Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would I get an M12 expanding bolt?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 2:44pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to fit a ground anchor for a motorbike. The one supplied did not work, stuck in there now and the bolt just spins. Need an M12 expanding anchor bolt. I tried Woodies in Sandyford they do not have one, are there any other places that would?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Surprised Woddies didn't have one. But you should get one in any Building Suppliers or engineering shop or Farm Store.
    They very seldom fail unless the Concrete is off a poor quality. I might seem obvious but you also need to use a 12 mm Drill bit for a good fit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I bought a kit: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=133 - and as you can see it comes with everything. I followed the instructions on this video but it just does not drip, the bolt just spins! Any ideas?

Woodies has an M10 but not an M12. Are there any places in south Dublin that you know of that open late where I could get one tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Try Chadwicks in Sandyford Ind Est. I'm sure they'd have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm trying to fit a ground anchor for a motorbike. The one supplied did not work, stuck in there now and the bolt just spins. Need an M12 expanding anchor bolt. I tried Woodies in Sandyford they do not have one, are there any other places that would?

Thanks
    What thickness is the concrete?
    If its too thin, the bolt may have nothing to expand against
    . For the same reason you can't use these bolts on cavity blocks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's going into the ground in an underground carpark. So its tarmac with concrete underneath

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Thanks

Any builders merchants and builders providers.Deffo get it in Chadwicks and Heiton Buckleys.Make sure to use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tap the base of the unit into the hole (before screwing the actual bolt into it) so that she starts to expand outwards and grip the sides of the concrete hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

It's going into the ground in an underground carpark. So its tarmac with concrete underneath
    Get an extra long bolt from the builders merchants and drill down past the tarmac layer into the concrete.Then you wont have any problems.Give the expandable fitting a bloody good tap down into the concrete too,so thats its well seated into the hole and concrete.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you have no luck in the other places these will have them http://www.allmetalfasteners.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Safehands

jpb14 wrote: »
    Get an extra long bolt from the builders merchants and drill down past the tarmac layer into the concrete.Then you wont have any problems.Give the expandable fitting a bloody good tap down into the concrete too,so thats its well seated into the hole and concrete.

Or use a resin anchor grout. It comes in a tube like a mastic. Very reliable, great pull out strength. Need about 75mm anchor depth for any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Zascar, what did you do in the end, I've got the same problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Have you tried your local builders merchants?

Yep, I've gone up to all metal fastners, who've given me another expanding bolt, which should do the trick ( they reckon ) I just have to cut the original expanding bolt from the centre of the anchor so I can fit the new one. Seems like Zaskars problem mirrors my own.

A common problem is not using the correct bit or insufficient depth of concrete.

Yeah man, Have no idea what I was drilling through, its the front garden wall, took me about an hour and a half to drill to a depth of about 10cm, using a 20mm (Ithink) bit. The house was built about 50 years ago.

An hour and a half drilling one hole :eek:

Yep, the ladies love me ;) , I'd imagine the wall is solid enough, don't think i was going through breeze blocks. I think maybe the hole was too big for the expanding bolt, which is why it started spinning around when I was tightening it. (which seemed to happen to zascar)

Yep, the ladies love me ;) , I'd imagine the wall is solid enough, don't think i was going through breeze blocks. I think maybe the hole was too big for the expanding bolt, which is why it started spinning around when I was tightening it. (which seemed to happen to zascar)

If you use either an epoxy or a polyester anchor grout, it will hold most loads, even if the hole is too big. Google "Tecgrip CAS". This will do the job very well, with no messing around.

would you squirt that into the hole first and then immediately lash in the expanding bolt, and start twisting it till the bolt expands and then wait for grout to set?

would you squirt that into the hole first and then immediately lash in the expanding bolt, and start twisting it till the bolt expands and then wait for grout to set?

I would squirt a small amount in and push the bolt in with a twisting motion. No need to tighten the bolt, in fact no need for an expanding bolt at all. An ordinary bolt will do the job. Just one thing, make sure you have at least 50mm of embedment. After that, as a rule of thumb, every 50mm of embedded depth should give you about 1 tonne pull out strength, provided the concrete is good enough. But nobody needs that strength for a bike lock.

Sorry for late reply Skill. So I did try to find one but never managed it. Basically builder merchants have them but you have to call first. I still need to get one and fit it, but I can't find a drill that suits.

I have the exact drill bit that fits it, but its a size 16 and any drill i have tried will not take a 16. I may try to get one this weekend as there is a place near my parents I'm sure will stock it. After that I need to find a drill - it has to be cordless as there is no power in my underground carpark.

Let me know how you get on!

• Advertisement

Z, I got an expanding bolt all metal fastners in Finglas for a fiver, but I have to cut off the old one as its bet on :)

Which anchor do you have, is it the Hardie Secure swivel one? Is the bolt you got the exact same M12 bolt I'm looking for?

So was your anchor fitted, and now you have to get it out? How are you going to do that?

I could just pull it out from the hole. The expanding bolt didn't expand enough / the supplied drill bit was too big. And yes its the hardi one.

Ok, so Ive put in the new expanding bolt, and Im getting the same result, might go back up to all metal fastners tomorrow and get the next size up. And if that fails I'll give safehands anchor grout a go. Had a look in woodies earlier for it and couldn't find anything called anchor grout.
    I can whip up to chadwicks during lunch tomorrow ,see what they have on offer.

Z
    I've decided to start again. Went into Chadwicks and got an M12 expanding bolt (the one on Thomas Street) for 3 quid. Each expanding bolt has a number associated with the drill bit needed for its installation. I think the supplied drill bit for the hardie is too big and therefore the expanded bolt will never catch.
    While I was there I priced the anchor chemical grout gear they have, which comes in at about €25 for a huge tube of it (possibly needs to be put into a syringe type thing) but the chap said this stuff is the bomb. That would mean that 95% of the tube would go to waste, as it goes off if you don't use it.

Ultimately, I'm gonna buy an SDS drill, I'm fúcked if I'm gonna spend an hour and a half drilling a hole again. I think it would be a good investment anyway. I know wonda said he got one from lidl/aldi but there are a few on amazon, willing to spend about €100 any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Z
    I've decided to start again. Went into Chadwicks and got an M12 expanding bolt (the one on Thomas Street) for 3 quid. Each expanding bolt has a number associated with the drill bit needed for its installation. I think the supplied drill bit for the hardie is too big and therefore the expanded bolt will never catch.
    While I was there I priced the anchor chemical grout gear they have, which comes in at about €25 for a huge tube of it (possibly needs to be put into a syringe type thing) but the chap said this stuff is the bomb. That would mean that 95% of the tube would go to waste, as it goes off if you don't use it.

Ultimately, I'm gonna buy an SDS drill, I'm fúcked if I'm gonna spend an hour and a half drilling a hole again. I think it would be a good investment anyway. I know wonda said he got one from lidl/aldi but there are a few on amazon, willing to spend about €100 any recommendations?

I got a hitachi sds drill for about €140, great bit of kit. Can be used with sds chisel. Also has a safety clutch, won't throw you off a ladder. I'd never use a cheap drill again, too much effort and too dangerous. I often see similar hitachi ones going for less than €100 on adverts.

Any links to it? I heard that there are better drills than hitachi though?

Can I borrow it if you do buy one?? :D :pac:

I'm getting to the bottom of this Z, I'll have it sorted by Saturday next, which will include delivery of said sds drill. Or I may go into Chadwicks in the morning and get one there. It will be done, I promise you that!!

Ha ha just realised this is in the home and gardening section! WTF? can we have a mod move it? Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any links to it? I heard that there are better drills than hitachi though?

Yea there are better drills (Hilti or blue Bosch) but for the money they are good. I've installed doors, windows, taken up shores with 8" of concrete around it, not a bother to it.

I got the 220v version of this:
    http://www.meteorelectrical.com/hitachi-dh24pb3-sds-plus-hammer-drill-800w-motor-24mm-chuck-110v.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Can I borrow it if you do buy one?? :D :pac:

Not cordless! You said you needed a cordless one.i'd say you could hire a suitable one for little money.

Advertisement