Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble remembering an old chocolate bar...

Options
  • 14-02-2014 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I remember when I was younger, maybe 4 - 7 (early - mid 90's) I used to go to the local shop and get penny sweets. There was a specific bar I can just vaguely remember. It was in a papery wrapper and had a sort of marshmallow filling, covered in chocolate, and that was it. It is extremely hard to pinpoint what it was like, maybe marshmallow isn't right, but like marshmallow, only chewier? Very vague, I know but it's driving me mad. I know for a fact they don't sell them anymore or I would recognise it instantly, and when they were for sale, they cost like 10p. I have searched, looking at pictures of old sweets sold in Irish shops, but can't find anything. I don't think this was a big brand name or anything, so it might be quite obscure! If anyone has any idea, I would be eternally grateful!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Nougat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

macaroons

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah sounds like the Macaroon bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

What colour was the packaging ?

Was it flat or rounded ?

What shape was it ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Could be a Milky Way, but sure they're still available aren't they? They used to be wrapped in paper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The only bars I can remember wrapped in paper were those listed, macaroon bars from Caffreys, also a mint chip version I seem to recall. Was it like nougat like in Snickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Ninjavampire

Definitely not Macaroon bars or milky ways, you can still get those and these yokes tasted completely different.

These things were pretty plain, just simply a piece of chocolate about 4 inches long, an inch wide and half an inch thick. The top was kind of ridged from the shape of the filling, so the layer of chocolate was pretty thin. The inside was odd, I'm going to say somewhere in between a marshmallow, foam and nougat? I can't remember what colour the wrapper was but have a vague memory of them being purple/blue? That might be completely off the ball though. I haven't seen them in years but often faintly remember getting them as a child so I'm fairly confident they aren't available anymore.

Sorry for being so crap at describing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Somewhere in between marshmallow, foam and nougat....it almost sounds like a strange shaped turkish delight :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Turkish delight isn't even remotely like any of those! I dunno what you've been eating, but it ain't turkish delight! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

there was a caffreys klipso in paper, along side the macaroon and mint crisp..and time something but I think that was hard toffee

Big Time, it was toffee covered in chocolate.

Big%20Time%20Bar%20Planet%20Candy-380x320.jpg

Link to Klipso bar.

http://www.planetcandy.ie/klipso-bar-30g?filter_name=klipso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

was it 54321's

54321%20Chocolate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

there was a caffreys klipso in paper, along side the macaroon and mint crisp..and time something but I think that was hard toffee
    You're probably thinking of the Big Time bar, which was in a yellow plastic wrapper and was toffee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I remember them too, OP. The 'chocolate' covering was thin, to say the least?

yeh pretty much a piece of toffeee painted with chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roose

Touchdown?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

rovoagho wrote: »
    Turkish delight isn't even remotely like any of those! I dunno what you've been eating, but it ain't turkish delight! :)
    Put them all in a blender and see the result!

....actually now I wanna try that....

god they were horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I remember them too, OP. The 'chocolate' covering was thin, to say the least?

I think I may have found them or at least something similar. Now again, my memory is really fuzzy, but does anyone remember the bars by a company called 'LOVE'? I think that could be it, but if anyone could remember them better that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Unfortunately I know exactly the bars you are talking about but also cannot remember their name. The chocolate covered dolphins above are similar construction, very thinly coated mallow.

Yeah, they are similar to the dolphins but the dolphins aren't nice. The inside was much different that standard marshmallow.

I think I may have found them or at least something similar. Now again, my memory is really fuzzy, but does anyone remember the bars by a company called 'LOVE'? I think that could be it, but if anyone could remember them better that would be great!

Think you are onto something, remember the chocolate was disgusting though. Love or Loves brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Was it a Texan bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I vaguely remember it. I was going to say Peggy's Leg bar but I think it Triangla has it with the Texan bar.

dont remember it myself Texan Bar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Triangla wrote: »
    Was it a Texan bar?

That's what I am remembering, alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think it's a different one that the OP is looking for.
    It's wrecking my head now too :(
    As far as I remember it was in a blue wrapper. You could actually bend it and all the paper thin chocolate would crack revealing the white underneath, sort of like those marshmallow Easter eggs.

• Advertisement

I think it's a different one that the OP is looking for.
    It's wrecking my head now too :(
    As far as I remember it was in a blue wrapper. You could actually bend it and all the paper thin chocolate would crack revealing the white underneath, sort of like those marshmallow Easter eggs.

That's exactly the one man. I have been searching and I think the brand may have been 'Lovells' but I can't find much on them online. They had a bar which was called 'Milky Lunch' and it looks familiar but not the exact one I'm thinking of. I think this is the company though!

Advertisement