Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda college

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ftm

Does anyone know of an exemptions for staying during the training period? Go home in the evenings? My partners sister did her training there and said they made provisions for mothers that they could go home in the evenings??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

stargazer9 wrote: »
    Exactly! I just assumed that the accommodation would be the same as any other college residences. I've lived on campus in DCU and the apartments consisted of 5 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, and then a kitchen/sitting room area. It wasn't fancy or anything, but it was functional.
    I see guards in chippers and drive thru McDonalds and KFC all the time, and I always wonder why they flock to these places. I think if they had their own cooking facilities at templemore it would start them on the right track of preparing their own food, and they would rely less on takeaway junk.

Your right

i was aghast at the level of fastfood in stations when i joined

but i realised why very quickly

most gards have to eat on the hoof, they do be so busy!! Fastfood is just that, fast and convenient. Plus on a late/night shift - theres very few places open.

Be a rare thing for us to get break on a late/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I haven't read all of this thread so apologies if my question has been covered all ready. Is it mostly made up of lecture halls in the college or is it classrooms or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Aiel wrote: »
    I haven't read all of this thread so apologies if my question has been covered all ready. Is it mostly made up of lecture halls in the college or is it classrooms or both?

Both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I'm not looking for avocado or Merlot, chillax the cacks.
    I just prefer to live in a place with cooking facilities, mostly because I like to eat healthy food that I've made myself instead of eating processed muck from a canteen.
    I think health and fitness is important for guards, so student guards should be encouraged to eat healthy food and to avoid junk eating.
    I also don't see any link between wanting to have cooking facilities, and not deserving a place in this recruitment drive. Or maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps the assessments, interviews and medical/fitness test should be done away with, and the places should be awarded to people who can make a bed out of twigs and wipe their hole with a doc leaf. They're sure to be the type of people who will be amazing guards.

We are only having a bit of fun with you. I really can't agree with you as regards the showering facilities because the nature of the buildings here is that they were converted from an army block and not like the modern student accommodation.
    However I do agree as regards standard of food. While it really is not practical to have individual cooking facilities there is no need for the stodge that is given up for evening meals. It seems too much like "feed them quick and lets get home". There is no reason why good caterers cannot supply a wide variety of nutritious healthy meals. They are getting paid after all.

As regards in the station it's all well and good thinking that you will eat healthy but when the shift work system hits you at 2am a nice fish and chips is far more attractive than a salad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

I didn't realise the college was an army barracks before. I suppose they were limited with what they could do with the place.
    If I'm lucky enough to get in, I think I'll bring a small fridge and microwave with me! I'll do my bulk cooking at home at the weekends, freeze individual portions and just blast in the microwave as needed. This tends to be what I do wherever I've worked over the years anyway.
    Now I just have to get my head around going down a corridor in my pjs if I need a pee in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I didn't realise the college was an army barracks before. I suppose they were limited with what they could do with the place.
    If I'm lucky enough to get in, I think I'll bring a small fridge and microwave with me! I'll do my bulk cooking at home at the weekends, freeze individual portions and just blast in the microwave as needed. This tends to be what I do wherever I've worked over the years anyway.
    Now I just have to get my head around going down a corridor in my pjs if I need a pee in the middle of the night.

There's a sink....

Hahahaha :D I kid! I kid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

At least they give you a room to yourself. I remember being in the fca and having to sleep in dorms with about 20 lads. Great craic when you are young but not so much when get that bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

That'll be one noisey room. Wouldn't like to be studying next door. Its only 8 months anyway, imagine having to go on like that for 2 years on and off

thekopend wrote: »
    That'll be one noisey room. Wouldn't like to be studying next door. Its only 8 months anyway, imagine having to go on like that for 2 years on and off

It's a microwave and fridge not a ghetto blaster. Would actually bring a mini fridge myself if I get the chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

What happens if you sleep in your nip??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

billie1b wrote: »
    What happens if you sleep in your nip??

Dressing gown.

I thought prospective guards would be better lateral thinkers!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

endacl wrote: »
    Dressing gown.

I thought prospective guards would be better lateral thinkers!

Would be the obvious answer but I don't own one

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

A mini fridge and microwave are not allowed in the rooms and you'd have a hard time hiding them during room inspection. I'm sure some lads have tried it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

For god's sake it's only 6 months of your life your making out that your going to Syria on peacekeeping mission with the DF

Toughen up or don't bother in my opinion. Iv been told the food is grand, canteen food but it can't be as unhealthy as what will have to be put up with sometimes when on the job(unhealthy convenience food, on night shifts 2:30 can be dinner time) and no chance to cook or go back to station. Far cry from healthy food, esp picky appetites will be upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    There's a sink....

Hahahaha :D I kid! I kid!!!

Eew rotten! That kind of thing is easier for men. We ladies are anatomically unsuitable for that sort of carry on!
    Note to self: if accepted to Garda college, bring extra large bottle of bleach and pour down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Eew rotten! That kind of thing is easier for men. We ladies are anatomically unsuitable for that sort of carry on!
    Note to self: if accepted to Garda college, bring extra large bottle of bleach and pour down the sink.

I have a funnel if it's any use.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

empacher wrote: »
    I have a funnel if it's any use.

I have a galavanised bucket that I had for feeding the calves. If I get in to Templemore I won't need it anymore. I will bring it on and give it to the first female trainee I see. We can go to her room and check it for size.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Regardless of food and accommodation concerns ye will have a blast when ye get there. You'll make some of the best friends you'll ever have there. Good luck to ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Hey guys, can anyone say what a day in templemore is like.

I.E up at 08:00 breakfast at 08:30 PT at 09:00 ect ect

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

standtwo wrote: »

10am start for brekkie

classes till 11

elevenses

lunch 12.30 to 2pm

classes

fin at 3

I'd be interested in reading about this too

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Scouser wrote: »
    10am start for brekkie

classes till 11

elevenses

lunch 12.30 to 2pm

classes

fin at 3

Ahhh, if only :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

• Registered Users Posts: 33 standtwo

Cheers really helpful. Wonder if it will change much for this shorter intake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Cheers really helpful. Wonder if it will change much for this shorter intake

No worries ! Good question, one thing for sure is there will be a lot less bodies floating around the college !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

No worries ! Good question, one thing for sure is there will be a lot less bodies floating around the college !

Out of interest. How many bodies would have been floating around during a normal year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭audidiesel

Out of interest. How many bodies would have been floating around during a normal year?

when I was there we were in a group of about 300 or so. there would always be a group of phase ones, a group of phase threes with the occasional group of phase fives.

the college would generally have 600-900 students at any given time throughout the year when it was really busy between 2005-2008.

• Advertisement

audidiesel wrote: »
    when I was there we were in a group of about 300 or so. there would always be a group of phase ones, a group of phase threes with the occasional group of phase fives.

the college would generally have 600-900 students at any given time throughout the year when it was really busy between 2005-2008.

Those were the days sure

Advertisement