Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducks dis-appeared

Options
  • 10-02-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Went out to feed ducks and hens this morning. Hens are locked in hen house and ducks are usually in fenced in area with duck house.
    Ducks were nowhere to be seen. I thought fox might have got them but didn't think he would take all three. Also, no signs of feathers anywhere which would indicate a struggle.
    So, I'm wondering would they have got a notion to fly away. Wings not clipped.
    If they did fly away, I wonder would they come back for food and shelter ?

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

Could very well have been a fox. Foxes will kill everything and will keep coming back for the bodies throughout the night. With only three ducks its very possible he came back three times.

Ducks have much tighter feathers than chickens and a struggle with a fox wouldn't result in as many lost feathers as the same struggle with chickens.

What breed are they. Most domestic ducks dont have the ability to fly any great distance. There are some exceptions to this, like call ducks but in general flying is not usually a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for reply.
    Seems you might be right about fox. I found a clumb of feathers and some blood in the field. I had hoped that maybe the other 2 ducks might have escaped but now I think Foxey came back for bodies.

My fault really. Had been meaning to put up another fence but weather put me off doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Poor Ducks :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 small farms association

if theyre purebred and youre well known in poultry theyre where probaly robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Remember lad that had a good few ducks but they kept disappearing. One day back in the shed he was watching a duck passing the pig pen. Out come the snout in went the duck by the time he got to the pen there was not a feather left.

I had duck stuffed with bacon a few time but bacon stuffed with duck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

More likely it's a fox. Don't rule out a mink or feral cat either mate. Sounds like a fox but just saying there's other culprits but they've all got different ways of killing.
    Might be worth investing in a big oul goose.
    Great alarms and would deter a fox and could be kept around chickens and ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

if theyre purebred and youre well known in poultry theyre where probaly robbed

more than ducks have disappeared in such fashion, a goose wont keep away foxes :) but in house with perches and plenty room a pair will kick up a racket but will you hear that,secure housing with lockable doors is best and a mesh door fitted to outside of door frame to let in air if away, foxes work well in daytime too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I forgot to update this thread. Neighbour's dogs killed the ducks. That's the short version of the story :)

Advertisement