Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax way too cheap for my car!?!

Options
  • 08-02-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I bought a mk4 golf r32 a few weeks ago which is a 3.2l and the time has come to tax it for the first time. I went on to motortax.ie to see how much it is and it says it cost €626 for the year! I had a 1.9 tdi golf before it and that cost €710 to tax for the year so there’s defiantly something not right with the price they’re giving me on my r32. Does anyone know why this could be? Could this be just a glitch on their system or has the previous owner been up to something dodgy with the tax? They’ll probably just give me the proper price (€1809) in the tax office but what do I do if they look for €626, should I play along? I’m not looking to break the law but if it’s a glitch on their side it shouldn’t be my fault for paying them the price they ask for, should it? Again I’m not looking for advice on how to break the law, if paying them the €620(if that’s what they look for)is against the law I’m not going to play along, the last thing I want is for my car to be ceased or worse. Does anyone know how this could have happened?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Check to make sure it's not a 1.8 on the logbook. That could have been changed for tax reasons, the tax rate is for a 1.8 GTI just happens to be €636. If that's the case then you're wasting your money, the tax is null and void by not declaring the right engine size even if it's not your fault. I'd also be making sure the insurance know it's an R32 in this case, as the reg will give them the same information as what the logbook says.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Nope. it's down as a 3.2 on the book, i even got a full reg check on the car before i bought it and it came up as a 3.2 r32 same goes for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What year is the car. It's not a newer car by any chance where tax is based on emissions.

Check to make sure it's not a 1.8 on the logbook. That could have been changed for tax reasons, the tax rate is for a 1.8 GTI just happens to be €636. If that's the case then you're wasting your money, the tax is null and void by not declaring the right engine size even if it's not your fault. I'd also be making sure the insurance know it's an R32 in this case, as the reg will give them the same information as what the logbook says.

Actually sorry your right, it is €636, does this mean it's had a different engine at some point?

What year is the car. It's not a newer car by any chance where tax is based on emissions.

No 03, a tree killer haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clutchkick wrote: »
    No 03, a tree killer haha

Its possible the last owner had it taxed as a 1.8 and got it altered recently to correct engine. I would have thought that tax office details would automatically update though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Play along tbh.

I need some of this in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

I know what I`d do... ;)

If you decide to play along use the extra money to get a set of quality tires and do a service just to please the think of the children/kittens brigade..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Offer to pay 2 years in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Check what cc the is on the Log Book, The model description may still be r32 3.2 but the CC could be change independently of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not often you read a thread like this. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ShanE90

I wish my 3.0 was €636 to tax...I know what I'd be doing if I were you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Yep...contact Shannon immediately and have them rectify the cc rating....

...to 1392cc!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What's on the disc in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Motortax is complete extortion in this country.

People with identical 07 / 08 cars on two siginificantly different rates even though their cars could be IDENTICAL

People with 1.3 rotary engines getting shafted at a 1.8 tax rate just because the Government feels like doing so.

The motortax system here is total exploitation of your average motorist yet you should somehow feel guilty as a result of a clerical error somwhere that didn't even involve you in any way which results in you now having to pay what is still a relatively expensive rate of €636 as opposed to an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD rate of €1,809???

F***k 'em I say!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

You sure you weren't sold a GTI with an r32 body kit? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I also got a nice surprise when taxing the A4, they wanted €280 for the year.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    I also got a nice surprise when taxing the A4, they wanted €280 for the year.

What year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Is it that black one from Donegal?

Well I got it in Belfast and VRT'd it in Donegal, but it turned out that the low emissions made a bigger difference than I thought.

• Advertisement

Well I got it in Belfast and VRT'd it in Donegal, but it turned out that the low emissions made a bigger difference than I thought.

Something was done wrong, vrt is calculated on co2 emissions but motor tax on pre 2008 is based on cc. You should be paying €1809 to tax it.

Neilw wrote: »
    Something was done wrong, vrt is calculated on co2 emissions but motor tax on pre 2008 is based on cc. You should be paying €1809 to tax it.

He's not the op with the R32!?

Why he answered your question to the op i don't know :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

ION08 wrote: »
    Motortax is complete extortion in this country.

People with identical 07 / 08 cars on two siginificantly different rates even though their cars could be IDENTICAL

People with 1.3 rotary engines getting shafted at a 1.8 tax rate just because the Government feels like doing so.

The motortax system here is total exploitation of your average motorist yet you should somehow feel guilty as a result of a clerical error somwhere that didn't even involve you in any way which results in you now having to pay what is still a relatively expensive rate of €636 as opposed to an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD rate of €1,809???

F***k 'em I say!!!!

Couldn't you have posted this in one of the several thousand other "motor tax is extortion" threads?

But mine is a 2008 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Tax it for the year sure. There isn't going to be a person here who wouldn't

But mine is a 2008 model.

Your audi?? .... Were talking about the r32 here!!

porsche959 wrote: »
    Couldn't you have posted this in one of the several thousand other "motor tax is extortion" threads?

No, because my response is directly addressed to this OP. See how that works?

ION08 wrote: »
    He's not the op with the R32!?

Why he answered your question to the op i don't know :confused:

Lol, didn't spot that.

Lol, didn't spot that.

Now I follow, my bad.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Tax it for the year sure. There isn't going to be a person here who wouldn't

Id tax it for 2 if i could :D

Advertisement