Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Senseo HD7863/80 £23 tesco direct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This offer seems to be finished now, the machine is no longer available on tesco direct:-(

I wonder would they still be available in stores in the north?
    That's why they can't send me a replacement. I asked to talk to a manager and they have now offered me £50 for a new one. Getting the delonghi nescafe one. Reviews are all good.

Seems they are not stocking the senseo anymore. Although the "error" they had on their system has now changed to delivered to the wrong address. Some dude "Hawthorne" has got himself a free coffee machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

foggy_lad wrote: »
    This offer seems to be finished now, the machine is no longer available on tesco direct:-(

I wonder would they still be available in stores in the north?
    That's why they can't send me a replacement. I asked to talk to a manager and they have now offered me £50 for a new one. Getting the delonghi nescafe one. Reviews are all good.

Seems they are not stocking the senseo anymore. Although the "error" they had on their system has now changed to delivered to the wrong address. Some dude "Hawthorne" has got himself a free coffee machine.

anybody getting a chemical / plastic taste from this model - the quadrante? seems to be a bit of a problem with newer machines.
    http://www.coffeedetective.com/senseo-supreme-vs-original-model.html

flush water through it and drink some of the water on it's own. it's pretty nasty and affects the taste of the coffee for sure. some recommend putting the plastic water tank through the dishwasher and I've done that and it's a bit less but not completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Received mine at the weekend but only set it up in the office today.

It made a delicious cup of coffee!!

Delighted with it.

Thanks OP :)

(No plastic/chemical taste at all! :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

keredern wrote: »

It made a delicious cup of coffee!!

What pods did you use keredern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

moonboy52 wrote: »
    What pods did you use keredern?

Just bought a Dowe Egberts 18 pod pack in Tescos today to test.

I went for the Dark version.

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257900590

I'll buy from discountcoffee.ie in the future though.

Probably these;

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/extreme-caffeine-senseo-62mm-coffee-pods-50-pack

(100 pack)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

glasso wrote: »
    anybody getting a chemical / plastic taste from this model - the quadrante? seems to be a bit of a problem with newer machines.
    http://www.coffeedetective.com/senseo-supreme-vs-original-model.html

flush water through it and drink some of the water on it's own. it's pretty nasty and affects the taste of the coffee for sure. some recommend putting the plastic water tank through the dishwasher and I've done that and it's a bit less but not completely gone.

You'd want to put the pod holder, collector and nozzle/spout through the dishwasher too and run a few descaling cycles without the descaler. I always put in fresh water at the start of the day as like a kettle the water container lightly contains bisphenol that builds up over time. I'd give the sealing ring a sniff, I've had to dump travel mugs and flasks because of the silicone seals in the past, no amount of boiling with salts and detergents would solve the stench and taste. The latest one was the orla kiely travel mug from kenco. I boiled the silicone lid with salt, washing up liquid, vanilla oil, lemon juice and I still can't put it within 6 inches of my face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

moodrater wrote: »
    You'd want to put the pod holder, collector and nozzle/spout through the dishwasher too and run a few descaling cycles without the descaler. I always put in fresh water at the start of the day as like a kettle the water container lightly contains bisphenol that builds up over time. I'd give the sealing ring a sniff, I've had to dump travel mugs and flasks because of the silicone seals in the past, no amount of boiling with salts and detergents would solve the stench and taste. The latest one was the orla kiely travel mug from kenco. I boiled the silicone lid with salt, washing up liquid, vanilla oil, lemon juice and I still can't put it within 6 inches of my face.
    I'm also using that mug, without the lid! Absolutely putrid smell from it. Do all the silicone lids from the porcelain mugs smell the same?

That silicone probably contains phtalates I imagine it should possible to get one that's phtalate/taste/smell free it would be stiffer like the senseos seal or a bottle teat.

I've put all removeable parts through the dishwasher. no change. I'm convinced that it's some internal part. basically if I flush the machine twice each time before making coffee the coffee is ok. but it's unacceptable to have to do that each time. seems to be that some internal part leaves a taste on the water. I use new water each time but it seems to store water internally also.

maybe for some reason doesn't affect every one made but it's definitely an issue - bad choice of plastic / synthetic rubber or something somewhere in it. searching on the net plenty of people have had an issue with it. I'm going to try to run a mixture of vinegar and water through it to see if it makes any diff. failing that will get on to phillips.

pity as when the nasty taste isn't there the coffe is good - especially the coffee that I got from discount coffee. got blue mountain, kenyan and sumatran. Kenyan imo is the best of those three.

• Advertisement

I've put all removeable parts through the dishwasher. no change. I'm convinced that it's some internal part. basically if I flush the machine twice each time before making coffee the coffee is ok. but it's unacceptable to have to do that each time. seems to be that some internal part leaves a taste on the water. I use new water each time but it seems to store water internally also.

maybe for some reason doesn't affect every one made but it's definitely an issue - bad choice of plastic / synthetic rubber or something somewhere in it. searching on the net plenty of people have had an issue with it. I'm going to try to run a mixture of vinegar and water through it to see if it makes any diff. failing that will get on to phillips.

pity as when the nasty taste isn't there the coffe is good - especially the coffee that I got from discount coffee. got blue mountain, kenyan and sumatran. Kenyan imo is the best of those three.

My machine is older I don't have that problem, on the german reviews one reviewer says it was the pump seal in his one. Now that I think of it the silicone seal was probably made from the same silicone they use for the philips avent bottle teats and is less likely to be a problem.

My machine is older I don't have that problem, on the german reviews one reviewer says it was the pump seal in his one. Now that I think of it the silicone seal was probably made from the same silicone they use for the philips avent bottle teats and is less likely to be a problem.

can you link to that review pls?

I ordered 2 machines and gave one to my folks - will see if that one also has the issue. it's a bloody nasty taste and effectively ruins the coffee. seems to be an issue in the model in the tesco offer (quadrante) particularly. the way to discover if you have it is to run water in a flush cycle through the machine and taste this water after - if it tastes nasty you have it... as I said I can avoid it if I flush the machine twice before making coffee but defeats the time-saving purpose of the thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

I ordered 2 machines and gave one to my folks - will see if that one also has the issue. it's a bloody nasty taste and effectively ruins the coffee. seems to be an issue in the model in the tesco offer (quadrante) particularly. the way to discover if you have it is to run water in a flush cycle through the machine and taste this water after - if it tastes nasty you have it... as I said I can avoid it if I flush the machine twice before making coffee but defeats the time-saving purpose of the thing...

Just checked my machine as you said, ran the water through and no problems, coffee also tastes perfect. Got my machine from Tesco direct last week

Not sure. If you search google.de as below you'll find loads of posts, lots of people report receiving several replacement machines with the same problem.

https://www.google.de/#q=senseo+%22Plastikgeschmack%22+OR+%22Plastik+schmeckt%22+OR+%22kunstoffgeschmack%22+OR+%22kustoff+schmeckt%22

Lots of suggestions its the chlorinated water. I have a 10" activated charcoal filter under my sink. Couple of suggestions of letting water and vinger in the tank and running it all through not sure about this as philips say only citric acid.

[edit] Found the review I misread it as the pump seal but its the head seal he's talking about ithink:
    http://www.amazon.de/forum/kaffee/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1X9YSVUPY6VFO&cdMsgID=Mx1TZJEQDMI47PU&cdMsgNo=119&cdPage=5&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1J14QKOF2VH1M#Mx1TZJEQDMI47PU

http://www.amazon.de/Dichtring-Br%C3%BChkammer-Senseo-normal-HD7810/dp/B001HK5D5E

is the head seal the thing at the top when you pop open the machine to put in a pod? not much that can be done about that. going through a painful discussion process with Phillips probably the only option...

is the head seal the thing at the top when you pop open the machine to put in a pod? not much that can be done about that. going through a painful discussion process with Phillips probably the only option...

You can buy the seals from the link I posted. Its not too bad to change: http://www.onderdelensenseo.nl/files/hd7863%2064.pdf

But it may not be that at all, could be internal hoses or the boiler itself. Your nose might be the best identifier. If the internal hoses are the source you can get food grade silicon hoses from home brew places.

You can buy the seals from the link I posted. Its not too bad to change: http://www.onderdelensenseo.nl/files/hd7863%2064.pdf

But it may not be that at all, could be internal hoses or the boiler itself. Your nose might be the best identifier. If the internal hoses are the source you can get food grade silicon hoses from home brew places.

think that I might try to get a replacement first... doubt that its the tap water but I'll try bottled water as a test...

Really pleased with the machine, having used it for two days. I got the dark roast from Tesco and use 2 pods which gives me two lovely mugs of coffee.

I do not notice any plastic tase from mine glasso, so i would certainly look for a replacement.

Now to order that beginner pod pack from discountcoffee.ie, and sample what is on offer

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/senseo-62mm-coffee-pods-sample-pack

Really pleased with the machine, having used it for two days. I got the dark roast from Tesco and use 2 pods which gives me two lovely mugs of coffee.

I do not notice any plastic tase from mine glasso, so i would certainly look for a replacement.

Now to order that beginner pod pack from discountcoffee.ie, and sample what is on offer

http://www.discountcoffee.ie/senseo-62mm-coffee-pods-sample-pack

my folks not reporting any taste so unless the tap water is the issue looks like I got a dodge one. are you in Dublin area? (from water point of view).

re discount coffee i have blue mountain, sumatran and kenyan from them. like Kenyan the best but all good. I had ordered extreme caffeine but they weren't going to have it until next week so gave me kenyan and sumatran instead. as a bonus they are individually wrapped to stay fresher, have manu date on them and produce better crema type effect than the egberts ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

and produce better crema type effect than the egberts ones.

That's good to know. I like the Egberts dark roast, but the crema is very very foamy

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    That's good to know. I like the Egberts dark roast, but the crema is very very foamy

well it's still foamy - just seems nicer. the crema from the senseo is fake crema, not real. to produce real crema the bar pressure needs to be 9 or so (like in a real espresso machine) the "crema" from the senseo is prouced at low pressure - ~1.6 bar. it's the perforations in the pad that produce it apparently.

I think the sh1t taste that I was experiencing is actually down to the tap water. I'm in Dublin area - water coming from the Sandyford resevoir. Have gone and bought 5L of bottled water and things have improved dramatically. The boiling / pressurisation that the Senseo machine does (maybe just in the model in this offer) seems to bring out the chlorine or whatever else they add in... Bit of a pain to have to use bottled water (maybe a filter system on the tap water would work) but at least I've got a solution..

. are you in Dublin area? (from water point of view).

Sorry Glasso, i just noticed your question :o. I am in Waterford City.

Glad to hear at least you may have found what was causing the bad taste. Not ideal having to use bottled water, but a cheapo 5l container may not be too expensive if it just used in the machine.

Sorry Glasso, i just noticed your question :o. I am in Waterford City.

Glad to hear at least you may have found what was causing the bad taste. Not ideal having to use bottled water, but a cheapo 5l container may not be too expensive if it just used in the machine.

yes it's less than 1.50 and 5 litres of senseo coffee is a lot! May just be water hardness or softness in the tap water or else some chemical rubbish (chlorine, fluoride etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Anyone suspect their Senseo was a return?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins in Galway have this same machine for €30 or €40, could be in other stores also, it's in their clearance section.

I can't say i did Peter. All the proper wrappings were on my one.

What makes you suspect that your Senseo was a return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Maplins in Galway have this same machine for €30 or €40, could be in other stores also, it's in their clearance section.

Not anymore they dont!! although it wasnt the same one as tesco had at the start of this thread it was this one instead http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HD7825_60/viva-cafe-coffee-pod-machine
    seems to have better reviews and hopefully wont taste of plastic

Advertisement