Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground cover for chicken run

Options
  • 11-02-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi All,,,

Looking for a little advice please....

I currently have a chicken run which is approx 5ft x 15ft and it is on part concrete and mainly on 10mm garden stones and there is no grass available as we completely stoned our garden due to drainage issues with the Marl soil in our garden,....

I am finding that the hen poo is just sitting on top of the stones, so my idea is to get rid of the stones entirely, and replace it with sand approx 4 - 5 inches deep and also to sand the area that is on concrete....

What does everyone else find the best way to take care of the ground area in the run? obviously there will be poo, but I want the easiest way to take care of it possible....

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I put in bark chippings, deep enough. They enjoy scratching in it.
    I have a roof over mine, but I have NEVER had to clean it out. I just top up the bark every now and again.
    It is on soil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

El Kabong! wrote: »
    I put in bark chippings, deep enough. They enjoy scratching in it.
    I have a roof over mine, but I have NEVER had to clean it out. I just top up the bark every now and again.
    It is on soil though.

Cheers for that. i was under the impression that bark chips were bad for the chickens as they can rot and create mould spores ???

Either way i think i will have to completely cover the run now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Harmony Farm

Hi one of our runs is on limestone chippings but as we feed lots of weeds the leftover stems/roots bind with the droppings and then I can lift this with a fork and take it out. This removes a lot of the manure, however, every 18-24 months we must change the top layer of stones. The run is a holding pen, so it is not in constant use (used about 7-8 months a year).
    Rubber chippings are said to be good, and can be hosed down (however, the runoff has to go somewhere).
    If you cover the run, wood shavings straw or as already suggested, bark chips may be suitable.
    Regards

SNIP

No Advertising Allowed

Advertisement