Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fluence or Mazda3 ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're going to have to defer to peoples experiences of the Renault and the Mazda tbh.
    OP says the Renault has been reliable and he's happy with it. (and I've owned 3).
    I, and many others, can relate the opposite stories about Mazda diesel's. (btdt).

The Mazda diesel is not proven to be a better car. You're going on Mazda's petrol history - which is excellent (and I still have one).

It's a €3k gamble at best, more if it turns out to follow the path of it's predecessors.
    You'll have to defer also then. I had a problem free Mazda 2 litre diesel for well over 100k miles. My mate also, for over 160k miles. Look at the unblown-up ones for sale here and the UK.
    On the other hand, Renault really are coming from behind regarding reliability, and it'll take more than 1 reliable Fluence to pull them out of that hole.
    Besides, my point was that the Mazda 2 litre diesel has a poor reputation, as has ALL Renaults from the same era and beyond. So we either go by history and stay away from anything that was once reliable or we use a bit of reason and judgement.
    The 2.2 D was a modified 2 litre engine and was by and large sound, with a very small percentage of issues. This one is all new. To assume it's as bad as previous is just as silly as assuming that all new Renaults are as bad as their previous stuff, which were more than just engine problems!
    Also, there is more to a car than it's engine, and that's why I said that the Mazda 3 IS a better car than the Fluence, in all the ways that you can measurably define. If you have concerns about reliability, then the Warranty will take care of those for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

In fairness though - Renault HAVE it seems really picked up their act since 08 - and in fact I believe they WERE STARTING to make progress even during the Laguna II run - as it seems later Laguna IIs (post 05 facelift) were quite a bit better.

Think someone on here or another forum - actually produced german reliability stats to shgw that 06 was a year in which Renault started progressing reliability stats - a chap by the user name of Brian D3 I think.

There are of course other alternative cars for the OP to consider - Pug 308 (possibly too small - but theres an estate coming soon), Octavia, Mondeo (OP is interested in the Insignia, new model Civic (maybe a bit expensive), Seat Leon - and theres also the new Auris to consider - from what I can see its a step forward from the old model.

Most Irish test reports ive read seem to rate the new Toyota Corolla highly - personally im not keen - but it could be a perfectly good car for the OP.

Skoda Yeti is also worth a look - not sure how it would suit the OP - but its very highly regarded by both owners and the press - and may be worth a look.

personally though - if I were OP and was happy with the Insignia size - id consider the Mondeo instead.

Yeti may be a good compromise though in terms of size and room - hence why ive suggested it

Best of luck anyway OP

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus. wrote: »
    . A comparison with the Insignia is unfair as its from the next Segment up.

Which just shows how bad Mazda's prices are if it's working out the same price. They seem to think they are a luxury brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The Mazda is offering more than the Fluence for the price - a larger and more powerful engine being the main thing. Maybe if the Mazda had an entry level diesel like the fluence has the price difference would not be the issue.

You're getting a much more capable car with the Mazda but it's €3k more. In a situation like that you'd need to decide whether the money is worth it for more power, much nicer interior (the Fluence feels like 1988 inside) and better looks.

The Mazda is offering more than the Fluence for the price - a larger and more powerful engine being the main thing. Maybe if the Mazda had an entry level diesel like the fluence has the price difference would not be the issue.

You're getting a much more capable car with the Mazda but it's €3k more. In a situation like that you'd need to decide whether the money is worth it for more power, much nicer interior (the Fluence feels like 1988 inside) and better looks.

Seen a video review of the 3 - from a Uk reviewer - and she seemed to imply there was a 1.6 diesel coming :).

Assuming shes correct - I imagine we can safely assume that WILL come to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It's just the 2 litre in the 6 that was the big issue, and that wasn't a guaranteed problem either. The 2.2 is much better, despite what you may like to believe.
    Nah the 2.2 isn't much better than the 2.0, "despite what you may believe". As I said Mazda haven't made a diesel with decent reliability in years.

Mazda don't make the 1.6 diesel in the 3. It a psa unit that doesn't have a great track record in reliability itself. the newer generation of this engine is said to be improved though, but it's still a bit too early to tell yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

The Mazda v Fluence debate has long ended :)

Just dont think the Mazda dealers are going the extra mile for the deal in comparison to Opel/Renault/Toyota

I want to change but was open minded with not much in my mind, seen the Mazda 3 and liked it, like the 2.2 engine etc
    but then with a deal from opel dealer who I know, i can get Insignia for same money, that deal looks the one

cheers for the help !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

savic04 wrote: »

Just dont think the Mazda dealers are going the extra mile for the deal in comparison to Opel/Renault/Toyota

I want to change but was open minded with not much in my mind, seen the Mazda 3 and liked it, like the 2.2 engine etc
    but then with a deal from opel dealer who I know, i can get Insignia for same money, that deal looks the one

cheers for the help !!

Wishing you all the best with your new opel op I guess mazda feel they can get top dollar for a brand new car.

cheers for the help !!

The ex demo one mentioned earlier???.

Not an Insignia expert - but one thing to note is that the Insignia was facelifted recently.

Obviously if the one your looking to do a deal on is a facelift then happy days - but something worth checking imo.

Assuming your not anti Ford a Mondeo may be worth a look too - although I do understand completely wanting to deal with someone you know and trust.

Id also take a decent test drive in an Insignia before commiting to one - I will openly admit to never having driven one myself - but from hearing from those who have - the Insignia really splits opinion.

Some people love them - but others hate them.

They are a very nice looking car it has to be said in all fairness

Best of luck anyway :)

Old diesel wrote: »
    The ex demo one mentioned earlier???.

Not an Insignia expert - but one thing to note is that the Insignia was facelifted recently.

Obviously if the one your looking to do a deal on is a facelift then happy days - but something worth checking imo.

Assuming your not anti Ford a Mondeo may be worth a look too - although I do understand completely wanting to deal with someone you know and trust.

Id also take a decent test drive in an Insignia before commiting to one - I will openly admit to never having driven one myself - but from hearing from those who have - the Insignia really splits opinion.

Some people love them - but others hate them.

They are a very nice looking car it has to be said in all fairness

Best of luck anyway :)

It's a brand new insignia and the newer engine/facelift one. Have driven it before and liked it. The Mazda would be little better drive buts it's a smaller car using a slightly larger/better engine so it would.

Looked at current Mondeo but new one due out end of year here so don't want to be driving an old model after a year. New insignia isn't due til 2017ish

• Advertisement

It's a brand new insignia and the newer engine/facelift one. Have driven it before and liked it. The Mazda would be little better drive buts it's a smaller car using a slightly larger/better engine so it would.

Looked at current Mondeo but new one due out end of year here so don't want to be driving an old model after a year. New insignia isn't due til 2017ish

Good stuff - best of luck with your Insignia :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

It's a brand new insignia and the newer engine/facelift one. Have driven it before and liked it.

How fast is it?

Jesus. wrote: »
    How fast is it?

It's very responsive .. I'm only going for the 140bhp engine, mazda3 is 155

Not a huge diff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Nah the 2.2 isn't much better than the 2.0, "despite what you may believe".
    Ya, it is actually.
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Mazda don't make the 1.6 diesel in the 3. It a psa unit that doesn't have a great track record in reliability itself. the newer generation of this engine is said to be improved though, but it's still a bit too early to tell yet.
    That's a moot point considering Mazda don't use it anymore.

Advertisement