Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performances in movies that blew you away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Jim Carrey in The Truman Show is one of my favourites.

Also love Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Have to give a nod to Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler too, something about that performance really stayed with me

• Registered Users Posts: 85,675 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ellen Burstyn is just sublime in Requiem for a Dream

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Ed Norton in American History X.
    Fuck me that was something else. I still remember watching it for the first time when it was on BBC really late one night. Shame he didn't win an Oscar for it, not that it really matters, but it does deserve to go down as one of the best performances in the last 20 years in my opinion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Both Pacino and Cazale in Dog Day Afternoon - perfect film for me. Pacino was good in some of his more famous roles but I think DDA is his best.

At least 11 of the actors in 12 Angry Men (Fonda I thought was actually the weak spot), but special mention for Balsalm, Cobb and Marshall.

Both films mentioned by the same director, probably no co-incidence.

• Advertisement

I recently saw 50/50 and have to say that Joseph Gordon Levitt's performance absolutely blew me away - I was not expecting it whatsoever,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone was sensational

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ed Norton in American History X.
    Fuck me that was something else. I still remember watching it for the first time when it was on BBC really late one night. Shame he didn't win an Oscar for it, not that it really matters, but it does deserve to go down as one of the best performances in the last 20 years in my opinion

Original director would probably disagree. Norton apparently had the film edited such that his part was by far the most prominent.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Both Pacino and Cazale in Dog Day Afternoon - perfect film for me. Pacino was good in some of his more famous roles but I think DDA is his best.

At least 11 of the actors in 12 Angry Men (Fonda I thought was actually the weak spot), but special mention for Balsalm, Cobb and Marshall.

Both films mentioned by the same director, probably no co-incidence.

Good call. Thought Fonda was also the big weakness in Once Upon A Time ...West; much too righteous to portray a villain effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭colmufc

I know its nit a film but ive just finished wstching rescue me box sets and the performance by John Scurti in the final episode is amazing completely different from what he was like thru out the show but stunning actor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I forgot one: Massimo Troisi in Il Postino (The postman).
    What a beautiful performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

My favs are

DDL in There Will Be Blood

Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight

De Niro in Raging Bull

Val Kilmer in The Doors was incredible. Just amazing as Jim Morrison.

Richard Harris as Bull Mc Cabe in The Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ellen Burstyn is just sublime in Requiem for a Dream

Agreed. Awesome performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Christian Bales's early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when American Psycho came out in '00 I think he really came into his own, commercially and artistically.

His performance is hillarious yet disturbing, we see a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gave his career a big boost.

He's been compared to Di Niro, but I think Christian has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

icon14.png
    MfMan wrote: »
    Original director would probably disagree. Norton apparently had the film edited such that his part was by far the most prominent.

With respect, who gives a ****? Maybe Kaye's first two cuts were superior, who knows and who cares. The end product is utterly riveting with an astonishing central performance.

========================

One shout I haven't seen is Hilary Swank's performance in Boy's Don't Cry. Forgotten about now but that was powerful stuff at the time. Difficult film to watch in parts, but she goes the whole hog with the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Another Al Pacino - "Scent of a Woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ben Mendlesohn in 'Animal Kingdom'.

You just felt a constant sense of threat and menace when watching him on screen. He's far from physically intimidating and even his slight lisp isn't something you'd associate with a villain but Jesus he was creepy.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Another Al Pacino - "Scent of a Woman"

Same as Devil's Advocate, Scarface and Heat, wholly scenery-chewing and OTT.
    Why does no-one mention his comparatively restrained turns in Donnie Brasco and The Insider?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pat Shortt in Garage, anyone?

Surprising as he's not someone you associate with serious acting and on top of that an amazing performance even for a serious actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Pat Shortt in Garage, anyone?

Surprising as he's not someone you associate with serious acting and on top of that an amazing performance even for a serious actor.

He was brilliant in that to be fair to him. Good shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Joaquin Phoenix in 'The Master'

This really blew me away, even as good of an actor that I knew he was. He completely inhibited the character of Freddie in the movie, so much that I was genuinely worried for how the hell he just went back to being normal after making that film.

The 'interview scene' with Hoffman is one of the greatest scenes of film in the past 15 years or so IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭cosatron

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Have to give a nod to Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler too, something about that performance really stayed with me

"i'm just a broken down piece of meat". Rourke was brilliant in all fairness. Just seen 12 years a slave and I was blown away by fassbender in it, what a performance, I was in shock leaving the cinema. The first scene in there will be blood, is the best scene I ever seen by a actor. Lewis is a legend and will go down as an all time great. And finally bale in the machinist was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Brad Dourif as Billy Bibbit in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Paddy Considine in Dead Mans Shoes.

James McAvoy in Filth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    James McAvoy in Filth

That film was messed up :eek:

deadybai wrote: »
    That film was messed up :eek:

McAvoy was superb :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

James Cromwell in L.A. Confidential
    Takeshi KItano in hana-bi
    Frances McDormand in Fargo
    Christina Ricci in Buffalo '66
    ... Maggie Gyllenhall in Secretary. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Robert DeNiro in Raging Bull and also loved Sam Rockwell in "Moon"

Advertisement