Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survival Fishing - minimum gear you'd need.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

chopper6 wrote: »
    5 weeks doesnt matter too much at this time of year...very few fish around.

Gonna buy me one and see how it goes.

I think I'll stick with my fly rods, but it was a bit of fun!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I think I'll stick with my fly rods, but it was a bit of fun!:)

I always mean to have a rod in the boot of the car in case i just happen to come across a decent bit of water...my reasoning is that now i can keep it in the glove compartment!

I must say i am curious and would love to catch something on an outfit like that!

I always mean to have a rod in the boot of the car in case i just happen to come across a decent bit of water...my reasoning is that now i can keep it in the glove compartment!

I must say i am curious and would love to catch something on an outfit like that!

Dats exactly where I keep mine :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Does anyone remember the show on tv about the two guys who had to eat what they caught?

It was set in the West of Ireland and they had to catch Coarse, Game, Sea and Pike. The winner got a steak dinner and the loser got fish and chips. I can't find anything on Google about it and trying to think of the name is wrecking my head.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the show on tv about the two guys who had to eat what they caught?

It was set in the West of Ireland and they had to catch Coarse, Game, Sea and Pike. The winner got a steak dinner and the loser got fish and chips. I can't find anything on Google about it and trying to think of the name is wrecking my head.

Yea I remember that! One guy had longish black hair and the other had shaved fair hair, it used to be on discovery shed I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

"Rod wars" wasn't it??

If that program was anything to go on, you'd get hungry fairly quickly if trying survival fishing. There was one episode tho where the shaved head guy had a packet of small freshwater hooks and baited them small baits from the beach. He caught fish after fish, undersized but if you were hungry they'd do.

SeaFields wrote: »
    "Rod wars" wasn't it??

If that program was anything to go on, you'd get hungry fairly quickly if trying survival fishing. There was one episode tho where the shaved head guy had a packet of small freshwater hooks and baited them small baits from the beach. He caught fish after fish, undersized but if you were hungry they'd do.

That's it!!!

"Rod wars" wasn't it??

Reel wars dude :)

And yeah you'd soon be starving if you were relying on fish for survival...the human body needs about 3000 calories per day to survive,you'd be hard pressed to get that from fish unless you were pulling in salmon or eels in pretty big quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

So If I was going to spend some money on "minimum gear" should I spend more on the rod or the reel? Budget is say €100 and I expect to spend more on line and terminal gear.

I'm over in the UK in a month on the south coast in Cornwall, loads of places to buy tackle including at least one very good discount outlet so I'm putting together a shopping list - might be only be wish list but have to start somewhere.

In addition I might also get a cheap telescopic rod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Reel wars dude :)

And yeah you'd soon be starving if you were relying on fish for survival...the human body needs about 3000 calories per day to survive,you'd be hard pressed to get that from fish unless you were pulling in salmon or eels in pretty big quantities.

To be honest I don't think anybody could survive by fishing in this country using legal means. We all know what a typical week's angling turns up and then you have to take seasons and legal keep sizes for many species in to consideration as well. You could play at it for a day or so but then it would be back home for a feed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

To be honest I don't think anybody could survive by fishing in this country using legal means. We all know what a typical week's angling turns up and then you have to take seasons and legal keep sizes for many species in to consideration as well. You could play at it for a day or so but then it would be back home for a feed.:)

Close the thread then, obviously the wrong place to be asking about fishing gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Close the thread then, obviously the wrong place to be asking about fishing gear.

No, no. Please don't get me wrong. As I said earlier I'd go for light spinning gear if push came to shove. But, I'm just saying that the reality would be difficult with the constraints that abound.

A telescopic rod with a light reel would cover many situations. Its just that scavenging for shell fish and crabs or shrimp would possibly be a better survival technique when you take time and energy spent in the process versus calories/energy gathered.

Gear for angling as a hobby would be a different kettle of fish of course.

My advice would be a lot of small hooks and a few large hooks. A couple of different breaking strains of line...so a small spinnning reel with two spare spools...say one loaded with 3lb mono and another with 10lb mono..a pack of assorted split shot and some small rubber bands...you can improvise floats quite easily.

I've always been a bait fisherman,some people would advise a few different lures for example but i've always caught more fish with bait plus it can usually be scavenged onsite.

If you were on the shore dont overlook simple methods for catching small fish and crusteceans that dont involve actual tackle...a plastic bottle cut in two and reversed,weighted and baited will catch shrimps,small eels and small fish...crabs can be found under rocks at low tide and in seaweeed at pilings.

There is also a river technique called "tickling" wherby you feel for fish with your hands and then pull them out sharply...it takes a lot of practise but it's an old poachers techniique...another is "babbing" which involves threading worms onto wool and lowering it into the water,eels in particular get caught by the teeth in the wool and can be landed that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For the sake of it I just bought one on ebay. Will report back on the quality but a little over the price of a pint tis worth a gamble. Got myself a little pen rod with multiplier. :)

And the award for the slowest postage in ebay history goes to.....I got mine yesterday :cool:

Advertisement