Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powder room girls review anyone??

Options
  • 11-02-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi

Getting married next march and wondering if anyone has used the services of powder room girls. There pictures look fab and reviews I done so far are great but looking for some more.

They are quiet expensive, although I can't find any one else that does packages together, so nothing to compare it too.

Any input is very much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

anyone!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Have you tried having a look through there facebook comments and see what the feedback is like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I didn't use them myself, but looked into them. Wasn't overly excited to be honest and thought they were very expensive.

I ended up getting a recommendation for a hairdresser from my own hairdresser, who in turn recommends a make up artist.

There's no real need to go with a package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Price around and see would hiring a MUA and a hairdresser work out cheaper than their packages. I find they are a bit on the expensive side.

Yeah, thanks girls. All the comments on facebook are great, and I like the look of their work and the fact they come to your house together for hair and make up but really trying to justify the price, it will work out at around 700 for trials and the wedding morning, and thats not with the top artists!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I would highly recommend them. Very professional compared to others I checked out and outstanding service on the day. Worth every cent.

lazygal wrote: »
    I would highly recommend them. Very professional compared to others I checked out and outstanding service on the day. Worth every cent.

Did you go for the top artists? I really like there photos, but only so much a photo can tell. I've had a look at others and prices all similar, and some don't do house calls, this is an important factor for me, don't want to be stressing trying to get to salons on the morning..

amor3 wrote: »
    Did you go for the top artists? I really like there photos, but only so much a photo can tell. I've had a look at others and prices all similar, and some don't do house calls, this is an important factor for me, don't want to be stressing trying to get to salons on the morning..

No, just the regular ones. I found many hair and make up artists were flakey about prices and getting back to me whereas the Powder Room Girls were really reliable and professional. My trials confirmed this and I'm happy to recommend them. A friend used them after my wedding and was also very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Highly highly recommend them too.
    I trialled everyone under the sun, cheap to expensive and they were the only ones to listen to what I actually wanted rather than what they thought was "typically bride-like" (yes, I was pure awkward).
    I've used them since for every big occasion, I trust them 100%, no matter which person I get (i.e. depending on who is available).
    Could not recommend them highly enough...

• Advertisement

I used them for makeup, not for my wedding, and it was only ok. I actually got a much better job done at an Inglot counter a few weeks later.
    I'd be very particular about makeup though, I have some background in it.
    I used a very good makeup artist for my wedding, can PM you her name if you like.
    I asked my usual hairdresser if she'd come to the house in the morning of the wedding, it worked out very well and helped a lot that she 'knew' my hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

my friend had them and was very happy. She and the bridal party all looked fab. They travelled to the midlands from Dublin. I had looked into them but found them a bit pricey. I'm going with a different hair and MUA myself but they're only a small bit cheaper in the end

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I found them extremely expensive, I had a separate hairdresser and MUA come to my house. Try word of mouth, do you know anyone who has had events or weddings recently? My own hairdresser did my hair and my make up artist travelled from Newry all in all I paid 50% less then the PRG's quote. Both were flawless, hair lasted till the next day, and makeup lasted from11am-4am with minimal touch ups. Also make sure you check what brands are being used, make sure you know it won't react to your skin and that the brand used will last on your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I priced them about a year ago and found them way too expensive. Opted to get hair and make up done separately, which worked out quite a bit cheaper for me. Had a great make up artist who I would have no problem recommending if you want to pm me for more info. Hope you get sorted :)

I've provisionally booked with them, so I'll get a trial done anyway. As a pp mentioned, even I looked into a
    Separate hair and make up, the prices in the end where not that much cheaper and in some cases dearer.. My own hair dresser is fine for my colour but I don't like them for hair styles and any salon I got make up done in, it seemed very caked on, yeah I'm fussy :-)

But please do feel free to pm details of mua/hairdressers and I can do a bit of reviews, thanks girls..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

I booked Christine Murphy from The Powder Room Girls for hair and she was amazing. Spent lots of time at the trial doing 3 different styles until I was happy, she is a calm, relaxed person to have around on such a big occasion! My BMs have very different types of hair from very fragile with extensions to long, thick curly hair and Christine did a superb job on each of them. My hair did not move from 11am to 4.30am the next day, after lots of dancing!

I booked Yvonne Maher for make up & she was incredible, so once I had a trial with her I didn't want another MUA, that's why I didn't use Powder Room Girls for make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

Had a really bad experience with them on sat (not wedding make up). Hair good but sent me home looking like a drag queen. Awful. Had to scrub makeup off when I got home. Nearly ruined my birthday night out only I had time to do my makeup again myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Cannot recommend them highly enough - well the 2 we used anyway. My sister booked them for her wedding and I thought they were very expensive. However, they were fantastic. Were at the house bang on the dot the day of the wedding and did an amazing job.

When people came to the evening reception they couldn't believe that the hairs and makeup hadn't been touched all day. The next morning I took all the clips out of my hair and I had lovely curls rather than the usual birds nest that I have seen before.
    I shall be certainly using them for mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Used them for hair and make up, after my sister had them at her wedding and I was her briedemaid. Both her bridesmaids have since booked them and mine did too. They were fab. I HATE getting my hair and makeup done as I dislike heavey makeup but I had not a worry kind once I had them. Even changed added a veil a the last moment post trial and they changed my hair accordingly and it was fab. I have no idea if I had one of the "top" ones just booked the ones my sister did.

Great to read the reviews. I am sticking with them, we have changed our wedding date from when i orginally posted this topic so its now September. I am booked in with Lorraine for Hair and Tanya for make up they are from the leinster team.

• Advertisement

I had Lorraine! Even three and a half years on my Mum says it was the best hairdo she ever got done. My Mum has not great hair and even the day after it looked great.

lazygal wrote: »
    I had Lorraine! Even three and a half years on my Mum says it was the best hairdo she ever got done. My Mum has not great hair and even the day after it looked great.

Oh my mam will be pleased to hear this. She got her hair done for my sister's wedding (in france) and they had her looking like Mrs Brown! I've been to the salon to do hair modelling for the last two weeks for new trainees, and one of the girls would not stop raving about Lorraine!

I actually complained directly the the owner about my experience and apart from acknowledging the email she has totally ignored me. Awful customer service. She has lost a wedding booking as my sister was going to book there. I actually only wanted my complaint acknowledged and an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jackomo

I had a trial done recently and was really disappointed. My hair looked like I'd done it myself (and I'm not exactly a hairdresser) and the make up was awful. They called a freelance girl in to do it and I barely recognised myself. I asked for a natural look and by the time she finished I looked like Jordan/Katie Price. I didn't feel I was listened to, I wasn't offered any choices with hair or make up and I feel like I could have flushed the trial money down the toilet. They are way overpriced for what they offered for my trial. I would say if you're going to use them, get one of the directors and go in with a very exact idea of what you're looking for with photos.

Jackomo wrote: »
    I had a trial done recently and was really disappointed. My hair looked like I'd done it myself (and I'm not exactly a hairdresser) and the make up was awful. They called a freelance girl in to do it and I barely recognised myself. I asked for a natural look and by the time she finished I looked like Jordan/Katie Price. I didn't feel I was listened to, I wasn't offered any choices with hair or make up and I feel like I could have flushed the trial money down the toilet. They are way overpriced for what they offered for my trial. I would say if you're going to use them, get one of the directors and go in with a very exact idea of what you're looking for with photos.

Exactly what happened to me except I wish it was a trial it was an important birthday! And still no reply from the owner. Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jackomo

lyoness wrote: »
    Exactly what happened to me except I wish it was a trial it was an important birthday! And still no reply from the owner. Disgraceful

Bad customer service all round then!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

@NiamhUiMh your post has been removed due to violation of the charter.

"If you want to post a recommendation, criticism or review of a wedding related business, you must have either:

a MINIMUM of 20 posts

OR be an active member of Boards.ie for OVER 2 months"

Please review the charter before posting again, thanks.

Advertisement