Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wild camping permitted?

Options
  • 16-03-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

This might seem a little naive but I genuinely don’t know the answers to the following questions. I used to be a scout many moons ago and loved camping out in the wilds,
    getting water from streams, cooking on a campfire, building a bivouac, hiking, fishing etc etc, I now have a 10 year old son who wants to go camping with me and I don’t know what options are open to us? I would prefer to go “wild camping” as opposed to an “organised campsite” ie commercial camping. (It goes without saying that no rubbish would be left and everything would be left the way it was found ie respect to the countryside.

Q1 If it is possible/legal to camp “wild” in Ireland and if so what are the considerations? Is land permission needed on state land etc?

Q2 Can you have a campfire?

Q3 Is there anything I am overlooking?

Kind regards

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i do know on the wicklow way you need to be a set distance from the the trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

There's no wild camping like there is in other countries as there's no common land here, but in general, you can camp in Coillte forests and some parts of the National Parks. Each park has a website that you can check for whether camping is permitted, and where. For instance, in the Wicklow Mountains National Park, wild camping is allowed subject to some pretty strict rules, but not at all in Glendalough, and it's the only place I've ever seen consistent enforcement. They don't allow fires in the WNMP, either.

All Coillte land is currently accessable (although the rules may change if it's privatised) and camping is allowed, unless felling is ongoing. They do allow fires in places and want you to follow their Leave No Trace policies.

For the most part, if you're out of sight and don't take the piss, no one will care or challenge you. The exception is tourist traps like Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

It seems to be a lot more accepted practice in Ulster.

Last time I was in the Mournes I couldn't get over the amount of tents I saw dotted around the hills.

This blog might give you some inspiration.

http://onefootintheclouds.blogspot.com/2010/03/back-in-motherland-slieve-commedagh.html

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

can anybody shed some light on wild camping around Killarney? The national park website doesn't seem to mention it...

apc wrote: »
    can anybody shed some light on wild camping around Killarney? The national park website doesn't seem to mention it...

My understanding is that it's banned in the Park, although it does happen. Farther South, there are Coillte forests, where it's allowed, but nothing close to the town.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's banned in the Park, although it does happen. Farther South, there are Coillte forests, where it's allowed, but nothing close to the town.

any suggestions on places to wild camp in Cork or Kerry?or Clare?

Coillte Forests, for the most part, are open to wild campers, subject to the usual rules.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have wild camped on the dunes in Ventry, Co Kerry.

Have wild camped on the dunes in Ventry, Co Kerry.

How did that go?any major problems? Ventry does sound ideal....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

I wild camped on Carrauntoohil last year. I think as long as you DON'T leave mess behind you or light fire then should be fine.if you show some respect to local people and nature noone gives you hassle.(no shouting, no rubbish left behind). but i presume experts gonna give you much more detailed information :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I had a quick poke around some sites about camp fires.

Fires aren't permitted in the WMNP area, but are in Coillte forests.

Mac2010 wrote: »
    I wild camped on Carrauntoohil last year. I think as long as you DON'T leave mess behind you or light fire then should be fine.if you show some respect to local people and nature noone gives you hassle.(no shouting, no rubbish left behind). but i presume experts gonna give you much more detailed information :)

Yeah, if you're not taking the piss, everyone becomes much more amenable to camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Generally speaking in Kerry and Cork you'll get no hassle from landowners if you're out of sight, clean, quiet, and not taking up permanent residence.

For example we set up camp in the crags in the Gap of Dunloe for a few days last year, did a bit of climbing during the day, and had a great time. We met a few others passing by and it was very enjoyable. we did the same in the Hags Glen a few weeks later.

This might seem obvious and apologies if it is but it's important to stay well clear of places where lads go drinking late at night : there's usually plenty of evidence to warn you off. Fortunately horror stories are rare but try not to be seen from a road, and camp well away from Coillte (and other) carparks.

Don't forget that a headtorch makes a tent glow like a beacon and might draw the wrong sort of attention, particularly at weekends.

For the full on wilderness experience take a look at the area around Cloon Lough in the western end of the Reeks, "far out " in every sense!

For the full on wilderness experience take a look at the area around Cloon Lough in the western end of the Reeks, "far out " in every sense!

The Reeks?

I think the Dunkerrons want their lake back! ;)

But you are right, it's a stunning area. Haven't camped there, but great place to walk.

Have seen a few camp beside the mountain rescue hut at the end of the Hag's Glen, which is pretty well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Good point, but anytime I mention the Dunkerrons people think I'm talking about Australia :)

The area around the hut is good, plenty of water, the odd bit of company but no chance of drawing attention from messers as it's too far in the glen.

The walk in is fairly OK too if you're carrying a lot of camping gear, its flat until the move away from the river and then a short steep bit and you're home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

This might seem a little naive but I genuinely don’t know the answers to the following questions. I used to be a scout many moons ago and loved camping out in the wilds,
    getting water from streams, cooking on a campfire, building a bivouac, hiking, fishing etc etc, I now have a 10 year old son who wants to go camping with me and I don’t know what options are open to us? I would prefer to go “wild camping” as opposed to an “organised campsite” ie commercial camping. (It goes without saying that no rubbish would be left and everything would be left the way it was found ie respect to the countryside.

Q1 If it is possible/legal to camp “wild” in Ireland and if so what are the considerations? Is land permission needed on state land etc?

Q2 Can you have a campfire?

Q3 Is there anything I am overlooking?

Kind regards

personal safety could be an issue, especially with areas close to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TentCrasher

I wouldnt be going camping in the coillte parks just beyond Ratfarnam or Tallaght unless your with a large group.

I wouldnt be going camping in the coillte parks just beyond Ratfarnam or Tallaght unless your with a large group.

its safer if you are at least 500m from a road. Scobes do not stray far from roads.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its safer if you are at least 500m from a road. Scobes do not stray far from roads.

Yea but your car be in danger then. Tbh i just would not chance it, two many young lads out there now that go out purposely looking for trouble.

Yea but your car be in danger then. Tbh i just would not chance it, two many young lads out there now that go out purposely looking for trouble.

To be honest, unless you park in a pub carpark or something, your car won't be safe. There's scumbags and joyriders all over Wicklow and the Dublin Mountains.

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    To be honest, unless you park in a pub carpark or something, your car won't be safe. There's scumbags and joyriders all over Wicklow and the Dublin Mountains.

or near a farmhouse

Fuinseog wrote: »
    or near a farmhouse

Be handy enough to get permission for the likes of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good spot/area to go wild camping in or around Sligo/South Donegal, any help and suggestions appreciated in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Anyone have any suggestions for places in kildare or meath
    Is camping aloud in donadea, its a coillte forest, but i didnt think camping was allowed

Camp site in Athy 6 euro pp.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭waterboy15

justshane wrote: »
    Hi,

Could anyone recommend a good spot/area to go wild camping in or around Sligo/South Donegal, any help and suggestions appreciated in advance.

The glen on glen road knocknarea sligo, great shelter from wind but u will get rain drops from trees, u can park at layby.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭waterboy15

Oh and i believe there is some common ground at mullaghmore sligo but ask locally

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BigBobE

daz801 wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions for places in kildare or meath
    Is camping aloud in donadea, its a coillte forest, but i didnt think camping was allowed

any one any idea i would interested in this myself??? am based in lucan so anywhere within an hour 90mins would be a perfect location, one secluded but where i can preferabley bring the 4x4....

just easier for lugging gear :P and shelter in the damp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I've been up there for years wandering around and have never really seen any trouble, I wouldn't leave a car up there overnight but the scrotes hardly ever go off the road much if they are knacker drinking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Is wild camping being oppressed? Should I go out and camp while it's still allowed without requiring different permits, a H&S course and GPS tracking tag?

Advertisement