Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyewhatch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

2 years ago I would have purchased one of these in a heartbeat but now not a chance. The thought of spending 350 euro on a "watch" that will have little use unless it's connected to an iPhone seems nuts to me. I would prefer to take the spending power to watchrecon and just choose something nice and mechanical that will go with whatever phone I own.

I have owned all the iPhone models up until the release of the 5S model and have become kinda bored with the restrictions and the storage limits that Apple puts on its products. I have a couple of weeks left on my current contract and then it's off too Android for me, chances are some company will release a cheapie device that will connect with Android for a fraction of the price Apple are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

HDMI wrote: »
    2 years ago I would have purchased one of these in a heartbeat but now not a chance. The thought of spending 350 euro on a "watch" that will have little use unless it's connected to an iPhone seems nuts to me. I would prefer to take the spending power to watchrecon and just choose something nice and mechanical that will go with whatever phone I own.

I have owned all the iPhone models up until the release of the 5S model and have become kinda bored with the restrictions and the storage limits that Apple puts on its products. I have a couple of weeks left on my current contract and then it's off too Android for me, chances are some company will release a cheapie device that will connect with Android for a fraction of the price Apple are charging.

Well, they have... "Pebble". Pebble pebble pebble... :) I seem to find myself saying it a lot in this thread. Doesn't have anything like the functionality or quality of the Apple Watch though. And having been on Android myself, specifically a Nexus, the security and lack of privacy compared to an iOS device is kind of shocking. They certainly make you pay for their devices appearing cheaper.

Anyhow, too, Cook has confirmed the Apple Watch isn't completely tethered to the phone, there's stuff on the net now about how you can go for a run without your phone, listen to music on the watch (presumably so it has its own storage?) and then pay for things, again just using the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

art wrote: »
    I can run mine disabled from the phone entirely. It will also buzz me if it loses connection to the phone so I can then turn off the connection if needed. Annoyingly where I work, if I leave the phone on the desk, the toilet is at the exact cusp of the connection range so my wrist buzzes to tell me it's lost, no wait I have it, no lost it, wait have... and so on - basically I make buzzing noises when I pee!

How long did it take you to find your favourite cubicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tag Heuer want to get in on the act. I wonder will we see watches with smart features, rather than the opposite, after all...

Interview here with Jean-Claude Biver about the Apple Watch; the interviewer is Ariel Adams of aBlogtoWatch.com.

His major gripe seems to be that it is not stand-alone to the iPhone, which I think is fair comment.

He also says that the Swiss watch industry will have their own smart watch angle, but then follows that up with saying that the Swiss watch industry is not about products that will be obsolete in a short time. It will be interesting to see how these 2 things will be reconciled.

• Advertisement

So I was at websummit today, and the MD of Kairos watches (the mechanical/smart watch hybrid) was there.

He had a proof of concept "smart strap" (not sure if that's what he actually called it) - a curved/flexible screen mounted on a leather band that could then be put on your own watch.

And he also had the smart watch itself - only he didn't really. The back of the watch was mounted to a big circuit board, and the smart screen was still not in the watch, it was just over it so you could get a rough idea of how it will work. It looks a long way from production ready, so I have a feeling that whoever pre-ordered one might be in for a bit of a wait yet. You'd probably get your Virgin Galactic flight first.

Then I happened across a Chinese brand called Omate who also had their own smart watch on display, compatible with iOS and Android. Basic enough functionality, big rectangular face - not particularly memorable. Forget about maps, health stats and all that - this was just messages and some notifications.

But the guy said it had a 5 day battery life and an RRP starting at EUR99. I presume the market will be flooded with similar watches now that Apple have made it more mainstream with their recent announcement, and you always run the risk of never seeing a firmware update when it's from an unknown Chinese company, but it was interesting to finally see one in real life. Photos online don't actually do it justice, it didn't look terrible.

Now this, to me, gets it spot on:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/nevo-analog-smartwatch-minimalist-looks-activity-tracking-notifications/

A separate battery for watch and notifications: the former a longlife battery of five years, the latter a user replaceable, standard battery (available for less than a fiver), lasting six months. So works telling the time no matter what and looks nice clean and to the point too!

Hmm, I love the concept - having the 2 batteries is a great idea. But that article is light on how notifications work.

If it's really mostly an activity tracker, that's the least likely looking watch to be worn in the gym or on a run (I'd imagine - I don't care for that running around malarky). I don't know if it does enough over an activity band.

But that said, it's a very clever idea and could be a good blueprint for other designs. It does look like it bridges the gap for the people who don't want to wear something that's a gadget first and a watch second.

While I'm here - the watch I mentioned in my previous post seems to be getting pretty poor reviews from the early adopters, and what's more worrying, if not surprising, is the customer service has been poor to non-existent.

Being the impulsive sort, I received a Pebble Steel smart-watch over the weekend (second-hand). I've been asked to look at apps for smart-watches at work, and this watch has an API that I can use - but it was mostly personal curiosity, if I'm honest.

It's still charging so I have not worn it yet, but thought I'd post some of my initial thoughts while they're fresh in my mind.

Starting with the strap - it came with a choice of a leather strap and a stainless steel bracelet. The latter looks OK, but doesn't feel nice to handle at all. The lugs have a centre piece, which will narrow the choices for a non-OEM strap a little. The leather feels fine though, so I am happy to stick with that.

The watch looks smaller than I expected, which is a good thing. I think it's because it's rectangular rather than square. However, it has a massive bezel, particularly at the bottom, which does not lend itself well to a modern look. Perhaps the watch would have been too tall had they put all the components directly under the screen. There are a few sharp edges to the case here and there which don't feel great. Some smoothing of the button edges would make it feel more premium I think. I've a preference for larger watches anyway, but other than the large-ish lug-to-lug measurement, it really doesn't feel too oversized at all.

Speaking of the screen - if you remember the original WAP phones, then you'll know how dated the display looks. Maybe a Kindle (or indeed Seiko) eInk display would have driven costs up, but I think it may have been worth it. It's not impressive at all when trying to render anything other than quite simple graphics. You can see some photos here. This is obviously how they can boast a week's battery life (apparently ~4 in reality), but it's still a big negative IMO.

Set-up was pretty easy - it's mostly done through an app for your phone, which is intuitive and didn't require too much swearing. I was able to see my SMS, emails and take/reject a call in a few minutes. The navigation on the watch itself is also intuitive, though 4 buttons feels like quite a lot. You've "up", "select" and "down" on the left, and "back" on the right hand side.

There are a few watch faces to choose from and it's easy to download and install new ones. There are some analogue looking ones, but unsurprisingly, the digital ones look better on a digital screen with such poor resolution.

For some reason, you're limited to 8 apps, which include watch faces. Maybe this is simpler than having to work out how many MB is available on the watch, but it seems a little arbitrary. They seem to have a pretty decent app ecosystem already, but I don't think it will take long for Apple to dwarf them once they release their watch.
    ----
    TL;DR
    So, overall I'm not blown away, but didn't really expect to be. I think they've done a decent job, and the design isn't too bad considering that they didn't try to make an analogue-a-like. I don't think I'd be too self-conscious wearing it around, and I'm going to keep an open mind as to whether it's actually useful or not. Whatever about the technology in general, I 've a feeling that that the blocky display on this particular watch would turn off a lot of people. I think you have to have a killer use case to get away with that, and I think the whole industry is still searching for what that is.

Edit: quick update now it's on the wrist for an hour.

It's very light and comfortable. The shape (despite the small screen with big bezel) looks quite well, if you're into the Tag Monaco type shape. It really doesn't feel like a computer on the wrist. The time is pretty legible with a digital watch face selected, will be interesting to see what it's like in a darker environment.

The phone actually sends all notifications to it, not just call, SMS and email. For iPhone users - it's basically any notification that you allow to display on your locked screen. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. For instance, if you really want to know when an email arrives, you probably don't want it buzzing when a twitter alert comes through. So I think that means you'd have to disable the twitter alert on your phone too - which is probably where you'd want to see it.

• Advertisement

A shake of the wrist and the back light comes on ... so it's easy to read in the dark! :)

Have to say I didn't react in the same way at all to the screen, I knew they had an eInk type display though and never really expected, or wanted to be honest, an analogue simulacrum watch face. I mostly use one of the digital displays that has time on top half, weather and battery level etc on the other.

Although the display is basic, I think it is very functional and much prefer that route myself and the seven days battery (been around seven for me anyhow) than the other extreme of the first Samsung and its bright colours but typical six hours life!! And of course the cost is quite low for a smart watch. The big killer for me though, and the "smart" watch concept really, is not knowing if it is in fact charged enough to have enough power for the entire day; that's been the big put off (ironically, if it had less of an expected battery life, and therefore I had to be more attentive to charging, perhaps that might not be a concern?).

The incentive to wear it has been getting notifications (as a football fan, getting the score during meetings, say, has been fairly cool) and more discreet phone call/email prompts (ie rather than having my phone vibrate, having your wrist vibrate is less noticeable to others), plus getting them when I'm not right beside the phone.

For apps - I've tried the step apps and not found them that reliable so binned them. There's a GPS map app that is again very basic but functional enough for fairly specific situations (ie a quick check of direction when you're somewhere where you don't trust whipping out a smart phone). Stop watch type things are obviously of use; you can have a compass there; overall, I am struggling to remember particularly useful apps I've come across ...

To end on a positive though it's properly waterproof which is good. And, as you say, it's very well supported with a good community behind it.

Hi art, you make good points. Personally I am not too worried about the display myself, but I think it will be an issue for a lot of potential buyers given what else is, or will be, out there in the market. The Omate watch I mentioned earlier boasts the best part of a week's battery life, but has a proper LCD screen (dodgy feedback from early adopters aside).

I can't even conceive of wearing a watch where I'm not sure it will last the day without shutting down, so I can definitely see the upsides to the more basic and less power hungry display. I completely agree with making something functional before worrying about form - but that's a problem when the market is unsure of what functional actually means, given that this is such a new area.

Anyway, despite my cynicism, I was surprised to find that glancing at my watch during a meeting to check an email coming through was actually a natural enough reaction and non-obtrusive. It feels good on the wrist and while it may look a bit fashion-watchy or gimmicky, it's still fairly subtle.

This would never replace a mechanical watch for me, but I can definitely see how it would appeal to people my age who aren't pushed about wearing a watch or aren't particularly attached to the one they have, or would tend towards something like a Tissot sporty digital watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

Imagine a man who grew up in the middle class, went do a decent school, got an okay job, lives in a nice apartment in some metropolitan town, maybe drives a German car and occasionally splurges on something nice for himself. Do you see him wearing the Apple Watch? I don't. I do see him buying the Apple Watch, but it will need to go further than that. Take me, for example, I am sitting here on a gorgeous 27-inch iMac, wearing an ultra-thin perpetual calendar in white gold, and in fact, to my left is an Ikepod Hourglass (designed by Marc Newson) that I wanted from the minute I laid eyes on it. I saved up and bought it because it's a perfect object, and even those people who don't care about time, or design, agree that it's beautiful. The average well-to-do person buys an iPhone 6 because it's the absolute best offering in the category in both form and function. I'm not sure the same can be said about the Apple Watch because things like my Patek Philippe 3940G exist, and they always will.

Is it just me or did anyone else gag reading that?

In case you're wondering the hourglass he refers to costs about $25k

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

TomCo wrote: »
    Is it just me or did anyone else gag reading that?

In case you're wondering the hourglass he refers to costs about $25k

He obviously doesn't have kids.

Q: Why do people buy anything other that PP watches if they are obviously the best ;)

Eoin wrote: »
    Personally I am not too worried about the display myself, but I think it will be an issue for a lot of potential buyers given what else is, or will be, out there in the market.
    Hi Eoin, yeah, you are right, there's no way it will catch the eye when placed against something like the Apple Watch or similar specced devices. It will probably become even more niche throughout next year and be left in the hands of people who enjoy the low tech styling and "to the metal" coding. Anyhow, the thread inspired me to charge up mine and wear it today! :)

2moqigw.jpg

So, a few weeks on and I'm moving the watch on.

While it was quite handy to subtly see notifications in meetings etc, it definitely wasn't a game changer (for me) - and when I stopped wearing it, I didn't miss getting the notifications.

But most of us are just not the target market for these devices, so I think we're probably harsher and more sceptical of the technology than most people. I think there's a lot of people buying digital watches because of the gadget factor that these will appeal to, and people who don't currently wear a watch who may now have a reason too.

But for the time being, to do my best Dragons' den impression, Ah'm oot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Any news yet on the release date of the Apple watch? My limited googling skills could only come up with early 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

rwbug wrote: »
    Any news yet on the release date of the Apple watch? My limited googling skills could only come up with early 2015.

Latest I read was March 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

rwbug wrote: »

.........and now its a firm April - without a specific date mind

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/28/apple-financial-results-watch-iphone-china?CMP=fb_gu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apparently the apple pricing has been released, well escaped onto the more seedy end of the web... If they're finalised prices I'm somewhat surprised that basically all but the solid gold blingy blingy are under a 1000 dollars, average around 5-600(though my maths abilities are not deserving of the description). The gold ones are running at 7000 dollars. Yep. I had thought that they'd go from entry level through the 1000 barrier with a few of the models(which would hit the TAG/Longines style market). It seems they're after the "fashion" brand expensive end and heavliy promoting to the ladies. It's a "must have" in Vogue, Cosmo et al. They may yet build a niche in a new non watch nerd market as they did with the iPod. Can't see them selling the millions of units they reckon mind you. Plus even if you bought the first iPod, you can still listen to music on it, these watches are going to rapidly obsolete themselves I imagine.

I look at the very early quartz watches and they were crazy expensive when they first hit shops and you needed deep pockets to buy one. Plus because of size constraints on the tech they were edging into the unfashionably large for the time(grand now). Because of that many remained on shelves unsold, or later sold off at big losses. Hence quite the number around today are near new old stock. I can see the early adopters and fashion victim types buying into the Apple watch, but I'll be surprised that when the roll out smoke has cleared that they'll sell nearly enough of the first version to make it worth their while.

I still reckon what they should do in places like the US is attach them to phone contracts, so the up front pricing is low enough to go under the radar.

This is in dollars mind you and it may not be legit so until they're finally offficially released it's conjecture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm more interested in Huawei's new offering. If they could make the screen look less like.... well a screen, then they're getting pretty close to something I could wear, but the apple one is not going to be worn by anyone who likes watches, but perhaps plenty of people who like being seen wearing brands.

Zagato wrote: »
    I'm more interested in Huawei's new offering. If they could make the screen look less like.... well a screen, then they're getting pretty close to something I could wear

I just can't see how they'll be able to make it look like anything other than a faux-analogue watch, without doing something radical like the mythical Kairos smart watch.

Perhaps the colour eInk idea from Pebble might be an idea (e.g. the difference between reading a book on a Kindle and on a tablet), but I've my doubts. And as I said in another thread; Pebble's approach seems to be to embrace that they're digital watches on steroids; rather than a fake "real" watch.
    but the apple one is not going to be worn by anyone who likes watches, but perhaps plenty of people who like being seen wearing brands.

I think you can extend the first part of your comment to pretty much most the smart watches at the moment apart from the ones trying to produce a genuine analogue watch with a few little smart features hidden below the surface. That's nothing new though - the whole concept is alien to those of us who like real watches.

Who will they appeal to? As I've said before, I think it's people who think that watches are pointless, but more functionality might make them more appealing to use. Apple's customers are often slightly more intelligent than just blindly buying a brand name. I think they're more likely to get the UX right for the mainstream audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I'm more interested in Huawei's new offering. If they could make the screen look less like.... well a screen, then they're getting pretty close to something I could wear, but the apple one is not going to be worn by anyone who likes watches, but perhaps plenty of people who like being seen wearing brands.

Plenty of watch people like brands whether they like to admit it or not. The watch industry is fairly good at marketing in fairness.

I agree, if ever there was a product that was focused on brands and marketing, it is the watch market. And I can't imagine anyone in the world going "Look at me, I've an Apple on my wrist", as opposed to " Look at me I've a Rolex (etc)". As Eoin says, it will be people wanting to show off what it does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not so sure A. Of all non watch companies that might pull this off it's Apple. They would be the "I've got an Apple on my wrist" type. They have serious previous in this realm of marketing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I can't see people spending $10k on something which will be obsoleted by technology in 2 years. The only way to make that work is to guarantee lifetime upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It's not even a nice price of jewellery and is basically a design they bought from Mark Newson, whos own watch company apparently failed. He is now rumored to take over from Jonathan Ives, who is formulating an exit strategy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

OP here, Interesting how the thread has developed.

I have decided that I probably won't buy an iwatch on initial release for various reasons.
    I am however still in the market for a smartwatch. My main reason is for mountain biking. I need something to control my GoPro as the gopro wifi remote is absolute pants. I also want something that can update strava for logging training. I now don't believe I would use it in work as I wear a suit and and deal directly with the public so a standard wrist watch as we are all use to in this part of boards would be more suitable. Also I'm not mad on any of the smartwatch designs really.

With that in mind I've decided to get a basic pebble for all of the above. It can be had for €120 roughly. I will only wear it for mountain biking after the initial "new watch wearing wears off" (say that sober).
    I read Eoin's comments on the steel version which at first worried me that I wouldn't take to it but actually if it's just for biking and getting covered in mud then I shouldn't really care. The steel is 10 times better looking than the original but is it worth an extra €80 I don't know just yet? I know pebble are releasing version 3 but with deliveries not till May/July, I need this now as my first race is in April.

Are there any alternatives at this price point I should consider. Any comments appreciated.

• Advertisement

The pebble is probably the best watch in that price range, and I think the steel looks better but I believe has the same internals as the original. So if looks aren't an issue I wouldnt bother.

Advertisement