Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony XPERIA Z2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Update on situation, got my phone back to day, plugged it into the charger, the port came right back out again. :mad:
    Went to the 'Talk to Vodafone' section of this forum and the Sheena from Vodafone advises me to bring it back again for repair, and if third time's the charm fonfix will replace the phone.
    Other instances have been reported here and here. Kinda sad now. Anyone else the magnetic side charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Lads hows the headphone volume on the z2?

Thinking of picking this up from clove sim free. Ive never been too happy with the low output from sony phones.. is this the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Lads hows the headphone volume on the z2?

Thinking of picking this up from clove sim free. Ive never been too happy with the low output from sony phones.. is this the same?

Mine blows the head off of me so i never have it past halfway up on the volume so i was surprised by the quality overall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Any idea how prone the z2 is to cracking? I've seen some reports which are putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭SuprSi

seagull wrote: »
    Any idea how prone the z2 is to cracking? I've seen some reports which are putting me off.

Do you mean the screen or the glass back? And do you mean after dropping it or just in general use?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I dropped my first one and cracked it, and unlike my HTC One it was unusable. Got it repaired in the UK for £150, way less than anyone over here would do it for. OEM too.

First phone I've put a case on, after 20 years and around the same number of handsets. It's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I was meaning the self cracking screen without being touched which was an issue with the z1

seagull wrote: »
    I was meaning the self cracking screen without being touched which was an issue with the z1

I haven't heard of this. I dropped my phone without a case onto some tarmac about a week after I got it and although there are some tiny dents in the corner, there were no problems with the screen or any other part of the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I'm sure it's been covered already (apologies for a repost), but what cover(s) would you recommend for the Z2? This is my first real "flagship" phone, and I'd like to keep it in good nick.

Oak76 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been covered already (apologies for a repost), but what cover(s) would you recommend for the Z2? This is my first real "flagship" phone, and I'd like to keep it in good nick.

I have this one;

Casemate Tough Case

It's got excellent protection and grip, though it blocks the magnetic charging port. Not a problem for me as I don't use it. It adds a little bit of bulk but is a good fit.

You can get it much cheaper here;

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/case-mate-tough-case-for-sony-xperia-z2-black-p43996.htm

There's a good selection on that site too, complete with reviews.

• Advertisement

I'm sure that since the launch of the Z3, we Z2 owners have been feeling a little left behind, well that may be rectified next year.
    http://www.android.gs/android-5-0-lollipop-for-sony-xperia-z2-to-arrive-q1q2-2015-z2-tablet-will-get-it-at-a-later-time/

4.4.4 Just went into my phone today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ciarano

Hi did the 4.4.4 update yesterday and today my horror the icons are massive :-o

Does anyone have a fixation on how to reduce icon size on sony z2 OR can I reverse to previous software version

My z2 now looks like a cheap copy with the icons

ciarano wrote: »
    Hi did the 4.4.4 update yesterday and today my horror the icons are massive :-o

Does anyone have a fixation on how to reduce icon size on sony z2 OR can I reverse to previous software version

My z2 now looks like a cheap copy with the icons
    Just hold out with it. Apparently we'll be getting Android 5 in the new year.

Yeah I noticed (how couldn't I!) the icons too, not a fan. I just wish Android would allow you to customise the icons like so many of the loaders do.

Lot of talk on the Z3 thread about the Lollipop update. My Z2 is getting it in now. The last major update for this phone perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

flazio wrote: »
    Lot of talk on the Z3 thread about the Lollipop update. My Z2 is getting it in now. The last major update for this phone perhaps?

Which network is that with? Nevermind, getting mine through Tesco now.

Vodafone.
    Also have a Z3 Wifi Tablet and Lollipop is going in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got it today myself, anyone now how to close all apps at once, since the update, I have to close them individually

Got it today myself, anyone now how to close all apps at once, since the update, I have to close them individually

Apparently that feature has been removed completely. I like the update for the most part but have two gripes;

No easy access to silent mode - previously I could just hold in the power button and there was an option to put the phone on silent and it's much more convoluted now, with me having to hold in the power button, use the volume rocker and then touch the screen.

Notifications bar - it's ugly! There are no problems when in Google apps as it's the same colour as the app, but if I open Dolphin browser or anything else, the bar turns blue and stands out a mile. It's really ugly. Is there any way of changing this?

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Apparently that feature has been removed completely. I like the update for the most part but have two gripes;

No easy access to silent mode - previously I could just hold in the power button and there was an option to put the phone on silent and it's much more convoluted now, with me having to hold in the power button, use the volume rocker and then touch the screen.

Notifications bar - it's ugly! There are no problems when in Google apps as it's the same colour as the app, but if I open Dolphin browser or anything else, the bar turns blue and stands out a mile. It's really ugly. Is there any way of changing this?

Yeah the blue bar is a bit odd... for turning to silent I just hold the volume down until it goes to silent?

hots wrote: »
    Yeah the blue bar is a bit odd... for turning to silent I just hold the volume down until it goes to silent?

Not so keen on that but it's an option, I guess it's only one extra click. Still, why remove a good feature?

As for the blue notifications bar, if you change the theme the a different colour it will change the notification bar so you can choose something less garish than the default blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Got the Lollipop update last night, went to bed with 34% battery last night, woke up this morning and my battery was dead. Anyone got problems with it?

I haven't had any battery issues at all

Overall I've been happy with the update. It looks and feels better, and I've gotten used to the missing silence option on the power button. However one thing that's annoying me is the WIFI. Previously in WIFI preferred it would stay off until it recognised either a familiar signal or an open source that I used. Now, the WIFI stays either on or off all the time, so while I'm in work it points to open networks that I have no interest in and when I turn it off, it doesn't turn back on when I get home.

Very annoying.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Overall I've been happy with the update. It looks and feels better, and I've gotten used to the missing silence option on the power button. However one thing that's annoying me is the WIFI. Previously in WIFI preferred it would stay off until it recognised either a familiar signal or an open source that I used. Now, the WIFI stays either on or off all the time, so while I'm in work it points to open networks that I have no interest in and when I turn it off, it doesn't turn back on when I get home.

Very annoying.

Never saw that function before but it sounds like IFTTT could be your friend? I use it to turn on/off my wifi within 50 yards of my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Has anyones phone started to freeze since they installed the lollipop update??

Mine has a few times for no reason whatsoever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Has anyone here successfully rooted an Xperia Z2 or installed TWRP on one without unlocking the bootloader? Dont want to do that and mess up the camera.

Im trying to find info on XDA, but I find that place to be a bit of a cluster**** at times, when just trying to quickly find info.

If you have, could you direct me to a guide or something that you used, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Running 4.4.4 (haven't updated to lollipop yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Following that, what's the best custom rom for speed? I find stock a bit sluggish at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Tinie wrote: »
    Has anyone here successfully rooted an Xperia Z2 or installed TWRP on one without unlocking the bootloader? Dont want to do that and mess up the camera.

Im trying to find info on XDA, but I find that place to be a bit of a cluster**** at times, when just trying to quickly find info.

If you have, could you direct me to a guide or something that you used, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Running 4.4.4 (haven't updated to lollipop yet).

I rooted my 4.4.2 Z2 - followed some guide on XDA which was pretty straightforward. It was a while ago, so can't help you with a specific link, sorry !

F.

Advertisement