Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JDM Jack wrote: »
    I'm getting insured under my mothers name BUT it will still be my car, as she has one under my father and he has own under his company. The budget isn't anything high, I'm not looking to get my dream car as a first car but I made this thread to see if there were any 'inbetween' cars, but I think I'll stick with the TDI's after all.

I mean I've got quotes for Miata's at 1600 and Altezza's at 1800 but that's too much for car that will already have high costs in fuel efficiency and road tax.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts (except mickdw who jumped to a stereotype), helped me make up my mind! :)

Well I suggested a factory spec A4. I didn't tell you to buy a toy of a car because you are young.
    You said you will do what suits you - slammed or not. Im hardly jumping to conclusions at all when you consider this and your dislike for my posts.
    The fact that you come on here saying that you will be making a false declaration to your insurers only confirms my opinion.
    Just a word of advice. Don't put your life savings into it as the insurers won't be paying out if you have a claim for own damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

All the street-cred you could ever want can be garnered by fitting a simple pair of eyelashes on your head-lights.

SNF2234Z-682_1130256a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

All the street-cred you could ever want can be garnered by fitting a simple pair of eyelashes on your head-lights.

Forgot the bumper mustache :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Sobanek wrote: »
    You know there is a high possibility that if you crash your car (hopefully not) your insurance will be void if they find out it's your car?

I don't think a 30+ year old mother would have an A4 TDI with plenty of mods ;) Just a heads up.

How would they find out that the OP is the main driver if he was in a crash (god forbid) if say, the car wasn't molested and he was living at home. Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

How would they find out that the OP is the main driver if he was in a crash (god forbid) if say, the car wasn't molested and he was living at home. Just wondering.

This is what I thought too.
    How would the insurance company prove otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is what I thought too.
    How would the insurance company prove otherwise?

In the case of someone living with parents, keeping their nose clean and not turning the car into a modified mess, insurer might not immediately be able to prove who the main driver was. Because of this, they in many cases load the premium anyway as they Just assume the young person is the main driver so they have their cash anyway. If they can prove it at time of an accident all the better for the insurer.
    You wouldn't believe how silly some people can be though. People have been known to register car in own name and try to insure in parents name. Also I know of a guy who was insured in Fathers name but was paying the insurance from his own bank account. This same guy made a claim and when a letter came back saying that they were in investigating the circumstances of his driving the car and would be withdrawing all cover should it be found that he was the main driver, he withdrew the claim and changed companies shortly after.
    I also know if a guy who was the same name as his father. Car was bought by young guy. Insured by Old guy but when a claim arose, the father had no idea what he was supposed to be saying to insurers so he gave the game away. He would pretend to be young guy and then get muddled over whether he owned it. Comedy gold. .

mickdw wrote: »
    In the case of someone living with parents, keeping their nose clean and not turning the car into a modified mess, insurer might not immediately be able to prove who the main driver was. Because of this, they in many cases load the premium anyway as they Just assume the young person is the main driver so they have their cash anyway. If they can prove it at time of an accident all the better for the insurer.
    You wouldn't believe how silly some people can be though. People have been known to register car in own name and try to insure in parents name. Also I know of a guy who was insured in Fathers name but was paying the insurance from his own bank account. This same guy made a claim and when a letter came back saying that they were in investigating the circumstances of his driving the car and would be withdrawing all cover should it be found that he was the main driver, he withdrew the claim and changed companies shortly after.
    I also know if a guy who was the same name as his father. Car was bought by young guy. Insured by Old guy but when a claim arose, the father had no idea what he was supposed to be saying to insurers so he gave the game away. He would pretend to be young guy and then get muddled over whether he owned it. Comedy gold. .

In fairness they all sound stupid enough.
    It will be ok as long as the car is in the mothers name, the op is named on her insurance and the car where the mother lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

In fairness they all sound stupid enough.
    It will be ok as long as the car is in the mothers name, the op is named on her insurance and the car where the mother lives.

Except if she has two seperate policy's on two seperate cars with her as main driver on both/son as named driver on one car. Insurance companies aren't stupid you know.

EazyD wrote: »
    Except if she has two seperate policy's on two seperate cars with her as main driver on both/son as named driver on one car. Insurance companies aren't stupid you know.

Except she doesn't have a policy out on her own name. I'll also have the car insured with her for at least a year prior to going name driver, not fully sure if that will help but if it's obvious to me that a mother and son policy is being taken out at the same time then it should be to them too. Anyway, as I said, this thread was about the car aspect.

JDM Jack wrote: »
    I'm getting insured under my mothers name BUT it will still be my car, as she has one under my father and he has own under his company. The budget isn't anything high, I'm not looking to get my dream car as a first car but I made this thread to see if there were any 'inbetween' cars, but I think I'll stick with the TDI's after all.

I mean I've got quotes for Miata's at 1600 and Altezza's at 1800 but that's too much for car that will already have high costs in fuel efficiency and road tax.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts (except mickdw who jumped to a stereotype), helped me make up my mind! :)

To me the way this will be insured seems fine. I don't see a problem with the OP driving his mothers car.

• Advertisement

Hopefully this thread will die down but I do just wanna say that I'm not even at the buying stage of a car yet, that's why I was saying never mind insurance and things like that, I'll sort all that out in my time aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

stock-photo-gardening-smiling-man-with-hedge-clippers-scissors-108420560.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JdmRacer

Ya say ya love jap and want something to be insured on and has "street cred" how bout this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-vvti-fresh-nct/6372474

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0w8tbrgJz8rTEMGck_YMUbNYdf6kxpWKQKU3AITA1PvmaJ9bBkQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Stroke My Trout

with wheels and slam like that, that will be a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

JdmRacer wrote: »
    Ya say ya love jap and want something to be insured on and has "street cred" how bout this http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-vvti-fresh-nct/6372474

About 1000 euro overpriced. And the bollocks obviously driven out of it.

Advertisement