Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GK198 Car DVR Dash-Cam With Night-Vision - €14.42 Delivered [Geekbuying]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I got one in may 2012 and it's been fine, although the quality isn't that great (you won't be making out too many numberplates), it's cheap and it does the job.

I actually uploaded a video at the time comparing it to my HTC Desire HD @720p.

it will start and stop with your ignition (about 8 seconds from power on to recording) as long as your cig lighter socket doesn't stay powered when you take out the keys and you can set it to delay powering off after you park if you want.

it takes a standard removable mobile phone battery for extended recording after power off, but the battery isn't great quality, so it will wear out eventually, but I think it's the same one that was in the old nokia 6230i, so easy to replace, but i can double check that.

it does do loop recording (i.e. it will overwrite old files once the card gets full), but it needs a small amount of free space to do that and sooner or later your file sizes will be so close to the limit of your card that it won't have enough free space to create a new file and you'll have to format your card.

it says it takes up to a 32gb SD (note, not microSD), but I found it a little fussy with the cheaper big SD cards (smaller 4-8gb ones were all fine, even el cheapo microSD in SD adapters worked perfectly) of 16-32gb you can get online (i.e. 7dayshop own brand 32gb) so i ended up getting a sandisk one in the end and it worked perfectly and still does.

i have a mobius action cam now in the front, but still use this pointed out of the back. i've never bothered to remove it from the car and not had any issues around dublin with it, but it is easy to remove with a single camera tripod type screw in it and just leave the suction mount there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Exce11ent

Hi all,

Can anyone discover where the reset button is on this dash cam??

It's mentioned at the very end of the instruction manual, but for the life of me I can't find it on the dash-cam?

(Menu won't appear on the screen - have powered on/off, removed battery, etc. but no joy).

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Letter from revenue today looking for the receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Doylers wrote: »
    Letter from revenue today looking for the receipt

Mind arrived Tuesday, only getting a chance to look at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Got mine few days ago, the menu is infuriating, but works perfectly well, on roads with no street lights you see hardly anything though one of my headlight bulbs is out so that was helping.

Have yet to look at the video on a PC to see the real quality of it. Happy enough for the price.

It's actually smaller than I thought it would be too

• Advertisement

Hi Etnies,

Did yours work straight out of the box without an SD card?

I can't get menu to display on screen.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

It turns on without the sd card. The screen tells you that there is no card inserted when you turn it on.

Thanks Proco.

Obviously I got a dud - when I power on, all I get is a blank screen, even pressing Menu, mode, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

It does turn on but acts strangely without a SD card in, I presume it uses it as memory or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

Its a cheap crap, Mine arrived last week
    Camera may be ok, didn't get chance to test it as suction cup fell & broke in fist attempt
    suction cup v cheap quality, cannot stick on its own let alone sticking with camera
    Tried my GPS suction cup but it is different size
    if anyone know any link to replace its suction cup, let me know pls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Farnsworth wrote: »
    Its a cheap crap, Mine arrived last week
    Camera may be ok, didn't get chance to test it as suction cup fell & broke in fist attempt
    suction cup v cheap quality, cannot stick on its own let alone sticking with camera
    Tried my GPS suction cup but it is different size
    if anyone know any link to replace its suction cup, let me know pls

My little camera is ok, the suction thing is fine on it, not sure about replacements, but would http://www.tmart.com/Mini-Camera-Suction-Mount-Tripod-Holder-for-Car-Window_p127988.html be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

My little camera is ok, the suction thing is fine on it, not sure about replacements, but would http://www.tmart.com/Mini-Camera-Suction-Mount-Tripod-Holder-for-Car-Window_p127988.html be any good?
    Thanks, this one ships from UK so less waiting time

Looks familiar, from the irish indo

297628.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Bought one! Thanks

€12 in customs and fees by the nice revenue people. They really arent letting through these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Looks familiar, from the irish indo

€49.95 there, only €37 here - http://www.grabonestore.ie/car-dvr-3 :p

€12 in customs and fees by the nice revenue people. They really arent letting through these days

I got a letter from revenue aswell but I sent on the receipt from paypal and had no chargers at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I got a letter from revenue aswell but I sent on the receipt from paypal and had no chargers at all :confused:

+1, it's under €23 so should be no charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mqq

It is uesful for me ,i consider buying one like that,ths!

Advertisement