Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cad é an Gaeilge atá ar...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scattered Battered

Basically I'm trying to say "I wanted/hoped you were wrong/incorrect". The best I can come up with is "Bhí mé ag dúil gurbh dul amú ort". But I was wondering if it was possible to swap "Bhí mé ag dúil" for "theastaigh uaim" and, if so, how would one complete the sentence in that case? As "Theastaigh uaim gurbh dul amú ort" just doesn't sound right for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Excellent. Is there any rule/pattern/guideline one can extrapolate from that? More precisely, if I can say 'D'inis sí dom', 'Dúirt siad liom" etc, why can't the verb 'spreag' begin the sentence rather than 'Thug'?
    You can of course start the sentence with spreag.
    Spreag sí ... spreag and direct object pronoun
    or
    Thug sí spreagadh dom ... thug and indirect object pronoun dom

Basically I'm trying to say "I wanted/hoped you were wrong/incorrect". The best I can come up with is "Bhí mé ag dúil gurbh dul amú ort". But I was wondering if it was possible to swap "Bhí mé ag dúil" for "theastaigh uaim" and, if so, how would one complete the sentence in that case? As "Theastaigh uaim gurbh dul amú ort" just doesn't sound right for some reason.

Well, to begin with there is a big difference between "wanted" and "hoped".

So first of all get that right: the verb you need here in English is, I think, hope.
    I hope = tá súil agam
    I hoped = bhí súil agam

So I'd say:
    Bhí súil agam go raibh dul amú ort.
    or
    Bhí súil agam nach raibh an ceart agat.

To my mind, theastaigh ... uaim means I wanted
    while bhí mé ag dúil le means I was looking forward to.

That said, context is important, and I am sure that you will find other nuances to the meaning in other contexts.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

Thanks everybody!

If someone could also tell me whether or not this has mistakes, that'd be great too :o

I want to say "I would love to visit" or "I would visit" New York. I'm not sure if it's just Nua-Eabhrac or if it's An Nua-Eabhrac.

"B'aoibheann liom Nua Eabhrac a fheiceáil"?
    "B'aoibheann liom thabhairfainn cuairt ar Nua Eabhrac"?

Or is "Thaistileoinn Nua Eabhrac" a bit neater to use if you're not great at sentence structure?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"B'aoibheann liom thabhairfainn cuairt ar Nua Eabhrac"?

B'aoibheann liom cuairt a thabhairt ar Nua Eabhrac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

An File wrote: »
    B'aoibheann liom cuairt a thabhairt ar Nua Eabhrac.

Yeah, dealraíonn sin níos maithe.

It's just that I was looking at a website that has:

Rachainn, cinnte. Rachainn ar thuras timpeall an domhain. Thaistileoinn timpeall na hÁise ar feadh sé mhí nó mar sin agus ansin thabharfainn cuairt ar Mheiriceá Theas. D’fhanfainn ansin ar feadh sé mhí eile agus d’fhoghlaimeoinn roinnt Spáinnise

Is "thabharfainn cuairt ar..." correct there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"Thabharfainn cuairt [ar]" means "I would visit".

"Ba mhaith liom cuairt a thabhairt" means "I would like to pay a visit".

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ExiledMike

Hey everyone!

How would you say 'Corrections are welcome' (or 'I welcome any corrections') as gaeilge? I find it's a useful phrase to have when posting things in a new language. :)

Míle buíochas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Fáilte roimh cheartúcháin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

:eek:

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I've a recurring grammar question. When two nouns come together, the second noun goes in the genitive. When a noun is followed by an adjective the adjective gets a seimhiú if the noun is feminine - e.g. bean mhaith; fear maith.

My understanding of an adjective is that it describes or qualifies a noun. I know leabhar is a noun as is gramadach, but why does 'gramadach' not work as an adjective when it's describing the type of book, leabhar gramadach, rather than leabhar gramadaí?

PS: For the noun 'grammar' Focal.ie has 'graiméar' (of book) and 'gramadach' (of science). What's the difference between both? Should it be Leabhar Graiméir?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

I used to see the abbreviation FRC used after posts in Irish once upon a time - I used to put it under messages also.

This indicated that the poster welcomed corrections to any mistakes he or she might have made.

However, I don't see it used anymore. Of course there is virtually no posting in Irish on forums unfortunately.

Míshásta wrote: »
    However, I don't see it used anymore. Of course there is virtually no posting in Irish on forums unfortunately.

Facebook and Twitter have taken over. All the Gaeilge forums I know of are sadly quiet!

I've a recurring grammar question. When two nouns come together, the second noun goes in the genitive. When a noun is followed by an adjective the adjective gets a seimhiú if the noun is feminine - e.g. bean mhaith; fear maith.

My understanding of an adjective is that it describes or qualifies a noun. I know leabhar is a noun as is gramadach, but why does 'gramadach' not work as an adjective when it's describing the type of book, leabhar gramadach, rather than leabhar gramadaí?

PS: For the noun 'grammar' Focal.ie has 'graiméar' (of book) and 'gramadach' (of science). What's the difference between both? Should it be Leabhar Graiméir?

Although I have reasonable Irish (I hope :) ) - I'm not too good at the gramadach.

However, I think "leabhar gramadach" is not correct - where did you come across it?

"leabhair graiméir" is an unnecessary usage of two words where one would suffice. "Grammar book" is simply "graiméar".

Irish is more specific than English in this case, having a separate word for the 'subject' and 'the book about the subject'

Is mar sin mar a thuigimse an scéal ar aon nós.

Yeah, dealraíonn sin níos maithe.

níos fearr

Míshásta wrote: »
    Although I have reasonable Irish (I hope :) ) - I'm not too good at the gramadach.

However, I think "leabhar gramadach" is not correct - where did you come across it?

"leabhair graiméir" is an unnecessary usage of two words where one would suffice. "Grammar book" is simply "graiméar".

Irish is more specific than English in this case, having a separate word for the 'subject' and 'the book about the subject'

Is mar sin mar a thuigimse an scéal ar aon nós.

Thanks; never knew a grammar book was simply 'graiméar'. I've never seen "leabhar gramadach" either - always leabhar gramadaí. But on further searching I think the answer to my question is simply that it's not only adjectives which modify nouns and in the case of 'leabhar gramadaí' we have a compound noun with the second noun modifying the first and therefore because there are two nouns together the second is in the genitive. I think! (corrections welcome). In English a noun can work as an adjective - e.g. mountain in 'mountain bike' - I just am not sure if the same applies in Irish, or when it applies.

Gáirdín Cuimhneacháin an Gharda Síochána (Garda Síochána memorial gardens)

Gáirdín Cuimhneacháin = two nouns together (gáirdín & cuimhneachán, with the latter put in genitive, cuimhneacháin)?

an Gharda Síochána = of the Garda Síochána (genitive case)

"An" indicates that the noun following is masculine, and that 'Garda Síochána' is therefore masculine. So my next question is: does the first word in a compound noun (Garda Síochána?) always determine the gender of the whole compound noun? (i.e. Garda is masculine and Síocháin is feminine but if the above sentence is in the genitive case 'Garda Síochána' seems to be masculine)?

Anybody throw light on the pattern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Scattered Battered

So for years I assumed that "An Coláiste Ollscoile, Baile Átha Cliath" was how you said "UCD" in Irish as it was written in many official UCD documents, and various Irish language websites so have been saying "D'fhreastail mé ar Choláiste Ollscoile Bhaile Átha Cliath". But recently I've had a few more fluent Irish speakers correct me saying that UCD is "Ollscoil Bhaile Átha Cliath" and didn't explain why the Coláiste bit was dropped.

And so, now I'm confused as to which is correct: "D'fhreastail mé ar Choláiste Ollscoile Bhaile Átha Cliath" or "D'fhreastail mé ar Ollscoil Bhaile Átha Cliath"?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

UCD has always been (An) Coláiste Ollscoile Baile Átha Cliath (COBÁC). Without "coláiste", it could be confused with the TCD, which is known in English (albeit not commonly) as "University of Dublin". "University of Dublin" is "Ollscoil Baile Átha Cliath".

I'm open for correction, but that would be my take on the reason why "coláiste" is always included when referring to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

"To be honest..."
    "I like most music genres".
    "I'm glad to hear it".

And most importantly how do I say "I have (song name) stuck in my head"?

Go raibh maith agaibh!

In Cork Irish (my version of it at least):

To be honest: chun na fírínne ' reá dhuit
    I like most music genres: gach aon tsaghas ceóil, is maith liom iad uile, nú geall leis
    I'm glad to hear it: cuireann sé áthas orm é an méid sin d'aireachtaint
    I have a song name stuck in my head: tá ainm amhráin éigint sáite istigh im cheann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lashofeye

Hi all, this is for a memorial card and not 100% sure how to translate into Gaeilge???
    Tia :)

Dad, Loving, Kind and Intelligent.
    He is with Jet again.

(jet is my mom )

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

lashofeye wrote: »
    Hi all, this is for a memorial card and not 100% sure how to translate into Gaeilge???
    Tia :)

Dad, Loving, Kind and Intelligent.
    He is with Jet again.

(jet is my mom )

Daid, Grách, Cineálta agus Éirimiúil.
    Tá sé in éineacht le Jet arís.

An bhfuil aon mholtaí agaibh do "First the man takes the drink, and then the drink takes the man"

"Ar dtús, tógann an fear an deoch, agus ansin tógann an deoch an fear"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

B'fhéidir,

I dtús tugtar an t-ól don fhear ach i ndeireadh tá an fear tugtha don ól.

Anybody got a a few decent options as an Irish version for the forename Graham? Pól Ó Gréacháin was Paul Graham in Irish. Gréachán = shrieking child?

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the meaning of the English forename Graham. "Grey home"? Could it have been used in Ireland for old names which it had no connection with, just as the English Anne was used for the Old Irish Áine, and Charles was similarly used for the Old Irish Cathal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Anybody got a a few decent options as an Irish version for the forename Graham? Pól Ó Gréacháin was Paul Graham in Irish. Gréachán = shrieking child?

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the meaning of the English forename Graham. "Grey home"? Could it have been used in Ireland for old names which it had no connection with, just as the English Anne was used for the Old Irish Áine, and Charles was similarly used for the Old Irish Cathal?

From Woulfe (1923)
    Ó GREIDHM—I—O Gryhme, O Grame, Grimes, Graeme, Graham; undoubtedly a Munster corruption of Ó Gréacháin, which see.

Ó GRÉACHÁIN—I—O Greghane, O Greaghan, O Grahin, O Gryhen, O Gryhme, O Grame, Greaghan, Greahan, Grehan, Gregan, Greyhan, Grayhan, Greaham, Greham, Graham, Greame, Graeme, Grame, Greames, Grimes; 'descendant of Créachán' (diminutive of créach, blind); a variant of Ó Créacháin (which see) owing to the softening of the initial C to G. It is undoubtedly the name which has been corrupted to Ó Greidhm (which see) in Munster.

Ó CREACHÁIN, Ó CRÉACHÁIN—I—O Creghan, Creaghan, Crehan, (Creaton), Crean; 'descendant of Creachán' (diminutive of creach, or créach, blind); sometimes corrupted to Ó Gréacháin; the name of a branch of the Ui Fiachrach who were formerly seated in Tirawley, Co. Mayo. See Ó Críocháin.

---
    Mac GIOLLA MHEARNÓG—IV—M'Gillavearnoge, Warnock; 'son of Giolla Mhearnóg' (servant of St. Mearnog); an old Co. Down surname, now shortened to Mac Mhearnóg, which see; also in use in Scotland, where it is Englished Graham.

I've never heard that it was. It's use in Ireland as a surname would often be as a "translation" of some native surname, just like Ó Brolcháin was turned into Bradley.
    The reason Anne and other similar names were translated was usually because they were Biblical names, and versions grew up in all languages spoken by Christians, but this didn't generally happen with English personal names.

Aodhán. Technically, should the 'd' be pronounced, as in Aodhán Mac Gearailt, the Kerry footballer, or unpronounced, as in Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, the Dublin politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Aodhán. Technically, should the 'd' be pronounced, as in Aodhán Mac Gearailt, the Kerry footballer, or unpronounced, as in Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, the Dublin politician?

I was under the impression that word internal -dh- and -gh- was lost in Late Modern Irish. Thence reduction of Ruaidhrí -> Ruairí or Ordhan -> Oran (etc.)

I always just pronononunce "Aodh" and then add "-án"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

You are right about the loss of medial gh/dh Dubhthach, but Aodhán is an exception to this process in Connacht, becoming Aodán, with the medial gh/dh undergoing delenition rather than elision.

In Munster it was also delenited, but because dh is identical in pronunciation to gh there can be ambiguity as to whether something gets delenited to g or d, so in Munster in became Aogán.

In Ulster in general it became Ao-án as you said.

Advertisement