Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using shipping containers as a home

• 23-02-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 cjw2014

Hey guys I am new to this forum so go gentle with me and I am not sure if this is the right part of boards to post in but here goes. Does anyone know of any examples of shipping containers being converted into a home in Ireland??? Looking to speak see if anyone has done it and see if they encountered any problems with planning or meeting the building regulations.

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Ive never seen them in Ireland but have seen them in the UK.
    They are a noce idea but they are pretty **** to be fair.
    You can look them up and get tours of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

condensation will be a big problem in our climate, have you any friends who are builders who have built steel sheds - they'll have seen condensation problems and fixes before.

how they'll meet the bilding regs will be an interesting question allright, there is a construction & planning forum under the rec main forum, you could ask there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ Macy Embarrassed Level

Why would you want to live in a shipping container?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

I've seen a report on the telly recently. They do that in germany in some of the larger towns and cities especially the ones with universities as a lot of the students had trouble finding affordable housing.
    I believe it was a company that stacked them and converted them into living quarters. Bizzare but seems to work.

They measure about 25square meter and cost about 390 euro per month.

http://www.bz-berlin.de/bezirk/treptow/leben-im-container-erste-kisten-bereit-article1803255.html they have some info, sorry it's in german.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Why would you want to live in a shipping container?

I was going to say its fairly obvious and must be cash related but I'm guessing to purchase and make a shipping container into something where you can actually live in would cost a fair bit, as in probably more than a decent caravan or mobile home...so I'd echo that question of why? with the added question of why not a mobile home or caravan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was going to say its fairly obvious and must be cash related but I'm guessing to purchase and make a shipping container into something where you can actually live in would cost a fair bit, as in probably more than a decent caravan or mobile home...so I'd echo that question of why? with the added question of why not a mobile home or caravan?

I suppose in theory you could do a lot more to insulate a container, and you also have more scope to build a bigger property as they are usually made up of several containers.

Not my cup of tea, but I have seen some of the things that people have done with containers, and if you have the time and money to carry out the project then I guess you could build something cool!

infosys wrote: »

Money would not have to be an issue then for the OP, you could get a house cheaper for those posted, without even factoring in that you would need land to "house" the container on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Money would not have to be an issue then for the OP, you could get a house cheaper for those posted, without even factoring in that you would need land to "house" the container on

"We have found that the final budget also depends heavily on whether you choose a hybrid or container-only design and is significantly impacted by smaller space design. Using nationally published averages for construction budgets, we have determined that across Numen's different designs, our container modules replace between 26% and 48% of the overall construction budget. The higher percentages are achieved only in our Small Space Designs. In every case, more than half of the overall construction budget is determined by the owners' choices for the items mentioned above."

http://www.numendevelopment.com/faqs

They quote a price range of $100 to $150 a sq foot, depending on finish.

"Our completed projects have ranged from $100/sq.ft. to $150/sq.ft with the upper and lower limits being the exceptions."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I think there a brilliant idea for housing or other accomadation needs ,
    Something even hospitals could use in the right set ups

• Advertisement

infosys wrote: »
    "We have found that the final budget also depends heavily on whether you choose a hybrid or container-only design and is significantly impacted by smaller space design. Using nationally published averages for construction budgets, we have determined that across Numen's different designs, our container modules replace between 26% and 48% of the overall construction budget. The higher percentages are achieved only in our Small Space Designs. In every case, more than half of the overall construction budget is determined by the owners' choices for the items mentioned above."

http://www.numendevelopment.com/faqs

They quote a price range of $100 to $150 a sq foot, depending on finish.

"Our completed projects have ranged from $100/sq.ft. to $150/sq.ft with the upper and lower limits being the exceptions."

Read the comments from the link you provided. 75k it cost to convert them. just a very quick search on my home but I'd rather this
    http://www.myhome.ie/2748003
    http://www.myhome.ie/2748003

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This actually came up *somewhere* on Boards a couple of years and there was a link to a guy who was selling them. I think he may be in Dundalk. I remember looking at the pics and thinking it was a cool idea. Unfortunately I can't remember any more details or what Forum it was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Hi cjw2014,
    This lady had the same idea the Caty was her name she was on the Mooney Show http://tinyurl.com/omn4wt6 she has a web site .
    cathyhogan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cjw2014

I seen it done in other countries and containers themselves are adaptable and strong but I want to know who has done it in Ireland to see what lessons they learn thanks guys for the advice. Doesn't kill sometimes to be a little bit different and think out of the box ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I know it's not Ireland, and they do have a better climate, but here's another example for you.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-living/house-of-the-week/9499795/House-of-the-week-Containers

I've got friends who turned them into baches/cribs (holiday homes) - better than a caravan!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

PS good luck - I'd love to think out of the box one day and covert an old church into a home (I've seen articles in magazines where it's been done), so I wish you the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cjw2014

Cheers on_my_oe I'm a big fan of design and architecture and think its great when old buildings, structures are reused. Hope you get the chance to make it happen one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not sure if anyone has covered this, but shipping containers here are pretty expensive. The metal is worth more then the actual unit itself, so a lot of them are being sold for scrap, and fetching high prices.

I was out with a mate last week who was buying one for his back of the house, using it as like a storage unit. Your talking between 6-10k for a container based on the size, excluding VAT and transport costs.

And you run the high risk, of obviously when your out, it being nicked or broken into. As I said, the value of the metal is massive at present, and I know from a few lads who own yards and trucking depots, there is a real issue with people breaking in and stealing containers, entirely, to sell for scrap. It's obviously extreme, but it's still something to consider.

I know a couple we know have a mobile home they have been using as a permenant residence. They bought it outwright and struck a deal with a site owner( I think I posted about it before). I know we looked into it for our first move out, when you look past the stereotype of "your living in essentially acaravan site" they can be pretty high spec and cheap to run. Couple we know using it while they save for a mortgage. Unfortunately not for me considering I need high speed internet, but if I was thinking of using a shipping container, I'd look into a mobile home.

They cost anywhere between 10-18k, come fully furnished and are surprisingly warm. You can strike a deal pretty easily with a site owner so you can get hooked up to the electricity and be there for the year, site owners aren't going to turn down steady annual income, regardless of the legality, although don't think its actually an issue. (open to correction)

I'd imagine you buying a shipping container and getting it fitted out, would completely nullify the whole point in the first place in terms of cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems like a lot of work and I've not been impressed by the ones I've seen. Would some sort of Wooden Cabin not be nicer and as cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

TheDoc wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has covered this, but shipping containers here are pretty expensive. The metal is worth more then the actual unit itself, so a lot of them are being sold for scrap, and fetching high prices.
    Your talking between 6-10k for a container based on the size, excluding VAT and transport costs.

I have seen used 40ft containers for sale on a certain classifieds site for €1,600. Condition might not be great though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I'd imagine you'd hafta cut windows etc in them but you could probably get one tarted up to a pretty high standard. There's dozens of them on disused industrial estates up my way,i've oftne wondered about making them habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

beauf wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of work and I've not been impressed by the ones I've seen. Would some sort of Wooden Cabin not be nicer and as cheap?
    It's easier to make a container weatherproof and has far less maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

This was done recently enough in Stepaside in Dublin. I remember them on Daft.ie

pic from pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/33917803417553980/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

There is a housing estate between the Fonthill Road and Grange Castle Rd (Clondalkin) and I think the houses there may have been partly made using old containers. Brightly coloured estate on your right (if heading from Fonthill to GC Rd).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Jacovs

cjw2014 wrote: »
    I seen it done in other countries and containers themselves are adaptable and strong but I want to know who has done it in Ireland to see what lessons they learn thanks guys for the advice. Doesn't kill sometimes to be a little bit different and think out of the box ;)

Grand Designs season 14 episode 4, guy in county Derry building his house from 4 containers. Whole 44 minute video that should give you a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2041kuJs1xw

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

follow the one in Dublin's progress here - https://www.facebook.com/RIPPLEcontainerhomes?fref=nf

the first to be across the building regs in the country apparently.

they say they are going to share all the build/ technical details soon.

containers are not expensive.. 20ft can be got for €1K and 40ft €2K plus.. condition is adequate for a build as you will be doing a lot of mods on it anyway. we have them in place at the seaside in Galway for 10years plus for a commercial operation. Security is A1 in comparable to any other form of building and thats only in their standard construction - this can be easily ramped up for a home solution with addition of doors, alarm etc..

sure beats a €250K rope from the bank around your neck for 35 years!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Stayed in a guesthouse/B&B recently in Taiwan which was created from shipping containers for the most part, nice idea, terrible in reality. The first "room" we had had black mold all over the false ceiling and walls, moved. Second room had been recently redecorated however you could see from the silicon around the windows and in the bathroom that there had been a heavy mold issue there to. On these containers one long and one short side had been almost entirely removed and replaced with glass. Ventilation was a big issue, after taking a shower the bathroom door had to be kept firmly closed with the (seemingly adequately sized) fan on full blast. Couldn't use the air-conditioning in the first room as the vibrations from the unit caused the whole container to "thrum". Second night it rained, not extremely heavily, but enough that the noise on the roof was annoying. If in the position where I had to choose between a container and a mobile home/caravan I'd be in the latter like a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

so I'd echo that question of why? with the added question of why not a mobile home or caravan?
    Have it built in Germany, and shipped by sip and truck to your destination. But you get what you pay for; go cheap, and you get cheap.

Advertisement