Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you change a wheel??

Options

Comments

I can change a wheel. Changing a tyre is worth paying someone else a tenner to do.
    Beat me to it! ;)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Beat me to it! ;)

Right, change the bloody title then! :D

Lived in the outback, where being able to do both was pretty much a requirement :)

mike_ie wrote: »
    Right, change the bloody title then! :D
    I can't, just like the sheriff from the next county says, "I'm outa mah juristtiction!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Anyone who can't change a tyre should be left to die at the side of the road to be eaten by the dingoes and wolves and their still warm corpse to be defiled by necrophilic monsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I can change a wheel. Have never tried changing a tyre, don't have the gear to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Massive flaw in the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

i can change both a tyre and a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

My first car was a bit of an old banger and I used to have loads of flat tyres- I knew how to change the wheel myself and in fact was really good at it as I had so much practice.:rolleyes:

But if I tried to change the wheel on the side of the road or anywhere public, invariably a man would stop to change it for me. ( Even though I would mostly have been much quicker as I was so familiar with it:p)

Bloody thing only started when it felt like it too, so had to get jump start loads of times.

Gave me faith in the men living in this country, for sure, had so many great experiences with being given help free of charge, with no ulterior motives from just really decent men.

VAG wheels are a **** to change. I say this as a proper bonafide man with my own lift and everything.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Massive flaw in the thread title.

Ya, but no point putting on the wheel without the tyre being attached to it, so your changing the tyre as well

whupdedo wrote: »
    Ya, but no point putting on the wheel without the tyre being attached to it, so your changing the tyre as well

Only you're not. You're fitting the wheel that just happens to have a different tyre attached.

Changing a tyre is monumentally different to changing a wheel. Try it sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Yes can do both, i can change tyre if i have a few useful tools at hand and i can change wheel no bother. I can do this on both car and bike. Im just great! :D

crosstownk wrote: »
    Only you're not. You're fitting the wheel that just happens to have a different tyre attached.

Changing a tyre is monumentally different to changing a wheel. Try it sometime.

No need, i know what's involved, my pedantic metre is reading off the chart tonight:rolleyes:

No need, i know what's involved, my pedantic metre is reading off the chart tonight:rolleyes:

My pedantic meter goes to infinity :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

Can you change a pedantic metre?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've never owned a car, so no. I can change tyres on my bike though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

OP, what if the tyre doesn't want to change?

Can you change a pedantic metre?

No need to, but I do need to calibrate it from time to time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah, changed many a tyre in my day, but the last time i had to change one, when i had a flat at home, had to call the AA, the idiots in the garage had used one of those pneumatic nut turny yokes, not a hope in hell i could get it off, tried a larger bar, the works, nothing was shifting it.

Pretty embarrassing having to call the AA out

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

No idea how to change one, I need to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Might sounds like a stupid question, but, do you know how to change a wheel on your car?

Never really thought about it much until now, but coming down from the local village, I hit a pothole that had opened up in the road due to the recent weather and did the passenger side wheel in. I pulled in to find no less than four other cars with their hazards on, who had just done the same thing.

The first car contained two girls heading up to Sligo for their RAG week, who had no idea how to use anything they had just pulled out of the boot, so they asked if I could help, which I was happy to.

Second car contained a couple in their 50's on the way into Galway. They didn't have a spare, but one of those cans of foam that hooks up to an air compressor and lines the inside of the wheel. Helped him out and got him on his way.

Third car was a guy in how 20's who couldn't figure out where the wheelbrace went, and was in serious danger of killing himself, handbrake off, car teetering up on top of the jack. Changed his wheel and sent him on his way.

Then I got round to changing my own wheel, and here I am now.

All kidding aside, why don't people know the very basics of car maintenance? I grew up in the countryside, where repairs were part and parcel of farm machinery. And I'm only in my early 30's, but I still grew up in a generation where you couldn't just pick up a mobile and call for help, there was a certain expectation of being able to take care of yourself. After all, if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, you should be able to get yourself out of trouble pretty easily? I assumed everyone was this way. Apparently not.

So, can you change a wheel? And if not, why not?

Paddy Englishman, paddy Irishman and paddy Scotsman.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Yes, I find it shocking that any able-driver wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Yes, I wasn't sure if I did until I noticed a had a flat tyre when the car was in the driveway so I said I'd try it and could call for help (my dad) if I couldn't do it but it was no bother!

I have roadside assistance with my car insurance anyway but at least now I know I can do it myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Technically yes I can, but I get flat tyres so infrequently, as in every two or three years (touch wood), that I completely forget the process and how to do it properly. So the lovely men from AXA Rescue come out and do it for me. And as I watch them, I think "Jesus, that's so simple, I'm an awful eejit for not doing it myself. I really must remember how it's done for next time".

And when next time comes along, three years later....tumbleweeds in my brain. Out comes the phone......"Hello, AXA?"

I do, however know how to check the oil, water, tyre pressure. I know people who have no idea how to check these.

So that's why my premium is so high.

Personally I believe that if a Breakdown Service is used to change a wheel, the driver should have to pay a call out charge of €50, just like your local garage would do. A flat wheel is NOT a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

ElleEm wrote: »
    I feel like such a princess saying this but I don't know how to change a tyre. I have been told how but have never done it. If I was alone and got a puncture, I would probably just phone my da to rescue me.

Same here

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

EazyD wrote: »
    Yes, I find it shocking that any able-driver wouldn't.

I would agree, yet 1/5th of the people in the above poll don't. It's been quite a while since my drivers test, but I remember hearing afterwards that there was going to be a practical component added to the test. I assume that changing a wheel didn't fall under this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I would agree, yet 1/5th of the people in the above poll don't. It's been quite a while since my drivers test, but I remember hearing afterwards that there was going to be a practical component added to the test. I assume that changing a wheel didn't fall under this then?

Unfortunately, it didn't. They just ask you to turn on the wipers...or something. Maybe, check the oil.

BS really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mickey H wrote: »
    A flat wheel is NOT a breakdown.

Technically, it would be. Wheels generally need to be round to turn, so if the wheel has somehow become flat, it could be every difficult to get it off the rim without cutting tools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

I've done it so many times that unless its been tightened to **** by a pneumatic gun I can usually do it in less than 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Have boob, will flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I know how to change a tyre, but honestly I am not strong enough to undo the nuts on the wheel. My tyres are put on in the garage and they use a machine to tighten them.

Years ago a guy in lovely suit driving a BMW got a flat tyre just outside my house. I live in the country(sticks). He asked if I could phone a number of local garages to help him out. I was very skeptical that they would, but I rang the garages anyway. As I predicted there was no joy from any garage.

So he decided he would change the tyre himself. He asked me where the spare tyre was located.......

The car had alloys on the wheels and he asked me what to do first. My reply was "I think you have to remove the alloys first". He wanted to know how to do that.....

When he knocked on my door I was hoovering with my new Dyson hoover. He wanted to know what the Dyson was.....I should have known at that point this guy had no clue.

The story has a good ending. He waited until my husband came home to changed the tyre for him.

Advertisement