Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best irish college?

Options
  • 12-02-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey I'm just wondering can anyone give me a suggestion for the best Irish colleges for the summer based on standard of learning/craic/price etc.? Also have I left it very late to book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

Dia dhuit ;)

I would highly highly highly recommend Coláiste Uí Chadhain in the Conamara gaeltacht, it is absolutely brilliant. You'll have the best craic, make loads of new friends, improve your irish a lot (they're really strict but in a good way!) and enjoy speaking Gaeilge :)

If you're going into 5th or 6th year I would recommend cúrsa C even though cúrsa A is the official "pre-leaving cert course" because there will be more older students on cúrsa C (there were 30 out of 73 in the sixth year class last year). Also it's the best :pac:

I wrote a bit about it in my effort of a study log if you want to have a look:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056972511

Here's the website:
    http://colaisteuichadhain.ie/

Go n-éirí leat! :D

And there'll be plenty of places left!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭doyle97

Dia is Muire duit!

Thanks very much that's great help! :) I'll definitely have a look at their website now! Do you have to do an interview and what does it consist of if so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

doyle97 wrote: »
    Dia is Muire duit!

Thanks very much that's great help! :) I'll definitely have a look at their website now! Do you have to do an interview and what does it consist of if so?

Fáilte! :) Yes you do, one of the centres is the Spa Hotel in Lucan, one is in Naas, not sure of the others! It's quite straightforward, they have a talk with the parents and you pay the fees there and the questions are literally just:

Cad is ainm duit?
    Cén aois thú?
    An bhfuil aon caitheamh aimsire agat?

etc. Nothing to worry about at all :) They don't put you in classes based on the interview or anything, the classes are based on age group.

Well whichever Coláiste you end up going to, bain taitneamh as! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Coláiste na bhFiann is by far one of the better Irish Colleges out there.

They have many different locations throughout the country - C courses (for primary kids) in Drumree Co Meath and Sligo, B courses (usually for 1st to 4th year) in Killarney, Drumree, Gaoth Dobhair in Donegal and Ros Muc in Galway. There is also the A courses in Rath Cairn in Meath and Sligo.

I've been there a few times and would really recommend for the simple reason that you are really immersed in Irish for the entire three weeks and no English is spoken at all. This is because there is a cinnire/prefect for every 8-10 students. Also, most students who attend really want to improve their Irish, not just there for a long holiday!

There are classes each morning (except Sunday of course!) and the they are usually very different to the normal classroom setting. Each class has a different objective i.e. perhaps to run through the sraith or even basic grammar rules.

There are good activities arranged in the evening and swimming is usually twice a week. Ceilís are held most evenings - don't worry I wasn't too good at dancing and I still survived!! Parents can visit on Sundays if desired.

Also, Coláiste na bhFiann offer a lot more than summer courses - they organise Cumann na bhFiann which are Irish clubs throughout the country each week. They also have oral courses during the year, a big reunion usually in the RDS in August, a fun day at their HQ in Meath during the courses and many more events.

Why I would recommend them is simply because I have totally improved my fluency in Irish and feel much more confident now. Not to mention the other important aspects like the great atmosphere and the many friends I made!

Go n-éirí leat agus bain sult as ar aon nós!!

Oh and there is an interview - usually in April. They are usually held in each county.

http://www.colaistenabhfiann.ie/downloads/1381917975foirm_iarratais_2014__gaoth_dobhair.pdf

Advertisement