4 dB 12.0 dB

A new record.........................low :(

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

Beaker wrote:
    3331515138.png

Noise Margin 11.4 dB 12.0 dB

A new record.........................low :(

With this attenuation you should not have bb or it is fault on line. how far from exchange are you?

@ domeld,

Can you explain why you think I should not have BB with those stats?

Looking at this site http://www.speedguide.net/faq_in_q.php?qid=371 my stats support the connection speed.

If you read the thread you will see that issue is contention and not continued poor performance, also you will note the DSL stats have hardly changed.

Distance to Exchange is roughly 3KM.

3335548143.png

Was working on a customer site today and got this....................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I was with Smart, then moved to Digiweb when I moved to a non-LLU exchange a couple of years ago. I don't recall having any significant performance issues, and only lost internet access temporarily when there was physical damage to a line a while back.

I switched to Digiweb VDSL a couple of weeks ago and have been happy with the service so far. This is what I'm getting now and it's been consistent with other times I've checked:
    3366444980.png

I was also very surprised by the VDSL router they gave me - a Fritz!Box 7360 with a typical retail price of around €150-200.

Maybe the problems you are seeing are more localised? I see two of you are in Louth.

I had problems with my router configuration the day I was switched over so called technical support, and although I was on hold for quite a while (about 20 mins, to be expected on a Friday afternoon) I found them quite helpful.

Advertisement