Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcullen

Options
  • 17-02-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

My wife and I are thinking about buying a house in Kilcullen. We both work in Dublin, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on what Kilcullen is like to live in and commute from? There's some houses for sale in Castlemartin Lodge, is this a decent estate?

We've been in kilcullen a few times and ate in Fallons, just hoping someone could give a bit more info on what the town and in particular Castlemartin are like to live in and how long generally would a commute to Dublin city centre take? Currently I commute from Sallins and it takes around 50 minutes, given that Kilcullen is roughly 20 minutes drive, I presume my commute would be around 1 hour 10 mins?

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I locked me keys in my car on the main street one morning. Had loads of people help me out. They procured a shovel and a coat hanger and got the door open with no damage.
    Great folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hoggy_vegas

Cheers, there's plenty places around where lads can break into cars with coat hangers, but this time it was with good intentions! That's a good start, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you live on the Athy side of town your only 5 mins drive from the M9. It wouldn't add 20 mins to your drive. I'd say 10 mins or less would bring you to the ball in Naas where you get on now. Kilcullen is a nice town but not good for big shops. There is no Dunnes,Tesco,Lidl or Aldi so it would be Naas or Newbridge for big shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

You have a few choices when you come out of castlemartin depending on the time. Turn right into the town and go down to the M9 or turn left and continue to the curragh to the M7. You can also go a back way to the M9, turn left out of the estate and take the first left. At the end of that road turn left again and follow the road until the Kilcullen/athy road. Take a left and the M9 is a few hundred metres.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I looked at Kilcullen many years ago as I went to college in Carlow and worked in Dublin . The houses were gorgeous but the lack of facilities are what stopped me in the end.
    If traffic is bad it can take a long time to get to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

The people are very friendly in Kilcullen and it has a nice sense of community. Some nice pubs and places to eat! Nolan's butcher is the business ha ha It isn't too far from Naas or Newbridge either.

Thanks everyone. Nice pubs & butcher? Sold!! I guess the best option for commuting would be driving to newbridge or sallins and getting the train to heuston or driving to the red cow and getting the Luas in along so. The lack of shops wouldn't bother me too much really as newbridge and Naas are relatively closeby.

Just one last thing, does anyone know much about Sunnyhill and/or Newberry in Castlemartin? Is Castlemartin a decent estate to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Might be a better bet to go to Kildare town and get the train from there. Very little traffic compared to Newbridge or Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

guil wrote: »
    Might be a better bet to go to Kildare town and get the train from there. Very little traffic compared to Newbridge or Sallins.

Commute to Stephens Green from Kilcullen (near Castlemartin) took me 60 mins this morning, was 50 mins some days last week but that's leaving at 6:50am. In terms of facilities you'd do well to find better sports facilities than down at the community centre. Eurospar is handy but Lidl, Dunnes and Tesco are 4 miles away (less than 10 minutes). It's a small town with nice takeaways and pubs, with good schools......then again I remember Castlemartin Lodge when it was Vinnie Nolan's field......

• Registered Users Posts: 28 speak2julie

OK. I was born in Kilcullen, grew up in Newbridge and returned to Kilcullen to live in 2002 until 2010. The people are very friendly, Nolan's butchers is an institution, the pubs are ok but definitely Bardons is your best option for good atmosphere, music and a chat. Fallon's Restaurant is lovely with a great function room too. The Chinese restaurants are excellent as is The Fountain Takeaway chipper. The supermarket is handy but Lidl/Aldi/Tesco/Dunnes etc are a stone's throw away to Newbridge, Naas or Kildare across the plains via Sunnyhill.

Kilcullen has a great theatre with Am Dram and other performances on a regular basis. There's the canoe club, boxing club, bowling club, badminton club, soccer, gaa, sports hall, scouts den and pitch & putt club.

The town link bus operates to Newbridge daily but if you've your car, I'd head out M9 to Saggart and get the Luas to city for work. The M7 is about to be widened to create better traffic flow around Naas with Kerry Group building going in so win win I'd say.

In my opinion Castlemartin Lodge is a nice estate but also check the Eir Grid website for potential pylon locations which are to be confirmed in the future for the Kilcullen area. The current power station is very close by. There are single houses for sale just outside the town which seem reasonable enough value right now. Finally, the primary school is right beside you at Castlemartin and the secondary school is on the crossroads. However, there is a gorgeous primary school just outside the town on the Carlow Road called Halverstown NS and it's great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Used to travel from Kilcullen to ballsbridge for work. Took about hour and half to two hours. Depending on day and schools.
    There is a nice playground at the school beside castlemartin. Great place for walks. Just check you're ok with parking with cars as can be fun sometimes if the estate behind castlemartin is anything to go by.
    Finally, fibre broadband is coming their in April

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Fine town, don't forget the Gaelscoil/ Educate Together nearby too. Commute by motorbike and take 40 mins?
    I also commute by bicycle about 1 day a week, takes about 90 mins.
    The Curragh is a priceless resource.
    That estate is fine....where are you coming from? You need to answer that yourself.

We're living in Sallins at the moment, Kilcullen is ticking the majority of the boxes for us, the feedback here alone is very positive. It's just a matter of finding the right place at this stage. Any of ye fancy selling up?!

We're living in Sallins at the moment, Kilcullen is ticking the majority of the boxes for us, the feedback here alone is very positive. It's just a matter of finding the right place at this stage. Any of ye fancy selling up?!

My mum is selling:
    http://cmeauctioneers.ie/index.cfm?fuseaction=propdetails&Prop_RefId=2386&par=36&slf=43

Was there really any need to go and call my bluff like that? :)

Looks nice, we'll take a look. thanks

Was there really any need to go and call my bluff like that? :)

Looks nice, we'll take a look. thanks

Couldn't resist when you asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

That's handy, cheers

Sorry to bother you all again! There's a house for sale in Hermitage Park, anyone familiar with that estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Living in an estate close to that one but haven't heard anything about it (which I guess is a good thing!!). Just to mention the farm/nature trail behind An Tearmann which has great walks beside the river. Although it's closed at the moment due to high water after the storms. Hopefully it'll open again soon. Also the river festival each year. Commute should improve eventually with Newlands Cross works if you're driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sorry to bother you all again! There's a house for sale in Hermitage Park, anyone familiar with that estate?

I live there.

Nice estate, a lot of young families. 5 min walk into the town. Is it a terrace or a semi detached you're looking at?

We love Kilcullen and have often said if we won the lottery, we'd move into a bigger house but would stay close to Kilcullen. It very quickly became our hometown.

Cheers. The one in Hermitage Park is semi detached, looks nice, viewing another one this weekend too, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daisy12345

OK. I was born in Kilcullen, grew up in Newbridge and returned to Kilcullen to live in 2002 until 2010. The people are very friendly, Nolan's butchers is an institution, the pubs are ok but definitely Bardons is your best option for good atmosphere, music and a chat. Fallon's Restaurant is lovely with a great function room too. The Chinese restaurants are excellent as is The Fountain Takeaway chipper. The supermarket is handy but Lidl/Aldi/Tesco/Dunnes etc are a stone's throw away to Newbridge, Naas or Kildare across the plains via Sunnyhill.

Kilcullen has a great theatre with Am Dram and other performances on a regular basis. There's the canoe club, boxing club, bowling club, badminton club, soccer, gaa, sports hall, scouts den and pitch & putt club.

The town link bus operates to Newbridge daily but if you've your car, I'd head out M9 to Saggart and get the Luas to city for work. The M7 is about to be widened to create better traffic flow around Naas with Kerry Group building going in so win win I'd say.

In my opinion Castlemartin Lodge is a nice estate but also check the Eir Grid website for potential pylon locations which are to be confirmed in the future for the Kilcullen area. The current power station is very close by. There are single houses for sale just outside the town which seem reasonable enough value right now. Finally, the primary school is right beside you at Castlemartin and the secondary school is on the crossroads. However, there is a gorgeous primary school just outside the town on the Carlow Road called Halverstown NS and it's great too.

Thanks for eir grid tip looking at buying in kilcullen seems like a lovely place

Daisy12345 wrote: »
    Thanks for eir grid tip looking at buying in kilcullen seems like a lovely place

No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for. It's a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

great town, great gaa,soccer, park, schools, etc etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

Hermitage Park is full of settled travellers and small farmers who lost their farms and a new cross breed of travellers and farmers, the perfect mix of scum and redneck, that commonly have addictions to the heroin the army brings through The Curragh barracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

jane82 wrote: »
    I locked me keys in my car on the main street one morning. Had loads of people help me out. They procured a shovel and a coat hanger and got the door open with no damage.
    Great folk.

Good job you didn't them it was actually your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Resurrecting this thread. Looking to find someone living in the Market Square apartments. Want to know what they're like. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

They are nice, and fairly quite, Kilcullen in general is great, although quite a few new houses coming soon across the town, but still there lots of room, a lifetime away from being like Naas or Newbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

They are nice, and fairly quite, Kilcullen in general is great, although quite a few new houses coming soon across the town, but still there lots of room, a lifetime away from being like Naas or Newbridge.

That's great, thanks for the reply. Yes I really like the feel of the town. Do you know what broadband is available in those apartments? I've been on to eir and they can't tell me for definite. When you put the eircode into the Virgin Media website they says they don't service it. Same with vodafone.
    I'm worried that I'd be stuck with mobile broadband or I know of some apartments that only one company was allowed put their cables through. I know it's a long shot, you may not know and really appreciate the reply and any info you have.

Advertisement