Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diatomaceous Earth

Options
  • 01-02-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

This is just FYI - for those of you who are not familiar with Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as just Diatom) check it out on the hundreds of sites that sell it - there is an organic feeds co here in Ireland that I get it from (they post it) - Ive been using it in my hens coops to get rid/keep red mite away, and am trying to decide now if I can use it as a wormer for my dogs - here are the benefits listed from a website that I just checked randomly (it comes in human grade as well as for animals) :

Benefits for Animals:

• · A natural wormer without the risks associated with strong pesticides.
    • · Eliminates a variety of parasites.
    • · Rich in minerals that are beneficial for animal’s bodily functions.
    • · Helps to rid toxic metal build up from the body.
    • · Increases appetite and protein digestion while safeguarding the animal’s stomach.
    • · Reduces Odours.
    • · Reduces flies and pests.
    • · Examples of benefits on specific animals:
    o Increase in cow milk production by 25%
    o Stops Hogs from chewing wooden troughs

Other Benefits:
    • · Prevents clumping of the feed particles improving the mixing and handling processes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That's supposed to work alright. Just make sure it's food grade, and put a teaspoon a day into the feed for a month. While you're at it, sprinkle it around the dog's bedding and if necessary his coat, and it'll get rid of most insects such as fleas etc.

Just for your own safety, wear a face mask when you're using it dry as it is quite dangerous to your lungs if you breathe it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Absolutely great for external use, have been using it for a while. Tried using it internally, got a lungful, nd decided that if it destroys by breaking down parasite, what does it do with everything else it comes into contact with... try giving dogs regular garlic. All my animals get it nd it also boosts immune system! 1 clove for spaniel sized dog, more or less according to the breed. 3 days on 4 days off. Should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Tattycat, I always use garlic in my hens drinking water - for its anti-bacterial properties, and agree that its good for immune systems. Im not sure I would rely on garlic alone for worms though ... I know what you are saying about Diatom's effects on breaking down parasites and what it does to everything it comes into contact with - Im hoping it keeps the dreaded Red Mite away from my hens coops this summer - and havent taken the plunge to use it on my dogs internally yet

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Hiya Aonb. It works well for red mite, both on the birds nd in the coop.
    Re garlic for worms in dogs, if you get a dose of vet med then follow with regular doses of garlic. Also carrot nd cabbage. I make flour nd honey balls with garlic, cayenne nd mustard seeds for them. Followed by a laxative to help push them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The food grade Diatom is entirely safe for animal internal consumption. The issue about the lungs comes from the fact that the dry powder is very light and can become air-borne easily. So safeguard against that-then no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement