Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginning fly fishing in dublin advice

Options
  • 24-02-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, im interested in giving fly fishing a go, iv got a rod somewhere it was my brothers, i think its a greys 9 footer, a general purpose beginner one as far as i know, he used it for trout. id like to give a fishery a go like aughrim, corckagh or rathbeggan. can anyone advise which one to try iv got good experience in aughrim but that was float fishing. also could u recommend a set up for me to use (i.e. fly and line) as i havent a clue, gonna be starting sometime in march.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 scottless

im thinkin courtlough or annamoe now, they look very nice??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

scottless wrote: »
    im thinkin courtlough or annamoe now, they look very nice??

Rathcoon is nice too in co Wicklow . If your a beginner I'd get a floating line It's easier t use. Get some fluorocarbon for your leader. Look up casting videos on YouTube . Also how to attach a dropper fly YouTube. You can practice over head cast in you garden if you have d space

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Corkagh park is fcuked.
    They know let people use bait on the fly lake which is crap and fish aren't in best of condition.
    Rathcoon is a place if like t try so maybe give that a go.
    You've also rathbeggan and maynooth fisheries to try though maynooth requires a bit of experience for certain areas on the lake. Few tricky spots on it

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Firstly, best advice is get a couple of casting lessons, it will stop you getting bad habits.

As for set up, get yourself two lines, a floating and an intermediate, which correspond with your rod weight. Put plenty of backing on the reel, then fly line, most important for a beginner is to use a tapered leader!! It will help you a lot with fly turnover! Attach that to tippet, tie on a fly and your ready to go!

Advise I was given when I started it when I was 15 was find an open field and practice your casts. Remember to keep your wrists straight don't bend your wrist. You'll know your doing it wrong when you hear the line whip or when it just falls on your head.
    Get a few lessons and then practice in a field for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

I'd advise skipping the dropper at the start. so just fish with a single fly until your used to it.
    And Definitely what Dodder angler said.

As was said don't start with dropper. One fly and a floating fly at that.
    Do t use weighted flies or lures just yet.
    If the line folds over your head can give a nasty smack with a weighted fly or lure to your noggin.
    Are you planning on lakes or rivers?
    Dodder is a great river to fly fish

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

If the line folds over your head can give a nasty smack with a weighted fly or lure to your noggin.

a friend of mine did that, had a weighted cats whisker on. i told him not to cast but to hold the rod when i changed flies. i heard swish swish THWACK ARRGHH. he tried and got the lure stuck in his chin! luckily barbless hook sipped out, we laughed after we got over the shock!

p.s buy good polarised sun glasses for eye protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's also a good idea to join the local club and to go out with a friend the first few times. It's amazing the tips you'll pick up being on the river for a day with somebody experienced - even if only slightly more advanced than yourself.

cheers for all the advice lads. i sent an email to garrett at courtlough so think im going to have a lesson with him soon.

is the dodder really any good? iv seen a few lads fish it around bushy park and off the churchtown road. ya need a ;licence dont ya?

• Advertisement

cheers for all the advice lads. i sent an email to garrett at courtlough so think im going to have a lesson with him soon.

is the dodder really any good? iv seen a few lads fish it around bushy park and off the churchtown road. ya need a ;licence dont ya?

It's only 10er a year mate and you can then fish bohernabreena reservoir which has plenty of nice browns and rainbows in it. Nice big place aswell.
    Dodder has some lovely secluded spots. Best to avoid the areas that's to crowded as it's mainly just lads drinking and acting the b0llox.
    There are some nice spots that wouldn't hold many fish but holds lovely trout.
    Great river.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Rathcoon is nice too in co Wicklow . If your a beginner I'd get a floating line It's easier t use. Get some fluorocarbon for your leader. Look up casting videos on YouTube . Also how to attach a dropper fly YouTube. You can practice over head cast in you garden if you have d space

Hmm...
    I was fishing There 2 Days And didnt Get a thing... As soon as i went To Laois Angling centre I got Fish... The Owner in Rathcon is nice. I tried everything Sinking Line Di3 lines Floating lines, im so disappoined!!! D:
    And for Advice
    I'd Get help From a Cast Instructor Trust me Its worth the Money, But i Went to one of the conventions And got Free help from pros (5 min Class) And i still helps me today Also Dont Buy Loads of flies Go to one of the nearest stores and ask Whats the best flies for Rivers and lakes around here!
    Good luck

checked the rod i have there its a greys G series 9'6" 6/7. what does 6/7 mean, is that like medium action?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

checked the rod i have there its a greys G series 9'6" 6/7. what does 6/7 mean, is that like medium action?

That's the rating for the fly line you should use with the rod for it to cast most effectively. If buying one I'd recommend a double Taber 6 weight floating line. That would suit a variety of fishing situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

the Dodder is a great little river to learn on as most of the lads who fly fish it are always good with advice for learners,by all means learn to fish rainbow trout fisheries too but both are differently fished.wait a few weeks for the stocked fish to be gone from the dodder and the large groups will be gone too. once the weather improves and more flies start to hatch the trout start coming more to artificial flies. still one bit of advice I would give to a learner (as well as wearing glasses) is Wear a HAT WITH A PEAK OR BRIM ,it cuts out incidental light ie the sky and helps your eyes adjust better to the river.It helps focus your eyes on a point, most importantly if your fly catches and suddenly comes back at face level you will find that you will instinctively drop your head,the peak/brim can stop a hook in the face.(and lastly you can wear the most ridiculous hat you like and nobody notices because you're an angler and they think we are mad anyway) best of luck & welcome to a great pastime.

Once the duckfly hatch on the dodder you'll be hooked literally!!
    One if main time I get the fly out every year.
    Nice size trout appear from nowhere and do be jumpin clear out of the water for the duckfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Once the duckfly hatch on the dodder you'll be hooked literally!!
    One if main time I get the fly out every year.
    Nice size trout appear from nowhere and do be jumpin clear out of the water for the duckfly.

duckfly on the dodder? surely you mean hawthorn fly?

Dont want to be funny but I dont know about this talk of going to boring dull predictable put and take rainbow trout fisheries. From within an hours drive from Dublin, going north, west and south there is excellent wild brown trout river fishing to be had at a very reasonable prices.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    duckfly on the dodder? surely you mean hawthorn fly?

Dont want to be funny but I dont know about this talk of going to boring dull predictable put and take rainbow trout fisheries. From within an hours drive from Dublin, going north, west and south there is excellent wild brown trout river fishing to be had at a very reasonable prices.

Nope duckfly.
    Few years now it's been getting hatches.
    Loch owel has good hatches of them aswell

I always associated duckfly with lakes rather than rivers. Hawthorn fly is a midge of rivers for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

a friend of mine did that, had a weighted cats whisker on. i told him not to cast but to hold the rod when i changed flies. i heard swish swish THWACK ARRGHH. he tried and got the lure stuck in his chin! luckily barbless hook sipped out, we laughed after we got over the shock!

p.s buy good polarised sun glasses for eye protection

As floattuber_lee says get good eye protection. Only takes one small mistake to have big consequences!

Keep practicing casting in a field/green space and if your very novice at it you can put a small bit of white paper over the hook. This will help you see the movement of it more clearly.

• Advertisement

rabwaygal wrote: »
    As floattuber_lee says get good eye protection. Only takes one small mistake to have big consequences!

Keep practicing casting in a field/green space and if your very novice at it you can put a small bit of white paper over the hook. This will help you see the movement of it more clearly.

or tie a piece of jay cloth to the end of it so no hooks involved that's how i started. use a hula hoop or something to aim at and try and get the 'fly' into it when your hitting it regular make it smaller. this is something you can do even when you have been doing it a while. helps keep your eye in during the off season!

I always associated duckfly with lakes rather than rivers. Hawthorn fly is a midge of rivers for sure.

Don't forget the dodder is fed by bohernabreena reservoir so larvae will travel down and sprout up

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

Curragh springs in kildare(Near the Curragh Camp) is a savage fishery.....maybe check it out

Dont want to be funny but I dont know about this talk of going to boring dull predictable put and take rainbow trout fisheries. .

I agree and disagree.
    As a beginner no better way to get hooked and knowledge on different flies than heading to a fishery.
    I started when I was 14 and had lessons in a field with a neighbour who has captioned Ireland in the senior fly team for a few years.
    Rivers can be tricky for a beginner and can end up with lost flies and loose line in trees.
    A fishery is perfect to sort out mistakes and learn casts.
    And with rainbow being thick they'll take anything so he can learn to play fish then.
    That's how I learned

Nope duckfly.
    Few years now it's been getting hatches.
    Loch owel has good hatches of them aswell

Are you sure they are chironomus anthracinus the true duck fly midge? Many anglers call all dark midges duck fly. It's rare to get that species of midge on rivers, particularly shallow rivers like the dodder.
    Yes you are correct lough owel has duck fly as does many other limestone loughs that contain the deeper holes that species prefer. Ennell too has an excellent hatch.

I agree and disagree.
    As a beginner no better way to get hooked and knowledge on different flies than heading to a fishery.
    I started when I was 14 and had lessons in a field with a neighbour who has captioned Ireland in the senior fly team for a few years.
    Rivers can be tricky for a beginner and can end up with lost flies and loose line in trees.
    A fishery is perfect to sort out mistakes and learn casts.
    And with rainbow being thick they'll take anything so he can learn to play fish then.
    That's how I learned

That true to a certain extent but in those places apart from learning the basics a budding angler will learn nothing about watercraft. The wild fishery will teach watercraft, stealth, observation and awareness skills in abundance.

That true to a certain extent but in those places apart from learning the basics a budding angler will learn nothing about watercraft. The wild fishery will teach watercraft, stealth, observation and awareness skills in abundance.

couldnt agree more stocked fisheries are good to learn the basics and catch fish but if (and its a big but many people just like to go and catch fish) you really want challenging and rewarding fishing the wild fisheries are the place to be. sure the fish are smaller (not in all cases) but when you catch one its worth 10 stockies! Everything you learn about flies from a rainbow lake discard and go smaller if you want success on wild rivers!

but for now stocked lakes will give excellent opportunity for casting practice, playing fish experience and the rest. fly fishing is like anything else, progression and everyone starts somewhere!

As was said rainbows are thick and will take anything. You will therefore learn nothing about fly selection at these fisheries. Neither will you learn how to cast in a river situation with trees, awkward banks etc. Get to a river!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

@dodderangler what sort of flies are you using when the duckfly hatch?

• Advertisement

Advertisement