Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best sci-fi star ships.

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I have to admit I loved the realism of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica ships especially in the battle scenes and of course the Vipers.
    Anyone like Sci-fi ships?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Doom wrote: »
    I have to admit I loved the realism of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica ships especially in the battle scenes and of course the Vipers.
    Anyone like Sci-fi ships?

Iain M Banks Culture ships FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Falcon and X Wing are iconic. But yeah those viper look awesome.

A lot of scfi ships look great due to cgi etc but the actual design is often rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i always loved the Excalibur, from the Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade:

excalibur_zps7ed66265.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had one of these when I was kid - loved it!

buck_rogers_ship.jpg

Now I'd just like a Wilma Deering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Either The Culture ships because of their personalities and ability to utilise avatars, or Barbarella's ship because it's so cute and furry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Babylon 5 White Star : Product of Vorlon tech and with an adaptive skin which learns, adapts and improves.

Love the Buck Rogers Ship! I had the small Corgi one of it. Check out this lego one. Remember the Hawk ship in the spin off?

I always thought theres a lot of rubbish ship design in Movies. You have to move to games and concept art to get really cool ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id say Culture aswell as my favourite ships and sci-fi novels except I dont know what they look like! I always picture huge black ovals with maybe pockets of vegetation in domes on the hull, weapons and engines etc are all hidden. Is there any good artwork for them? Something that Banks agreed with? In later books their combat vessels used to break up into swarms huge distances across.

As I dont know what a culture ship looks like it it'll have to be good old Enterprise 1701-D, love the look of Voyager aswell I just hate the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

For more compact ships I love the Normandy from Mass Effect, it just seemed really slick and fast and it felt like going home after a mission, theres a really nice model of it in Forbidden Planet for €35 the other day and I very nearly had it bought but my bus pulled in outside and I had to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Enterprise E for me

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Romulan D'deridex class from TNG plus most of the stuff from Babylon 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Wow.....

293591.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Amazed it hasn't been mentioned yet but I loved the realism in the design of the Firefly ship Serenity.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 The BG WIS band

Always liked the look of the ship from 'Andromeda'

Also, why are spaceships streamlined?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would it minimise the risk of running into lumps of interstellar rock? I guess a lot of them can fly within an atmosphere too.

The Borg aren't too bothered about it. :p

Sleepy wrote: »
    Amazed it hasn't been mentioned yet but I loved the realism in the design of the Firefly ship Serenity.

Like the show. But the ship no so much.
    Always liked the look of the ship from 'Andromeda'

From the link
    I think that after the 1950s and 60s, after we had some actual experience in space, futurist-minded engineers began to dream big and realize that when things were constructed IN space, terrestrial engineering rules no longer applied.

To be pretty I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Gideon drive space ships from Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Instantaneous travel across the galaxy but the inertia kills the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

What a brilliant thread.

The Shadows / Earth Destroyer combinations always scared the pants off me - in fact the Shadow vessels just full stop are one the scariest things I have ever seen. (Babylon 5)

he ships from Battlestar Galatica - especially BSG herself - all battered and bruised and heading to the sun at the end of the series. In fact many of the ships in BSG are referenced from other sci fi films as a homage.

I just love all sci-fi spaceships no matter what the program, but I have to admit that some of my favorite space ships graced the covers of Issac Asimov books from my childhood.

These were drawn by Chris Foss and I am lucky enough to own a portfolio book with some of his drawings.

If you want a look for yourself at his paintings

Google search here

Artist website here
    (And no I didn't know he did the drawings for that book either!)

Hope you enjoy these as much as I do

I forgot about Chris Foss. I'd have to agree with you there, those paintings fueled my imagination for years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Has to be these two for me:

10.jpg

cygnus_1.jpg

I was watching the Black Hole recently its on TV Now. Creepier than I remember.

http://www.therpf.com/f45/black-hole-robot-party-103593/index2.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll have to go with WH40k Imperial; they are less ships and more flying churches!

The_Divine_Right.jpg

btec2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The most ass-kicking spaceship in both universes.
    lexx.jpg
    For smaller stuff there was always a functional beauty to the Falcon Lander.
    space-1999-eagle%2Btransporter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Has to be the Falcon. The fastest heap of sh1t in the galaxy flown by a loveable rogue, it doesn't get any better. That super sleek silver jobbie robbed by Zaphod Beeblebrooks would be next in line for me. What was it called again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Boskowski wrote: »
    Has to be the Falcon. The fastest heap of sh1t in the galaxy flown by a loveable rogue, it doesn't get any better. That super sleek silver jobbie robbed by Zaphod Beeblebrooks would be next in line for me. What was it called again?

Heart of Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dakkon

The ship in Event Horizon was really cool looking, not that I would want to actually be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Starbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was just about to post Red Dwarf & Starbug too! I think it'd be fun to be either.

I also liked the Elysium from Pandorum. Was really impressed that they had dynamos in case of power failure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

old hippy wrote: »
    Heart of Gold

Ye must have been some other ship I was thinking of then. The Heart of Gold is just a big ball. :o

Must have been the Naboo Royal Starship. naboo+royal+starship.jpg

Advertisement