Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two interesting motions at the GUI AGM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ahh so you mean in one case it's last Jan 1 to last Dec 31 but the other it's last Jan 1 until "now", thereby giving more time play?
    For me calendar year is defined as 1 year, so whatever year is now, the period was entire previous year, Jan to Dec, irrespective of when in current year.

If that's not what you meant then.....argh! :-)

Yes, I think that's what I mean !

It's still relative to css, otherwise you are not cutting people against course, rather against everyone else.
    It's supposed to be how everyone played against course.
    Prizes are for how everyone played against each other

I think this probably sums it up.

shaneon77 wrote: »
    I respect your opinion but my point is that you are assuming everyone else played badly, that is not always the case, you can only score as well as you are able to on the day. The same applies to the best score on a perfect day. The player that plays the best, relative to their handicap, will score the best and by right should get a cut.
    Surely that's why css only applies when a set percentage of the field finishes their round?

I see what you're saying alright, but if conditions are such that a CSS isn't broken or maybe can't be calculated, there's no baseline to fairly assess a cut. You'd be cutting purely based on performance against a random sample of people who may or may not have played well (or badly). The standard is basically being set by everyone else. At least with CSS there's some element of standardisation, with the SSS on the card being the fixed point.

On a really bad day, even if CSS isn't broken, someone will win, no matter what, it doesn't follow they should be cut just for winning. At least I don't think it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Ahh so you mean in one case it's last Jan 1 to last Dec 31 but the other it's last Jan 1 until "now", thereby giving more time play?
    For me calendar year is defined as 1 year, so whatever year is now, the period was entire previous year, Jan to Dec, irrespective of when in current year.

If that's not what you meant then.....argh! :-)

How I was reading it was .......(bear with me cos I have been thinking how to explain what I have in my head:o)

When they say "1st jan in the previous calendar year" , I took it that they said that to clarify it was January last year as opposed to the previous January or January just passed. With the emphasis on the January part it could be seen as a definite starting date within an open ended period of time.

If that comes across jibberish I apologise! Just hard to explain how I saw it as it was worded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Russman wrote: »
    I agree with you that these type of players exist, but its very, very hard to do something effective and safe about it. I take the view that they're to be pitied more than anything.

I think its also so endemic in the Irish psyche to try and "cheat" a system(no offence), but just look at the winning teams in most of the high/mid handicap range interclub events. You'd need a Junior Cup level team to try to win the Pearce Purcell nowadays. Its a given that you need a team of rogues to get to the latter stages in a lot of events. Clubs don't want to cut their team players to a level that makes them non competitive. For some clubs, certain inter club events are what they live for and they actively "build" their teams over years. If that means they have to put up with Joe winning a few winter comps on a shortened course, they're mostly fine with it. Its not right, but it happens. Its a noble goal to try and fix it but I don't see it ever happening.

No need for the inverted commas around the word "cheat" and, yes, there is a need to take offence about it. As long as people only moan about it and nothing is done, then nothing will change. There is too much acceptance of this type of behaviour, by "wink, wink, nod, nod" in Ireland, IMO, - such that it's almost become part of our culture.

Each provincial branch of the GUI is supposed to undertake audits of how the handicapping system is being implemented in clubs. So, if cheating the handicapping system is as widespread in Ireland as posts on this forum and general conversations around clubs and societies would lead us to believe, why isn't the issue emerging more prominently at GUI level (e.g. in audit reports and at AGMs, etc.)?

If change is to happen, it has to start at the top, IMO. For example, the GUI could come down a lot more heavily on clubs that have been found through the spot check audits not be be implementing the handicapping system properly.

Wouldn't be popular, but it would work and would only take a couple of clubs being made examples of, before everyone started to fall into line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

denisoc16 wrote: »
    It will if fellas off a similar handicap don't hand in cards outside the buffer. They will only see downward changes whereas monty will see ups and downs so he will be swimming against the current.

If it is brought in then the only way it would be workable is if NRs are punished. Now I don't know what the sanctions should be but if a golfer goes out with the intention of entering a singles and for whatever reason doesn't return a card then it will have to be followed up more closely than before. I don't know what way it's worked in clubs at the moment but we only started using the equivalent of howdidido last year and there were a serious amount of NRs across each comp. And accross all handicap ranges too. I haven't heard of anyone facing questions over it.

There was one guy who used to sign in, swipe his card and sit in his car and go home. He was reported & dealt with. It seem to be easier deal with that because it's blatant.

ftr

the computer system can provide a list of names of people who entered and people who returned cards. We started operating this in Athlone 2 years ago and anyone repeatedly not returning cards first got a warning and then a suspension.

after the first suspension, it cut the sh!t out right away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

golfwallah wrote: »
    If change is to happen, it has to start at the top, IMO. For example, the GUI could come down a lot more heavily on clubs that have been found through the spot check audits not be be implementing the handicapping system properly.

And the GUI already runs the perfect system to bring dodgy clubs to the fore - the interclub competitions. Any club getting a team to the semifinals of a GUI (handicapped) competition is prime suspect and should be audited, revenue department style, by the GUI. I view any club getting that far suspect, probably guily. Any winning team - guilty for sure.

Rikand wrote: »
    ftr

the computer system can provide a list of names of people who entered and people who returned cards. We started operating this in Athlone 2 years ago and anyone repeatedly not returning cards first got a warning and then a suspension.

Under the proposed change though, would you be allowed to do this. NR's if catered for thus in the rules by no point one increase should be the beginning and end of it. Clubs should not be putting their own mods on the system. The Athlone system may have merit, but then it should be adopted by Congu - or if, not, then clubs shoulnt be allowed implemented off their own bat.

So, if cheating the handicapping system is as widespread in Ireland as posts on this forum and general conversations around clubs and societies would lead us to believe, why isn't the issue emerging more prominently at GUI level (e.g. in audit reports and at AGMs, etc.)?

Maybe, just maybe, its not as widespread as is made out ?
    People aren't going to go onto internet forums or chat to their mates about how the system is working brilliantly, it's only those with a gripe that will air their views. Empty vessels etc.......
    Maybe it is, I dunno.

The appetite isn't there at GUI level to go to the effort. Mostly I'd say because clubs have vested interests in the status quo. No club that hopes to win, say, the Purcell, is going to clamp down on their best 4 players in such a way as they might be ineligible.

I'm not suggesting the system is working brilliantly, but its not that bad either. No system will catch everyone. I don't doubt there are bandits out there, but I suspect there aren't as many as you hear people whining about. TBH its almost gotten to the stage where anyone who wins or happens to shoot a good score is labelled a bandit by someone who didn't (usually those who aren't able to play to their own handicaps). Its not a science, its a sport and sometimes you play well, even better than you have in the past.
    There's always going to be a time lag between your handicap catching up with your ability as you improve.

As you say its almost part of the culture, and not just golf, that's not going to change unfortunately. Someone told me a joke a while back about a low handicapper moving club and wanting to transfer handicap (the two clubs can be anywhere for the purpose of the joke, the one I heard was moving from a Dublin club to a country one), anyway the punchline is basically he tells the new club he's off 6 in his old club and the secretary promptly tells him "he can f--k off and play off 18 like everyone else up here" ! I'd say its closer to the truth than fiction.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    And the GUI already runs the perfect system to bring dodgy clubs to the fore - the interclub competitions. Any club getting a team to the semifinals of a GUI (handicapped) competition is prime suspect and should be audited, revenue department style, by the GUI. I view any club getting that far suspect, probably guily. Any winning team - guilty for sure.

Totally agree with you. But it wouldn't be that hard for people's handicap records to be perfectly realistic and the only spike in performance could be the interclub matches. In fact I'd say more often than not, that's the case.

Players are regularly told to "make sure you don't go below X handicap before the end of the year because I want you on the XXXXX team next year" - can't imagine how any audit could root that out.

Then again, would the GUI really be interested in a club in latter stages of their comps being exposed - bit of a PR disaster for them. And there's also the issue of proving something that you might strongly suspect. Last thing they want is for a Cups & Shields Final weekend to be overshadowed by a court case.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with you. But it wouldn't be that hard for people's handicap records to be perfectly realistic and the only spike in performance could be the interclub matches. In fact I'd say more often than not, that's the case.

Players are regularly told to "make sure you don't go below X handicap before the end of the year because I want you on the XXXXX team next year" - can't imagine how any audit could root that out.

Then again, would the GUI really be interested in a club in latter stages of their comps being exposed - bit of a PR disaster for them. And there's also the issue of proving something that you might strongly suspect. Last thing they want is for a Cups & Shields Final weekend to be overshadowed by a court case.

You are probably right.
    Your middle line quote is quite common, showing cheating team captains are probably as common as cheating players on their teams.

Is there any reason not to a) run the 'end of year review' algorithm more often, say quarterly, b) to make the suggested EOR adjustments mandatory rather than a flag for review ?

You are probably right.
    Your middle line quote is quite common, showing cheating team captains are probably as common as cheating players on their teams.

Is there any reason not to a) run the 'end of year review' algorithm more often, say quarterly, b) to make the suggested EOR adjustments mandatory rather than a flag for review ?

I guess you could do it quarterly, but, and I don't want to be all doom and gloom, its back to the human element of H/C Secs putting in the extra work.
    To stamp it out, you'd need most clubs on board. There's no point in one club taking an ethical stance for a season or two when all they're doing in reality is removing themselves from the Inter-Club reckoning.
    Ultimately it depends on players' honesty, and there will always be bad eggs.

I suppose another take on it, would be to ask if preparing your teams like that is really cheating ? Are all golfers expected to put in the same effort in a meaningless singles stableford as opposed to, say, a Medal ? In theory yes, of course, but I'm sure we've all had a bad start in a mundane Sunday comp and not been too pushed about recovering, but might try that much harder in the Captains Prize to get back on track. Is someone not trying too hard for the last 3 or 4 comps of the year really all that much of a stretch ?
    I'm only throwing it out there, not necessarily advocating it.

ftr

Under the proposed change though, would you be allowed to do this. NR's if catered for thus in the rules by no point one increase should be the beginning and end of it. Clubs should not be putting their own mods on the system. The Athlone system may have merit, but then it should be adopted by Congu - or if, not, then clubs shoulnt be allowed implemented off their own bat.

From Rikand's description, Athlone GC is merely implementing CONGU rules (Page 47, S. 24):
    24. SUSPENSION AND LOSS OF HANDICAP
    SUSPENSION AND LOSS OF HANDICAP
    24. The handicap of a player shall be suspended by a Union, Area Authority or a player’s Home Club if in its opinion he has:
    (a) constantly or blatantly failed to comply with the obligations and responsibilities imposed by the UHS, or
    (b) conducted himself in a manner prejudicial to the interests of his Union, Area Authority or Home Club or to the Game of Golf.
    The player must be notified of the period of suspension and of any other conditions imposed. A player’s handicap must not be suspended without first affording him the opportunity of appearing before the disciplinary Committee or other body
    http://www.gui.ie/handicap-manual/congu_2012_correct-pdf.aspx

If more club's familiarised themselves with the rules and then simply implemented them, there wouldn't be so much confusion and demand for yet more changes. There are plenty of rules - implementation is the problem - but then, that might kill off some talking points at the 19th!;)

I suppose another take on it, would be to ask if preparing your teams like that is really cheating ? Are all golfers expected to put in the same effort in a meaningless singles stableford as opposed to, say, a Medal ?

Thats the Lance Armstrong defence : if everyone is doing it then by definition it isnt cheating, whatever the rules say. So its only mugs who observe the system, rather than 'optimising' their handicaps to improve their chances of personal or club glory. Realise you arent advocating it Russ, but I guess it is the policy of a good cohort of golfers.

I guess you could do it quarterly, but, and I don't want to be all doom and gloom, its back to the human element of H/C Secs putting in the extra work.

Is it not just run a 'Report' on the handicap computer and pin it to the board ?

From Rikand's description, Athlone GC is merely implementing CONGU rules (Page 47, S. 24):

http://www.gui.ie/handicap-manual/congu_2012_correct-pdf.aspx

Not sure what you mean here, as the rules (at least as you've quoted) dont explicitly prescribe the control implemented in Athlone.

Thats the Lance Armstrong defence : if everyone is doing it then by definition it isnt cheating, whatever the rules say. So its only mugs who observe the system, rather than 'optimising' their handicaps to improve their chances of personal or club glory. Realise you arent advocating it Russ, but I guess it is the policy of a good cohort of golfers.

And cycling is still the same 10 years on ;)

I'm not advocating it as you say, but is it cheating, to go out and be a bit more casual about your golf and maybe not be too concerned about your score ? Maybe taking on shots you normally wouldn't, and to heck with the consequences ? I'm not so sure it is.
    We all try very hard in medals and majors, are we somehow cheating by not caring or trying as hard in run of the mill comps ? I realise I'm playing devils advocate to a point, but it's not always black and white and I'd suggest almost impossible to prove anything untoward is going on.

Or an even more extreme example, I'll take on shots/carries in stableford that I won't in strokes, am I cheating by not taking the cautious steady route that possibly I "should" take to optimise my score ? It's easy to stretch that out to a fella trying something or messing around in the last few singles comps if he doesn't really care (or secretly doesn't want to get cut !).

Is it not just run a 'Report' on the handicap computer and pin it to the board ?

I don't know to be honest, what does the report show that you'd put on the notice board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

People not returning cards affects standard scratch.

it was decided in Athlone that everyone must return their scorecard and so we used the tracking system on the computer to see who was and was not returning cards. People not returning cards on a consistent basis were warned about it.

i don't think any rules were broken on our part, as was quoted above, that rule seems to have covered our situation pretty well.

not sure what the new rules will mean for us, and I'm not on committee so i won't begin to speculate how this affects us :)

i shall now exit the thread, permanently..... Stage left!

Not sure what you mean here, as the rules (at least as you've quoted) dont explicitly prescribe the control implemented in Athlone.

Quite - the rules don't dictate the control being implemented but do empower it - read the rest of the rules, particularly under Responsibilities of the Affiliated Club, Handicap Committee and Player - just like the use of "may" (to give discretion) and "must" (an instruction).

• Advertisement

People not returning cards affects standard scratch.

it was decided in Athlone that everyone must return their scorecard and so we used the tracking system on the computer to see who was and was not returning cards. People not returning cards on a consistent basis were warned about it.

i don't think any rules were broken on our part, as was quoted above, that rule seems to have covered our situation pretty well.

not sure what the new rules will mean for us, and I'm not on committee so i won't begin to speculate how this affects us :)

i shall now exit the thread, permanently..... Stage left!

Responsibilities of the Handicap Committee:

Under Clause 7:
    (d) Unless some other body has been appointed by the Home Club for this purpose, exercise the power to suspend handicaps contained in Clause 24.

Responsibilities of the Player:
    8.8 Ensure that all competition cards in Qualifying Competitions, whether or not complete, are returned to the organising Committee, and make such computer entries as may be required – see Decisions,
    Dec.(m) and Dec.(n).
    Note 1: Players are reminded that failure to report all Qualifying Scores returned away from their Home Clubs (including ‘No Returns’ and Disqualified Scores – see Appendix P) as required by the UHS could lead to the suspension of offending players’ handicaps under the provisions of Clause 24
    24. The handicap of a player shall be suspended by a Union, Area Authority or a player’s Home Club if in its opinion he has:
    (a) constantly or blatantly failed to comply with the obligations and responsibilities imposed by the UHS

Handicap Committees are meant to read, understand the rules and then implement them.

Er, no!

The purpose of the computer based report is assist the committee in making its decisions and the report, together with proposed annual review handicap adjustments (up and down) also have to be forwarded to the relevant GUI provincial branch for approval before being implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

when will congu be voting on these motions?

Er, no!

The purpose of the computer based report is assist the committee in making its decisions and the report, together with proposed annual review handicap adjustments (up and down) also have to be forwarded to the relevant GUI provincial branch for approval before being implemented.

Well, make it so. That may be the existing system. I am suggesting changing it. Remove the committee and GUI parts (for all GUI do about it anyway I'd guess). The system identifies handicaps that are statistically outside the norms caught by the individually competition adjustments and corrects for them. Make it by up to two shots and just implement without further ado. Its not as if competition CSS adjustments are recomendations to the hc committee or have to go to the GUI. And run the update every 2 or 3 months.

Well, make it so. That may be the existing system. I am suggesting changing it. Remove the committee and GUI parts (for all GUI do about it anyway I'd guess). The system identifies handicaps that are statistically outside the norms caught by the individually competition adjustments and corrects for them. Make it by up to two shots and just implement without further ado. Its not as if competition CSS adjustments are recomendations to the hc committee or have to go to the GUI. And run the update every 2 or 3 months.

Can you give a hypothetical example of what one of these might be ? I'm asking as I haven't a clue what it means (genuinely).
    Do you mean some form of season long or quarterly CSS score or something ?

Right, Captain Jean Luc Picard, I'll press the magic button and just change it.

Oh, wait...... you don't seem to even understand the existing process / system, imperfect and all as they are, but are more than capable of summarising them and specifying changes. Well kind of, that is, if we could even begin to understand your specification let alone wait for your impact assessment on your proposed changes.

The processes and supporting system as they are are there for legacy reasons, including the accumulation of experience over time (e.g. of unfair handicapping adjustments, to name but one), the practicalities of systems change in the real world (as opposed to Star Trek, star date 2305), and the need for consensus among all golfing unions affiliated to CONGU.

Get real!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Quit the personal, childish remarks please.
    If you cant debate in an adult up way you will be put on the naughty step like a child.

No more warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭HB2002

I'm not advocating it as you say, but is it cheating, to go out and be a bit more casual about your golf and maybe not be too concerned about your score ? Maybe taking on shots you normally wouldn't, and to heck with the consequences ? I'm not so sure it is.
    We all try very hard in medals and majors, are we somehow cheating by not caring or trying as hard in run of the mill comps ? I realise I'm playing devils advocate to a point, but it's not always black and white and I'd suggest almost impossible to prove anything untoward is going on.

Or an even more extreme example, I'll take on shots/carries in stableford that I won't in strokes, am I cheating by not taking the cautious steady route that possibly I "should" take to optimise my score ? It's easy to stretch that out to a fella trying something or messing around in the last few singles comps if he doesn't really care (or secretly doesn't want to get cut !).

Course managment certainly isn't cheating... thats your call over every shot... if you lay up and I go for it that's not cheating.... deciding to fluff a hole or two on purpose to make sure you don't get cut... thats cheating.

Managing your handicap is cheating.
    Your handicap is supposed to fluctuate all by itself based on how you play during the year.... if you at any point decide to pull up or do something to make sure you don't get cut... there's no grey area.. it is black or white.. you are ( obviously this isn't directed at you! :)) cheating.

The levels to which some people go to not get cut vary but it is wide spread.....

I start off every comp with the same intention.... beat my handicap
    if things go the way of the pear early I set myself different goals
    but thats just me

People aren't going to go onto internet forums or chat to their mates about how the system is working brilliantly, it's only those with a gripe that will air their views. Empty vessels etc.......
    Maybe it is, I dunno.

--End Quote

Obviously it's only those with a gripe that will have a go and have their say on forums..... I don't expect some bloke who plays in team events all year collects heaps of prizes to come on here and defend himself... he'll just say nothing and go win himself another holiday!.

I don't know if you play mostly single events, scratch cups thats kind of thing or whether you play in team comps with your mates.... but the area that most of the cheaters focus on is team events because their artificailly high handicaps are not under threat....
    You might get lads who mind their handicap coming up to club majors or to still make the cut in a scratch cup but they are at least still playing singles events where they will be cut.

It's seriously naive to think that cheating is not wide spread....
    Maybe Cork where I'm based is a hot bed for it but I've seen so much of it first hand in the couple of clubs where I've been a member or have friends as members that I can only imagine it is the same across the board....

I'd love to do a straw poll of the people who contribute here on this forum to see who thinks cheating is wide spread and whether the person plays only singles events or team events.

Finally ( thank God I hear you say! )
    The GUI audits wont do anything to stop team cheating and it's team cheating that is most wide spread... forcing people to play 3 qualifying comps at home is a start but it's not enough.
    Something needs to be done to counter the cancer that it is.:mad:

HB2002 wrote: »
    Course managment certainly isn't cheating... thats your call over every shot... if you lay up and I go for it that's not cheating.... deciding to fluff a hole or two on purpose to make sure you don't get cut... thats cheating.

Managing your handicap is cheating.
    Your handicap is supposed to fluctuate all by itself based on how you play during the year.... if you at any point decide to pull up or do something to make sure you don't get cut... there's no grey area.. it is black or white.. you are ( obviously this isn't directed at you! :)) cheating.

The levels to which some people go to not get cut vary but it is wide spread.....

I start off every comp with the same intention.... beat my handicap
    if things go the way of the pear early I set myself different goals
    but thats just me

Maybe it is, I dunno.

--End Quote

Obviously it's only those with a gripe that will have a go and have their say on forums..... I don't expect some bloke who plays in team events all year collects heaps of prizes to come on here and defend himself... he'll just say nothing and go win himself another holiday!.

I don't know if you play mostly single events, scratch cups thats kind of thing or whether you play in team comps with your mates.... but the area that most of the cheaters focus on is team events because their artificailly high handicaps are not under threat....
    You might get lads who mind their handicap coming up to club majors or to still make the cut in a scratch cup but they are at least still playing singles events where they will be cut.

It's seriously naive to think that cheating is not wide spread....
    Maybe Cork where I'm based is a hot bed for it but I've seen so much of it first hand in the couple of clubs where I've been a member or have friends as members that I can only imagine it is the same across the board....

I'd love to do a straw poll of the people who contribute here on this forum to see who thinks cheating is wide spread and whether the person plays only singles events or team events.

Finally ( thank God I hear you say! )
    The GUI audits wont do anything to stop team cheating and it's team cheating that is most wide spread... forcing people to play 3 qualifying comps at home is a start but it's not enough.
    Something needs to be done to counter the cancer that it is.:mad:

Good post.
    I'd agree 99% with your sentiment. Ok, fair enough, team events are seriously dodgy areas, but to expect otherwise might be a bridge too far. I play in one team event per year, a two day annual fund raiser but that's it. I never expect to win it, although I always feel over two days there's a chance. We have a team event every bank holiday and up to last year when they left the club, I could have written down 3 of the 4 names of a prize winning team in advance of the comp most times. Something should have been done about them but for some reason it never was.

Best way to combat team events is smaller prizes. Any event that has a holiday or 500" TV as a prize is asking for trouble. That's probably a poorer reflection of us as a society than a statement on golfers !

The whole area of handicap management is pretty much impossible to police though. I mean ultimately it comes down to a player's state of mind. The UHS states that its based on the premise that a player tries his best (or words to that effect), but how can I or anyone say whether someone is or isn't, with any accuracy ? The best players in the world hit poor shots at the wrong moments and they're hardly "pulling". Yet, some people would have you believe that if a 16 handicapper double bogeys the 18th, he's up to no good - its farcical IMO. Of course there are bad eggs out there, but the clever ones will have their pulling done well before the 18th. Same reason the ESR doesn't hit its intended target, any genuine bandit will make sure not to break CSS by 4. It only hits players on a hot streak or juniors on their way down, when chances are the system would caught them anyway a week or two later.

I had it myself last year, cruising along 2 under par after 16, silly missed par putt on 17th but no drama, pulled drive into trees on 18th, got in to play it, the ball moved, penalty shot, hack out, long iron just short, average chip and missed putt giving me a triple - I was trying my best to do a decent score as I hadn't broken par in about 3 years, yet it looks terrible on the card. I even had to listen to some slagging about pulling to make sure I didn't get cut too much !! Nothing could have been further from the truth.

The 1% I might disagree with is, we'll say its the last comp of the year, a meaningless singles off the forward tees, you've had a good season and got cut to 8.5, so as it stands you still qualify for the Metro next year. You really want to play Metro, but its a nice sunny day and you want to have a game rather than drive back home. Now, without intentionally playing bad, I'm not so sure someone who doesn't try as hard as they maybe could is cheating. Or even if they are, how could it possibly be proven, if they turn in 33pts and are in the buffer ?
    Its just such a grey area that I think we'd all be wasting our time worrying about it and trying to police it.

The current line of thinking with the GUI seems to be that almost everyone is a bandit, maybe I'm out of touch and everyone is, in fact, a bandit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't think they think everyone is a bandit, however I would say that the vast majority have higher handicaps than they should.

I don't care that it allows lower guys be artificially low, that's their own problem. For the events they enter they should have a requirement have shot x in last 6 months something.

Everyone else needs to be protected from themselves, for me your handicap shouldn't rocket just because are In a bad patch. That just means you don't and imo shouldn't win anything, by definition you are playing worse than normal, a handicap isn't there to boost you up then.

Advertisement