Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Are ya 087 or 088?" - Retro Phones

Options
  • 20-02-2014 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭

Taking a dig around and its been a long time since this reared its head in here. So howd you get started?

1st mobile I would have gotten was this beauty of a thing - Panasonic GD30
    panasonic-gd30-gd50.jpg
    http://www.gsmarena.com/panasonic_gd30-122.php
    Good old Esat Digifone Night Owl plan (with 20p text messages O_O )

Monochrome 4 line screen and space for 50 phone numbers. Plus a screw off aerial :pac:

Ah simpler times. No WAP here :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I had the one on the left, with no aerial after a month.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

motorola-4500x-1.jpg

^^

Now that's a real retro phone :P The dad had one on the 088 network.

My own first mobile was an 087 GD30:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I had a 3210 and then upgraded to a 3310 after a few years - wish I had stopped there. I'd gladly own a 3310 again, sure I only use the feckin' thing for calls and texts anyway. Plus I'd have Snake II

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ha I was eircell 088, some bastard Motorola !!
    I've often been credited to be the first person in Ennis to get a mobile phone back in 1997/98 ! :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ah the Motorola brick. :) We had Eircell Ready to Go on 087, it was an Alcatel. Lorry drivers in the nearby furniture factory carried 088 phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Another who had the Motorola on Eircell,around 1998 iirc.

motorola.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

087 is retro? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

087 is retro? :confused:

I couldnt think of a different question from when phones started becoming anyway commonplace :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Had one of these for work in the early 90's,around 94 iirc.

4500x.jpg

Was 088 on Eircell and weighed a tonne.Was cool having a phone on the move all the same though.

That lump was upgraded to one of these a few years later, which I thought was the bees knees at the time.

And then an Ericsson GA628 which was very innovative as you could actually change colours of the keypad backing!

And finally a Nokia 5110 that had ringtones and proper text messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I had a NEC CM3 carphone on 088 in 1994

Handset looked like this.

Still have it somewhere along with all the other mobiles I've owned. Part of the plan to open a museum!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I had a Motorola micro tac duo around 1994 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Loved the Panasonic.

This is my mobile phone history.

nec-p7.jpg

Starting with the analogue NEC P7 on the 088 Eircell network. . Excellent machine and easily cloned.

Nokia_1610.jpg

Then I went digital onto the 087 network. TEXT MESSAGES......YAY!!!!

Motorola-StarTAC.jpg

I thought this one was the business. They all had them on the telly and to me, it looked like one of the tricorders used on Star Trek. Nerd, I know.

nokia-3110_208288.jpg

This phone was the first to come with snake IIRC.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdkLibOp-xkaLC2Lbn7w1CgmDiWI-zvGO3-nv2uxSHQz2RGh3D

Or maybe it was this one. I'm not too sure.

22-61-large.jpg

Animal of a phone. Had this for around 3 years. It was rumoured that this phone could get service in areas where there was no service. Urban legend, but, I believe this one :D

Nokia_N70_(53104671).jpg

This was one of my favourites of all...... First phone with proper email functions.

nokia-n95-8gb-review.jpg

The camera on this was just phenomenal.

Then I went smartphone.....

Samsung-Galaxy-S-GT-I9000_01-580-90.jpg

My mind was blown.......:shock:

samsung-galaxy-s3-hands-on-9.jpg

And we are up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

my first phone was the Panasonic G 450 on the digifone network, the damn thing would burn the ears off you if the call lasted any length and of course they robbed you with the price of calls and texts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Remember you could get free texts for a while in 98 or 99 before it became popular and they started charging for them.

Remember you could get free texts for a while in 98 or 99 before it became popular and they started charging for them.
    Are you sure you have this one the right way around. From my memory, texts were always charged per text. Then they became part of bundles and promotions.For example, on Vodafone,for €20 you can get free VF to VF calls and texts. And still have €20 for making other network and landline calls and texts.

I remember having to pay 10p for a text in 1998/99

I remember around 2000 there was a work around for free texts that routed them through some message center in somalia or somewhere. Only problem was you could send it and it might arrive straight away or it might arrive 2 days later :pac:

I remember around 2000 there was a work around for free texts that routed them through some message center in somalia or somewhere. Only problem was you could send it and it might arrive straight away or it might arrive 2 days later :pac:
    Maybe thats how so many people get phishing texts from African princes asking for bank account numbers to deposit lottery winnings into! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Motorola Microtac, 1993/4. 088 with a 6 digit number. I still have the same number today.

image_zps3f75dba2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

A 6 digit number?

I'd one of these bad boys. Could only fit a line of text on the screen at the time.

DSC00557_zpsc422091c.jpg

roadsmart wrote: »
    Motorola Microtac, 1993/4. 088 with a 6 digit number. I still have the same number today.
    088 5xx xxx. I just missed the 6 digit numbers. When I got my first phone, the numbers had just moved to the seven digit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My first phone was a Motorola D520 with pull up aerial. Battery lasted ages but limited storage space for contacts and messaging. Names didn't appear when someone text you so it was great for your memory having to remember whose number was whose.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

image_zps3f75dba2.jpg
    A colleague of mine had similar in 1996, and I used to borrow it off her for on-call. The battery lasted about 6 hours, it was big and bulky and you fitted it on at the back of the phone (there were 2 batteries in the pack, one was always kept charging while the other was used). Everytime I put it in my handbag the battery would come undone from the phone, it was frustrating!

My first phone was Nokia 5110, and I was with Eircell billpay - phone calls cost 60p per minute at peaktimes and 20p off peak!

PippaChic wrote: »
    My first phone was Nokia 5110, and I was with Eircell billpay - phone calls cost 60p per minute at peaktimes and 20p off peak!
    It became an art to have a telephone conversation started and completed in under 1 minute!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mycroft H wrote: »
    A 6 digit number?

I'd one of these bad boys. Could only fit a line of text on the screen at the time.

DSC00557_zpsc422091c.jpg

Ericsson GF768 I think they were about 500 quid at the time iirc!!! I had one as a work phone back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It was the later Ericsson T10. I got it for nothing as off my uncle when he upgraded.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    A 6 digit number?

Text? Spoilt rotten, you was.
    PippaChic wrote: »
    A colleague of mine had similar in 1996, and I used to borrow it off her for on-call. The battery lasted about 6 hours

You'd be lucky to get 4 hours out of a battery LOL. There was a really fat battery you could get that would do it alright, but you couldn't leave it down or it would be swiped! Used to carry 3 to 4 batteries, they were almost as good as cash! Come to think of it, it's come full circle, as now I carry at least one spare for my galaxy s3:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cabledude wrote: »

Then I went smartphone.....

The two Nokias before this *were* smartphones. Lack of an app store (which the N95 got later on) didn't mean it didn't have a huge suite of applications available for it and every other thing you can use to define a smartphone.

I had the Panasonic from the opening post, then an NEC horror when it died for a while, then a 3210, 3330, 6210 (two player snake; if someone else had one, and you did it flat on a table), an Ericsson flip that I can't remember the number of, a Sagem myC2, then a Nokia 6670 - a proper smartphone a decade ago, a Samsung flip when it got washing machined; and then a constant upgrade cycle of Nokia's latest - N72, N95, N97, N8, 920.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Well f*ck yiz anyway, saw this thread earlier and have duly spent a good chunk of my Saturday cataloging my phone history...

My first was a Siemens C25. Got it from my Dad in '02/'03 when he upgraded his. Didn't really use it for much, I was 10 like so who was I gonna ring like?
    It was also my Dad's first phone. Still remember him bringing it home, it came with a free CD single of Westlife's Flying Without Wings where they were all on the cover holding phones to their ears. :pac:
    Siemens_c25.jpg

Was given my brother's old Nokie 3310 in early '04, started texting more, Snake addiction went into overdrive... Still in my top 3 of phones I've owned to this day.
    no3310_02.jpg

In late '04/early '05 there came a big leap forward, a phone with a COLOUR screen! AND IT COULD SURF THE INTERWEBS! At that time we barely could surf the internet on our crappy Eircom 56k modem because it was so slow. And the wonder that was POLYPHONIC ringtones. Sooo much better than crummy monophonic. :P
    I remember being introduced to some very vulgar websites that I took no pleasure in downloading pictures and videos from at all... ;) The Nokia 3510i was the first phone I had that was mine.
    nokia-3510i-big.jpg

I had that phone up until about the end of '05, and I can't even remember which order I got these next two in, but I suspect it was the following order:
    The Nokia 3200 is without a doubt the worst phone I've owned. Horrible buttons, ugly yoke, all round bad. First camera phone I had though, so I guess it's sort of a landmark...
    no3200_00.jpg

Quickly moved on from that to the Nokia 3220. This was alright, the lights on the side were cool and would light up in time with the ringtones you had, but they also fell off pretty quickly... Also had a nice enough camera and a decent voice recorder which I used to record clips of TV shows. Simpler times. :o
    no3220_00.jpg

And then, in mid '07, came what is without a doubt my favourite phone of all time. It was so good I bought a second one when my first one broke. The Nokia 6300, my first phone with Bluetooth and a USB slot. Sleek design, nice feel to the metal on the back, great screen. Only downside was the cover of the micro-usb slot broke very easily, in fact it was that that killed my first one because it came off and damp got in.
    nokia-6300-00.jpg

Then the era of Smartphones, which I won't spend too much time on.
    The Samsung Galaxy Spica was my first intro to them in 2010.
    samsung-spica-black.jpg

The Samsung Galaxy MINI:
    samsung-galaxy-mini-s5570-1.jpg

The Sony Xperia U:
    sony-xperia-u.jpg

And finally, my current phone, the Samsung ATIV S. My favourite smartphone by a long way, bought super cheap following a tip off here on Boards. It ranks #2 on my list of favourites.
    samsung-ativ-s-new.jpg

*sigh* I'm all nostalgic now. :o

Don't worry, some day you'll own a decent phone.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, some day you'll own a decent phone.

Bit harsh!
    The Nokia 6300 was a thing of beauty. One of the best built phones ive ever had the pleasure of using.
    Id have to agree on the 3200 though. Had one aswell as it was a complete cretin of a thing.

Advertisement