Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Anyone running The Streets of Sligo tomorrow. Whilst nothing like the terrain of The Warriors, and only a third of the distance, it could be a good fitness indicator, especially for any first time entrants.

;)

I would be one of those first time entrants. Happy enough with my Streets of Sligo run. I finished in 23:57 and had a bit of juice in the legs for a gallop down O'Connell St. My first ever 5k. In fact, it was my first race of any sort since the community games twenty something years ago, now that I think about it!

I took a recce up the mountain as the kids were doing the sponsored walk for Diabetes Ireland straight after. What I learned was that I'll need to get a lot of hill work in between now and the end of August to toughen up my quads especially.

I've now had conversations with several people who've done it before. The first told me the hardest bit is the steep drag up to Kelly's. The second said it's the Glen Rd. The third said the Glen Rd is ok, it's the grassy path up that's the worst. The next said the descent of the mountain path's the killer. And last but not least, someone told me the run home was the toughest bit because they'd crucified their legs on the uphill bits!

So, any top tips for a newbie other than get the miles in, do plenty of hill repeats and spend some time on the mountain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I usally head right just as you leave the wide path heading away from the cairn, then cross the hill a few times. The left approach is the angle that I am heading for towards the gate. I would usally be no where near the fence just above the gate.

Different so. I keep to the left of the wide path and when the wide path narroes and meanders right I leave it continuing (off-path) straight down. This brings me eventually to the ledge which I negotiate as described before. Its a technically difficult but is the quickest way down. Killer on the quads so if they aren't ready, ill modify.
    dakar wrote: »
    I would be one of those first time entrants. Happy enough with my Streets of Sligo run. I finished in 23:57 and had a bit of juice in the legs for a gallop down O'Connell St. My first ever 5k. In fact, it was my first race of any sort since the community games twenty something years ago, now that I think about it!

I took a recce up the mountain as the kids were doing the sponsored walk for Diabetes Ireland straight after. What I learned was that I'll need to get a lot of hill work in between now and the end of August to toughen up my quads especially.

I've now had conversations with several people who've done it before. The first told me the hardest bit is the steep drag up to Kelly's. The second said it's the Glen Rd. The third said the Glen Rd is ok, it's the grassy path up that's the worst. The next said the descent of the mountain path's the killer. And last but not least, someone told me the run home was the toughest bit because they'd crucified their legs on the uphill bits!

So, any top tips for a newbie other than get the miles in, do plenty of hill repeats and spend some time on the mountain?

Great time! Well done.

The toughest part is the run home. Imagine trying to run the 5k race after a 10k road run with a mountain at the end! Its torture.

From HERE that 5k time gives you a 10k pace of 8 min miles.
    Use this as a target pace/effort for the road sections on race day.
    When you do hill work do some of running at this pace after the work.

e.g warm up----hill work
    2 x mile @ 8min miles (rest 2 mins between)

Give me a PM if you need any more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

T runner wrote: »
    Different so. I keep to the left of the wide path and when the wide path narroes and meanders right I leave it continuing (off-path) straight down. This brings me eventually to the ledge which I negotiate as described before. Its a technically difficult but is the quickest way down. Killer on the quads so if they aren't ready, ill modify.

Can you clarify where you're talking of here, is this at the very top or further down?
    Where is it in relation to the stoney path?

Will be my 3rd time this year, but as I'm not local I'm unlikely to get a chance to reccie your suggestion.

Can you clarify where you're talking of here, is this at the very top or further down?
    Where is it in relation to the stoney path?

Will be my 3rd time this year, but as I'm not local I'm unlikely to get a chance to reccie your suggestion.

Its not really a suggestion to be honest, were just discussing slightly different routes from the Cairn down to the stoney path.

After the Cairn the path is very wide and graveled for about 100 metres, with 2-3 mini drops. After that the path narrows and zig-zags right and left before then heading straight down to the gate to the stoney path.

The only difference with my route choice is that I go straight down before the zigzag and and rejoin the path after. It saves a few seconds but is steeper, more technical and harder on the quads. Stick to what you're used to. Im local to the area and do a good bit of hill-running so it suits me.

The one change you will encounter is, as Mint Sauce says, that there are now Railway sleepers as steps for the last 20 metres above the stoney path, with the gate to the stoney path being wider.

On this video (going up) the zigzags start at 40 secs , and the point where I miss the zigzags can be seen to the right at 1:23-7

Again I would recommend doing what you're used to on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Folks, i missed the registration for personal reasons this year and had hoped to participate. I know the entries were handled by Precision timing so just wondering does anyone have any info on how the transfers process (if any) will work. Anyone successfully used a transferred entry for past events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Charliebull

can anyone recommend a good spot for hill training

i just got into running this year after a 10 years away from training (football)

currently up to 8-9k running, what should i be at for the warriors run

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i just got into running this year after a 10 years away from training (football)

Do part of the course, no better training.

The tourist path on Knocknarea is open all the time, this is the decent on race day. You can also do the mountain loop, which takes in most of the course including the glen road. Only part it doesn't cover is the mountain.

There is a group that does this most weekends, may have even seen it mentioned on this thread.

Hi Charlie.

Try and build one run a week up to 20k.

Hill training should consist of road reps (for the road sections) and off road- work for the mountain.

The road reps would be 2 min efforts with 1 min rest. Start at 5 x 2mins and add a rep per week. Do a session once per week.

The off-road hill trainig would be practicing walking at a hard but sustainable pace up the mountain. Try and do 2 reps (2 climbs of the mountain on tourist route). Youll be tired on race day climbing it so the second rep will be key. Get used to run the descent controlled and with little effort on tired legs. Just get your eye in. The way to progress after reaching 2 reps is to add road running after. That teaches the body to road run after mountain work, which is vital.
    A session every other week for this.
    Also try and run one of your normal runs faster. Warm up. 3-4 k comfortably hard. warm down. Add a kilometer every session. Once per week.

A Week might look like:
    one long run up to 20k (hilly road if possible-laps of knocknarea is perfect)
    1 hill session (2 min reps)
    1 fast run as described
    1 mountain climbing session every other week.
    easy runs apart from that (5-10k)

So if youre doing 8-9k runs now 4 times a week.

next week might be

11k long. easy pace on hilly road if possible.
    W-up then 5 x 2mins up glen road. Warm down
    WU. Fast run 4k. WD
    WU. Walk hard up knocknarea, jog down. 15 minutes easy on road after.

Build from there. Try and run 5-6 times a week if you can. But build slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

stmochtas wrote: »
    Folks, i missed the registration for personal reasons this year and had hoped to participate. I know the entries were handled by Precision timing so just wondering does anyone have any info on how the transfers process (if any) will work. Anyone successfully used a transferred entry for past events?

I'm the same... missed registration because I wasn't anywhere near a computer at the time. Unless I get a transfer it'll be the first time in about 10 years I'll have missed it. I'm desperate to get a place so if anyone knows anything about the transfer system please reveal all!

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I'm the same... missed registration because I wasn't anywhere near a computer at the time. Unless I get a transfer it'll be the first time in about 10 years I'll have missed it. I'm desperate to get a place so if anyone knows anything about the transfer system please reveal all!

Apologies Folks just spotting these posts. Basically you find someone to transfer with and email the results company who will facilitate.

The entry fee recompensation etc. is sorted privately between the two parties involved in the transfer I believe.

This is from the Registration confirmed email I received:
    TRANSFERS

If you cannot take place in this year’s Warriors Run for any reason you may Transfer your place to someone else. Once you have found someone to transfer to you MUST contact info@precisiontiming.net in order to complete the Transfer. All online transfers (via Precision Timing) must be completed by 8pm Thursday 21st August, 2014. You may also transfer your registration IN PERSON at the Warriors Marquee on Friday 22nd August between 6.30pm and 8pm with the Precision Timing representative. STRICTLY NO TRANSFERS CAN BE DONE ON RACE DAY.

ANYONE TAKING PART IN THE WARRIORS RUN WITHOUT COMPLETING THE TRANSFER PROCESS WITH PRECISION TIMING WILL BE DEEMED DISQUALIFIED.

• Advertisement

Ransboro 10km tomorrow evening. Whilst quite flat, all on roads, and shorter than the Warriors, still a useful event for those wanting race experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Anyone been out running the course recently? Have been meaning to get out for the last few weeks but just haven't got a chance.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    Anyone been out running the course recently? Have been meaning to get out for the last few weeks but just haven't got a chance.

same as that, must get out to run once at least

Dazzler88 wrote: »

Have done the full course twice, and just the mountain section once in the last few weeks, will probably do at least the mountain twice again before the day.

Its tough, have ventured down the new steps at half speed, but will probably stick to my tried and tested zig zag route on the day.

Have done the full course twice, and just the mountain section once in the last few weeks, will probably do at least the mountain twice again before the day.

Its tough, have ventured down the new steps at half speed, but will probably stick to my tried and tested zig zag route on the day.

do you run up and down tourist trial mint,

do you run up and down tourist trial mint,

Only down. Theres a few who go up the race route, and have met including who I assume was one of the farmers up there, and with out issue.

Only down. Theres a few who go up the race route, and have met including who I assume was one of the farmers up there, and with out issue.

how do you access the race route up (ie from where)

how do you access the race route up (ie from where)

Half way up the Glen road theres a Layby on the right hand side. Just before that theres a big ungated gap leading into a feild. Go through there, top of that feild theres a gate on the left, though that and right, though another gate up another steep section, then follow the fence on your right, whilst continuing to climb. Not great and directing from there, but eventually you will turn left away from the fence, where the hill levels out abit. Eventually you will come across a stone wall which will lead you to the top.

T Runner, if about might be able to direct you better.

Half way up the Glen road theres a Layby on the right hand side. Just before that theres a big ungated gap leading into a feild. Go through there, top of that feild theres a gate on the left, though that and right, though another gate up another steep section, then follow the fence on your right, whilst continuing to climb. Not great and directing from there, but eventually you will turn left away from the fence, where the hill levels out abit. Eventually you will come across a stone wall which will lead you to the top.

T Runner, if about might be able to direct you better.

Some Clarification. The gap into the field is directly across for the layby.

Through the gates as above.

Follow the fence as above. Eventually a stone wall will come into view above you on your left, this wall is broken in places, when its no more then turn left almost 180 degrees away from the fence, start climbing the hill at an diagonal so the same wall is again on you left but this time below you. Keep climbing at the same angle till the wall is out of veiw. Eventually up ahead a stone wall will appear going left to right up the hill, probably the same one. Head for this, then follow it to the top.

Then clockwise around the Cairn, before heading down the tourist trail.

From entering the field, back down to the tourist trail car park, is around or just over 5k. Only about 1.5 of this is from the Cairn to the carpark.

Again, T Runner should be able to offer clarification.

Some Clarification. The gap into the field is directly across for the layby.

Through the gates as above.

Follow the fence as above. Eventually a stone wall will come into view above you on your left, this wall is broken in places, when its no more then turn left almost 180 degrees away from the fence, start climbing the hill at an diagonal so the same wall is again on you left but this time below you. Keep climbing at the same angle till the wall is out of veiw. Eventually up ahead a stone wall will appear going left to right up the hill, probably the same one. Head for this, then follow it to the top.

Then clockwise around the Cairn, before heading down the tourist trail.

From entering the field, back down to the tourist trail car park, is around or just over 5k. Only about 1.5 of this is from the Cairn to the carpark.

Again, T Runner should be able to offer clarification.

Its as Mint sauce says there. To give a few more ques (with the caveat that this land is private):

I think opposite the layby there may be a gate to cross. brings you into a couple of fields. Climb and exit at top left. Above you youll see a gate. Do a big zigzag left and right to reach the gate. (you can go straight but the race zigzags). Through the gate and theres a fence on your right. follow it steeply up to the bowl of the mountain. Then follow the fence anti-clockwise around mountain. It gets tight and narrow...when it opens out look for the wall as mints says, but generally go up and left now...if you find any sort of sheep track take it. Youre aiming up and left at an angle. Keep to the left of the heather until the top of this steep section. Now the ground levels....keep following the sheep tracks (west) till you hit a wall. Follow the wall right for a horrible climb..it levels off and there thankfully you can see the cairn. 3/4 way around and down the tourist trail.

So to recap: print the directions... when you reach the gate. Look at the mountain you should see the high gate and where you will have to run around the bowl of the mountain.

Now look at this video.

At 2:01 you see the part just after the high gate where they start to run around the bowl. At 2:06 you can see the main climb that the runners take left and up. That's the tricky part. If you park at the tourist car park you should be able to see this part route from there.
    You can see how it misses the heather. Take a screenshot and print it out. Once you have that part sorted its easy. Run towards the back of the mountain to hit the wall..and follow it right to the cairn.

PS Im down in Strandhill for..ahem.. a week (from today) for altitude acclimitasition and specific terrain training :pac:

If anyone fancies a run (at any pace) PM me or post here. The more excuses I can get to have a run on the mountain the better.

• Advertisement

Its as Mint sauce says there. To give a few more ques (with the caveat that this land is private):

I think opposite the layby there may be a gate to cross. brings you into a couple of fields. Climb and exit at top left. Above you youll see a gate. Do a big zigzag left and right to reach the gate. (you can go straight but the race zigzags). Through the gate and theres a fence on your right. follow it steeply up to the bowl of the mountain. Then follow the fence anti-clockwise around mountain. It gets tight and narrow...when it opens out look for the wall as mints says, but generally go up and left now...if you find any sort of sheep track take it. Youre aiming up and left at an angle. Keep to the left of the heather until the top of this steep section. Now the ground levels....keep following the sheep tracks (west) till you hit a wall. Follow the wall right for a horrible climb..it levels off and there thankfully you can see the cairn. 3/4 way around and down the tourist trail.

So to recap: print the directions... when you reach the gate. Look at the mountain you should see the high gate and where you will have to run around the bowl of the mountain.

Now look at this video.

At 2:01 you see the part just after the high gate where they start to run around the bowl. At 2:06 you can see the main climb that the runners take left and up. That's the tricky part. If you park at the tourist car park you should be able to see this part route from there.
    You can see how it misses the heather. Take a screenshot and print it out. Once you have that part sorted its easy. Run towards the back of the mountain to hit the wall..and follow it right to the cairn.

PS Im down in Strandhill for..ahem.. a week (from today) for altitude acclimitasition and specific terrain training :pac:

If anyone fancies a run (at any pace) PM me or post here. The more excuses I can get to have a run on the mountain the better.

Just how much in private through, considering there are no more gates after the first few hundred metres. What would stop someone going down towards the gates from the Cairn after going up the tourist path.

Also something too note. If you are using gels on the mountain, please hold on to the empty foil. Seen a few up there the other day, not sure if deliberate or accidental, either way, them things will never decompose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Place going for a fellow boardsie, first to request it gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

cloneslad wrote: »
    Place going for a fellow boardsie, first to request it gets it.

Cloneslad I will take that place please. Send me a pm and i will,be in touch. Much appreciated.

Cloneslad I will take that place please. Send me a pm and i will,be in touch. Much appreciated.

And you get it, I'll contact you now

I'm starting to feel a little sick after reading this thread :o

I'm only up to 15km running (slowly) with some hills, but not anything like the glen road. I'm in Dublin and haven't managed to get up to Knocknarea yet.

All I can do is use Bray Head as a practice run a few times over the next two weeks and hope for the best :/

I'm only up to 15km running (slowly) with some hills, but not anything like the glen road. I'm in Dublin and haven't managed to get up to Knocknarea yet.

All I can do is use Bray Head as a practice run a few times over the next two weeks and hope for the best :/

Hey whoopsy. Just looked at a few pics of Bray Head, if you have incorporated climbs to the top of Bray Head in to your runs, I'd say you'll be okay.

Just take things slow, dont try and keep with the crowd. You do have Buenos Aires Drive to get up at the start of the race, long before you reach the Glen Road where you need to keep your energy for. That short hill has caught people out before.

Don't worry about it, sure if you keep training on bray head, howth head etc, you'll suffer each time. Your method means you will only suffer once, and then it's over with.

You've got a logical training method. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. :p

You'll be fine. Make sure to practice walking up Bray head. Then run/walk from the cross over to the Trig point on Bray head summit itself (about 1.5k). Descend back down to Bray prom and then practice running on the prom for a couple of Ks.
    Running on the flat after the hills is most important. Most of the road is after the mountain in the race, so this is very relevant training.
    Less than 10 people in the entire field run all of the mountain. There will be a lot of walking. When practicing walking up, just stay relaxed concentrating on technique. Dont kill yourself.
    So a run over and back Bray head talking the whole prom in before up and after down is a good practice run.
    As was said: on the day there is a hill in the first kilometer. You must go very very easy up this. If you do youre in good shape.

Thanks everyone :)

I've stopped panicking. Sure what's the worst that can happen

<.<
    You'll be fine. Make sure to practice walking up Bray head. Then run/walk from the cross over to the Trig point on Bray head summit itself (about 1.5k). Descend back down to Bray prom and then practice running on the prom for a couple of Ks.

I did part of this last night. Ran from the harbour bar, up to the cross, then back down to the point where it's a pretty much a vertical drop, and back to the harbour bar. It was just under 7km in total, it took me nearly an hour though :o

The positives however are these (let's focus on those shall we!):

The incline up to the bottom of the "hill" was fine.
    The climb up to the cross was manageable, albeit tough.
    I recovered quickly once I got to the top and was happy to keep running after the climb.
    I got back down the hill fairly comfortably.

It'll be graaaaaand. Sure as long as I get to the finish line before the straggler van gets me then I'll be satisfied :o

• Advertisement

Just how much in private through, considering there are no more gates after the first few hundred metres. What would stop someone going down towards the gates from the Cairn after going up the tourist path.

After the higher gate I believe the private land that the Warriors site refers to ends. You could go towards the gates from the Cairn but harder finding the route backwards. Good point though. Another way to find the route is to climb the tourist trail through the gate at half way. After the gate there is a fence on the left hand side for about 50 metres. This then veers left. This fence is actually the same fence that the higher gate on the race route gains access through.
    Following this fence left for a kilometer brings a runner through the narrow section on the race route and following it down brings the runner to the higher gate on the race route. One can start the climb from there without crossing private land.

Also something too note. If you are using gels on the mountain, please hold on to the empty foil. Seen a few up there the other day, not sure if deliberate or accidental, either way, them things will never decompose

I wouldn't be surprised if these were from last years race. Ill bring a bag on my run up there tonight and grab anything i find.

Advertisement