Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alpacas in ireland

Options
  • 23-02-2014 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

alpacas are a rip off but they would be sustainible if someone bred them and sold them real cheap because reason there dear is the majority ppl keeping them here are english see in england the system is diffrent their wooll is in demand there you cant get rid of it unless you bring it to england wich would happen with the wool merchants getting overflowed with woll from these animals there would be profit them

also anyone keep these animals the seem to be handy but at a cost
    like how do you mind them etc
    are they sustainible

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

alpacas are a rip off but they would be sustainible if someone bred them and sold them real cheap because reason there dear is the majority ppl keeping them here are english see in england the system is diffrent their wooll is in demand there you cant get rid of it unless you bring it to england wich would happen with the wool merchants getting overflowed with woll from these animals there would be profit them

are they sustainible

Punctuated Alpacas are great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

are they sustainible

Your first sentence is "but they would be sustainable..."
    Your last sentence is "are they sustainable"

You seem to have confused yourself

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Your first sentence is "but they would be sustainable..."
    Your last sentence is "are they sustainable"

You seem to have confused yourself

:)

Her/his confusion aside, do you have knowledge or experience of whether there might be a market for llama or alpaca wool in Ireland? Are there any woolen-mills remaining in the republic? I have always wondered what happens to all the sheep-fleeces after slaughter of lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Hi,

This article might help. I buy this sometimes and remembered an article about alpacas.

http://www.irishcountrymagazine.ie/site/article.php?article=73

-seablue

seablue wrote: »
    Hi,

This article might help. I buy this sometimes and remembered an article about alpacas.

http://www.irishcountrymagazine.ie/site/article.php?article=73

-seablue

Thanks but I'm not a subscriber and would not join for just one article. Can you remember the content regarding alpaca and llama wool for spinning/weaving in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I think alpacas are like the ostrich egg fad (and con) of several years ago. So if you get into it, make sure your eyes are wide open. In addition, they are VERY susceptible to TB so be careful if its about in your area.

I think alpacas are like the ostrich egg fad (and con) of several years ago. So if you get into it, make sure your eyes are wide open. In addition, they are VERY susceptible to TB so be careful if its about in your area.

That's important to know....thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Theres a ton of information about alpacas online and I see theres an association here, alpaca association of ireland, they have a website so thats probably the place to go. Ask the people who know... thats what I say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Theres a ton of information about alpacas online and I see theres an association here, alpaca association of ireland, they have a website so thats probably the place to go. Ask the people who know... thats what I say :D

It's important to ask them the right question though.
    Lots of people in early will make a few euro selling unusual breeds to the next fellas who once the market is saturated find themselves with expensive pets.

So other than supplying breeding stock is there a commercial market for their produce other than selling breeding stock.

Many of these unusual breeds are akin to pyramid schemes with the last lads in getting badly stung.

Advertisement