Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coop with wire floor

Options
  • 15-02-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Is it possible to make a duck/chicken coop with a wire mesh floor so when the animals poo, it will go through the mesh and into the ground rather than a ply wood floor that will ruin it and require lots of cleaning.
    Would it be comfortable for them and is it in general possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Could be corrected but I don't think mesh is good for hens feet? Perhaps a wire section below perches might work, but as an entire floor I don't believe it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Why would you want a mesh floor. Just put no floor and the poop will land on whatever you intended it to fall through the mesh onto.
    Perhaps as Con suggested mesh under the perch will allow most of the poop fall out of the coop..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

Why would you want a mesh floor. Just put no floor and the poop will land on whatever you intended it to fall through the mesh onto.
    Perhaps as Con suggested mesh under the perch will allow most of the poop fall out of the coop..
    I heard it's benifical for the ground whenever the animals excrete and It saves the job of cleaning up the coops every few weeks and buying sawdust which I actually find easier to clean out than hay but still would be handier haveing zero to none to clean, I'll see if I can find schematics for coops with mesh floor

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

mick145 wrote: »
    Is it possible to make a duck/chicken coop with a wire mesh floor so when the animals poo, it will go through the mesh and into the ground rather than a ply wood floor that will ruin it and require lots of cleaning.
    Would it be comfortable for them and is it in general possible?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057101156

Asked the same question a while ago.
    I put in a weldmesh floor 3 weeks ago for the same reason, no cleaning out, cleaner eggs, & chickens have mo problem walking on it.
    You can't have no floor as mink or fox could get under, it also can't be chicken as this will be no problem for them to get through.

pm with email address if you want pics or more info
    A

Advertisement