Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene Usage

Options
  • 22-02-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have just spent my first winter in this house (large 3 bed semi). I had 1000 litres delivered to an empty tank mid November, by the end of January it had emptied.

I had another 1000 litres delivered 27th January and set the timer to 1.5 hours in the morning and 3.5 hours at night. The temperature on the boiler (no room stat) is set to about 25% of maximum. The hot water heats at the same time as heating is on.

During these 26 days I have used about another 300 litres.

My previous house (4 bed detached) used 2500 litres over the 12 months I was in it. This one seems to be using much more and not producing as much heat (I've had the electric fire on more often here). I have bled all the radiators.

Does this seem reasonable for this size of house during the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How warm do you have the house ?
    Do you heat the whole house ?
    When was the boiler last serviced ??
    Is there a back boiler ?? Does it heat up from the oil boiler (don't laugh, happens)
    And mainly how insulated and fraught sealed is yr house ...
    Does sound like a Lot of oil ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12 janenewcastle

As I said, no room stat only temperature setting on the boiler, set to about 25% of maximum

The boiler was serviced just before I moved in last July

No back boiler

The whole house is upvc double glazed (except ironically the living room) and front door (which opens to a porch)

Yes I heat the whole house, but the dining room and back bedroom radiators are set to low.

12 radiators in total (for some reason some of the rooms have two very small single panel radiators instead of a normal sized double panel)

Do you mean that the thermostat on the top of boiler is set to about 25 degrees , (think it should be around 80 ) ,
    Sounds a bit weird ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

There are no numbers on it, only a dial starting small and getting thicker, the landlord told me that having it turned about two thirds around was warm, I've got it at about one third round. I will see if I can upload a picture of it.

Anyone? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Anyone? :)

Set it to 75%. Did the landlord give you a BER cert? I would guess that the whole system is poorly controlled, maybe even poorly installed. Not even a basic room stat.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Won't turning it up higher use more oil?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The house must be freezing with the water temperature so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am having the same problem. i got a the that goes from about 65 to 90 , what the ideal temp considering the hot water seems to be able to take the hand off you but the rads are only warmish.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭alancar89

At 1/4 of the dial are rads very hot? If they are it could be a dodgey thermostat. If the boiler wasn't properly serviced it could be that the nozzle put in is not big enough to heat the boiler either and its staying running all the time. If you turn it on constant after 20-30 mins does it turn of for a few mins then kick in and out evey few mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Not nessearly, it's a bit like boiling a big pot of water on the cookery with the gas turned down low. Takes longer and actually uses more fuel.

As your house is rented then it's the landlords responsibility to get boiler professional serviced.

There is a MAJOR difference in the quality of servicing out there, some can save you hundreds in fuel, some can cost you hundreds in fuel !

Are you using the right fuel for the boiler ? Ie running kerosene in a boiler set for Kerosene ,and not for diesel ??
    Try saying it to your landlord about how much fuel your using ... And have a look at your BER rating,
    I know every house is different but I'm using my heating more and will probably use about 700 liters over winter in a stone cottage..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yes, at this temp it turns on and off, the radiators are warm but not hot. I will turn it up to half way tonight and see if there is a difference in the running. At about £8 a day I was worried and that's why I turned it down. The landlord has told me that they are organising a service for the boiler and I will talk to him about the running costs and see what he says.

Yes, at this temp it turns on and off, the radiators are warm but not hot. I will turn it up to half way tonight and see if there is a difference in the running. At about £8 a day I was worried and that's why I turned it down. The landlord has told me that they are organising a service for the boiler and I will talk to him about the running costs and see what he says.

Do you have a ber cert? Make sure to request a printout of the combustion analysis after the service.

No I don't have a bar cert, I will ask about one when the service happens, although it's been 3 weeks now since they said it was going to happen

No I don't have a bar cert, I will ask about one when the service happens, although it's been 3 weeks now since they said it was going to happen

Landlords are now required to provide tenants with one. A good one should allow the landlord to find a tenant easier, because it means that the tenant will have reduced energy bills and vice versa.

Btw you don't have to await the service to request a BER cert. Without it you could make a case for a reduction in rent to offset the extra energy costs.

Wearb wrote: »
    Landlords are now required to provide tenants with one. A good one should allow the landlord to find a tenant easier, because it means that the tenant will have reduced energy bills and vice versa.

Btw you don't have to await the service to request a BER cert. Without it you could make a case for a reduction in rent to offset the extra energy costs.

Thank you for the information, I will enquire if they even have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

irishgeo wrote: »
    i am having the same problem. i got a the that goes from about 65 to 90 , what the ideal temp considering the hot water seems to be able to take the hand off you but the rads are only warmish.

I keep mine at 65 and its hot enough to heat the rads but too hot for coming out of taps so I just closed off the valve in the immersion going into the tank a gee hair every time until the water coming out of taps was comfortable

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I keep mine at 65 and its hot enough to heat the rads but too hot for coming out of taps so I just closed off the valve in the immersion going into the tank a gee hair every time until the water coming out of taps was comfortable

Metric or Imperial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

scudo2 wrote: »
    Metric or Imperial ?

that would be 65deg Celcius

65 F would never heat the water hot enough to heat your house

That's not what I ment !!

:):):):):)

I think it was the other measurement (valve) he was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am completely lost. ill take some pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

When was the boiler last serviced? Any number of things within the boiler itself could cause it to be burning the oil at a very inefficient rate. A full service is approx €120 and normally consists of

"replacing the nozzle, cleaning the blast tube, checking / testing solonides, photocell & transformer. We disassemble the oil pump off the burner, replace any worn drive couplings, lubricate the motors shaft and bearings, check and adjust electrodes settings, reassemble the burner and test, adjusting oil pressure and air settings to the manufactures recommended settings".

I cut and pasted the above section from the website of the guy that services my boiler. Might be worth asking the landlord to have the boiler serviced.

dwiseman wrote: »
    When was the boiler last serviced? Any number of things within the boiler itself could cause it to be burning the oil at a very inefficient rate. A full service is approx €120 and normally consists of

"replacing the nozzle, cleaning the blast tube, checking / testing solonides, photocell & transformer. We disassemble the oil pump off the burner, replace any worn drive couplings, lubricate the motors shaft and bearings, check and adjust electrodes settings, reassemble the burner and test, adjusting oil pressure and air settings to the manufactures recommended settings".

I cut and pasted the above section from the website of the guy that services my boiler. Might be worth asking the landlord to have the boiler serviced.

That is only part of a good service. There is a lot more than that to it. I wouldn't expect anybody to dissamble the pump either, only take off the filter cover.

Have a gander here >> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83775491

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dwiseman

Wearb wrote: »
    That is only part of a good service. There is a lot more than that to it. I wouldn't expect anybody to dissamble the pump either, only take off the filter cover.

Have a gander here >> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83775491

I know that I only cut and pasted some of it to highlight that there are many things in the boiler to be checked to ensure that its functioning correctly and efficiently.

• Advertisement

dwiseman wrote: »
    I know that I only cut and pasted some of it to highlight that there are many things in the boiler to be checked to ensure that its functioning correctly and efficiently.

Perhaps not everybody knows that though. We don't want people reading that that is all there is to a service.

Advertisement