Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Which is really the main issue on the roads, not what cyclists (or pedestrians) are or aren't wearing.

Pretty much all my gear has reflective detail on it anyway, and if it's dark enough to matter, I'll have my lights on.

+1. Lights are the thing when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nee wrote: »
    I'd like to see minimum output light legislation.
    A clearly defined standard would be my preference, as some of the cree lights are a bit too much. But the Cree lights are very much a consequence, imo, of the victim blaming "be safe be seen" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

daragh_ wrote: »
    It's not cool. But it's cooler than you pretending to be Larry Warbasse.

I also pretend to be Frank Schleck or PDM Sean Kelly on occasion :D Tomorrow "I'll be Red 5, Standing By". But never hi-viz. Except for the shoulder on my POC jersey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A clearly defined standard would be my preference, as some of the cree lights are a bit too much. But the Cree lights are very much a consequence, imo, of the victim blaming "be safe be seen" message.

The problem here is, and it is the reason that they now allow flashing lights, is because it is easier to as many have some lights rather than getting a few on the right lights. One of the biggest issues with lights uptake, in my opinion though, is that the RSA and An Garda promote Hi Vis, therefore, to a person who has not read into it, it would appear this is both the legal minimum and the only requirement.

Imagine you have just come to Dublin as a student to UCD, you have only cycled in either rural settings during daylight hours etc. You haven't gotten round to getting anything for your bike yet as its still bright in the evenings. You get stopped by RSA and AGS and they give you a speech about responsibility and being seen, hand you a hi vis, and send you on your way. You will, rightly or wrongly, come away thinking that this is all you need and it makes you super visible in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I will vote against any political party that tries to force me to wear a high vis vest or a helmet. They can encourage common sense and do an awareness campaign by all means but such a law would be an imposition on cyclists. Cycling needs to be encouraged, not have impositions placed upon it. If there were no motorists, there would hardly be any need for high visibility so motorists are the problem. This country needs to reduce its carbon emissions so encouraging motorists to cycle would be a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

conkennedy wrote: »
    Yup! And it's bloody awful looking kit! :D

Surely red and white is easier to see than green (no matter how vivid it is) against the miles and miles of hedgerows they'd be cycling near.

This country needs to reduce its carbon emissions so encouraging motorists to cycle would be a better idea.

I can't find it now but a paper recently quoted data showing banning diesel cars in a city centre cut lung cancer incidence by 22% inside of 2 years as well as a range of other issues being lowered. Now there may be confounding factors such as increases in PT and cycling but I thought it was incredible.

Interesting bit of work: testing how well people in a driving simulator see cyclists wearing yellow jackets and just wearing grey.

Basically, people could see hi-viz cyclists further away, but only in scenarios where they didn't have much trouble seeing the grey-wearing cyclists (I think)
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753518309871?platform=hootsuite

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Interesting bit of work: testing how well people in a driving simulator see cyclists wearing yellow jackets and just wearing grey.

Basically, people could see hi-viz cyclists further away, but only in scenarios where they didn't have much trouble seeing the grey-wearing cyclists (I think)
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753518309871?platform=hootsuite

One glaring flaw with the paper is the assumptions at the beginning:

In several cases involving collisions between cars and cyclists, car drivers failed to detect the latter in time to avoid collision because of their low visibility or sensory conspicuity. We studied the effect of a yellow cyclist jacket on the detection of cyclists by motorists in an urban environment during daylight hours.

I have seen another paper showing that when there is various light heights used against oncoming traffic, a hi vis has a slight improvement on visibility distance. Not sure if it was enough to warrant usage as I cannot recall and the scenario where it was useful was when cars had their full beams on (against each other). Interestingly (and again from memory) while full beams were annoying, when asked to mention the distance they seen something at, it had very little affect.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    One glaring flaw with the paper is the assumptions at the beginning:

In several cases involving collisions between cars and cyclists, car drivers failed to detect the latter in time to avoid collision because of their low visibility or sensory conspicuity. We studied the effect of a yellow cyclist jacket on the detection of cyclists by motorists in an urban environment during daylight hours.

I have seen another paper showing that when there is various light heights used against oncoming traffic, a hi vis has a slight improvement on visibility distance. Not sure if it was enough to warrant usage as I cannot recall and the scenario where it was useful was when cars had their full beams on (against each other). Interestingly (and again from memory) while full beams were annoying, when asked to mention the distance they seen something at, it had very little affect.

Yeah, I think they just took the conventional road-safety wisdom about collisions occurring because drivers "just couldn't see" the cyclist or pedestrian (without considering the Mandy Rice-Davies counterview: Well, they would say that, wouldn't they).Also "in several cases" is more than a little vague.

However, I don't think "cyclists are so hard to see" is a working assumption baked into the study design. It seems to be about how much sooner you can see hi-viz cyclists, and in what context, so any bias on the part of the researchers shouldn't really matter, provided the respondents aren't given leading questions.

Interestingly, on the second paper, I've heard it said (might have been in Cyclecraft that wearing reflective clothing probably increases the chance of drivers keeping the lights on high beam on rural roads, maybe because they like the reflective effect, or feel it's the right thing to do, making the cyclist "more conspicuous", even though they've already seen them. Dazzling the cyclist is an obvious problem, but even following the cyclist, delays in dipping the lights could dazzle oncoming drivers.

I guess the second study would be more relevant for rural roads, as high-beam is not that common in the urban environment, which the first study is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I will vote against any political party that tries to force me to wear a high vis vest or a helmet. They can encourage common sense and do an awareness campaign by all means but such a law would be an imposition on cyclists. Cycling needs to be encouraged, not have impositions placed upon it. If there were no motorists, there would hardly be any need for high visibility so motorists are the problem. This country needs to reduce its carbon emissions so encouraging motorists to cycle would be a better idea.

The electric cars will reduce the emissions problem but it will also bring a different problem, their noise output will be alot lower so more care will be needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The electric cars will reduce the emissions problem but it will also bring a different problem, their noise output will be alot lower so more care will be needed!!

It may help the emissions problem, but it certainly doesn't solve it if all the EVs are being powered by oil/coal/turf generated power stations.

It may help the emissions problem, but it certainly doesn't solve it if all the EVs are being powered by oil/coal/turf generated power stations.

Nope it won't but then we again we aren't going to solve such a big issue easily when certain powers (Countries) control it and it drives the world economy.

While the tv show Occupied is based on a fiction, you could easily see it happening :D

Fitness is something that needs promotion more and more these days, facilities need to match, making things easier for people to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No, EV cars do not help reducing emissions. The emissions come from manufacturing, mining, end of life recycling (and generating electricity required to power the vehicles)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Seweryn wrote: »
    No, EV cars do not help reducing emissions. The emissions come from manufacturing, mining, end of life recycling (and generating electricity required to power the vehicles)...

Clarkson is right...the most eco friendly car on the planet is a 20+ year old land rover defender! .. Why? because they don't make them anymore and most of the ones still on the road are still one owners who never drove anything else! ;)

Electric vehicles do have lower emissions of NOx, and if you look at just their immediate environment, this is a big advantage. So in cities, where NOx levels are often high enough to be a health risk, they make sense, if they're replacing vehicles that use fossil fuels and can't be replaced by active travel or public transport. Public transport should also switch to electric where possible.

If you can substantially decarbonise electricity supply, and that does appear to be on its way in a few countries, electric vehicles would lead to lower CO2 emissions as well.

EVs still take up an insane amount of room, kill people by colliding with them, make people fat, stop children from playing outdoors, and give off plenty of particulate matter from braking and tyre wear that adversely affects health, so the best thing to do is still discourage the use of private motor vehicles, regardless of whether they're electric, especially in cities.

You can say the same for the bike frames, tyres, puncture repair kids, the gear people wear, it all adds to the emissions.

The same for the heating in our offices and buildings etc.

We should walk around naked instead with no shoes:D

(This isn't the Electric Vehicle thread, I probably should add!)

You can say the same for the bike frames, tyres, puncture repair kids, the gear people wear, it all adds to the emissions.

No, they were washing bikes.

http://irishcycle.com/2018/06/13/dublin-bicycle-shop-hit-with-e150-fine-after-children-stuck-up-poster-advertising-bike-wash/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No, the core of the problem (the elephant...) is very obvious, but very few people are able to see it.

And we are derailing from the subject a little ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We should walk around naked instead with no shoes

But not until the excess fat has been burned off please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to quote ben goldacre, 'it's complicated'.
    obviously petrol/diesel is a lot easier to calculate the figures on as they're a more standard fuel than electricity - driving a petrol car here, and driving one in norway will result in similar tailpipe and lifespan CO2.
    but comparing EVs in ireland and norway is completely different because the vast majority of their electricity is hydro, and the majority of ours is from fossil fuels.

then you have the complicating factor of the mining and manufacture, and add into that, that with cars, it's usually easiest to distil the emissions issue to CO2, whereas an EV will have much lower particulate/NOX/etc. emissions, which are the ones which play more into the effects of cars on urban air quality.
    and you still have tyre dust from EVs (possibly brake dust, i guess, if they're using traditional brakes).

some interesting reading here, you can see the different numbers the different car types and different energy sources produce:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/25/how-green-are-electric-cars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, getting back to the topic at hand:
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    i wonder/worry how much the fact that the 'drivers' knew they were being tested would skew the results - even if they might not have known they were specifically being tested on the cyclist visibility issue.

someone in a driving simulator, *knowing* they are being watched, will be a hell of a lot more observant than a tired office worker/baker/artificial inseminator/what have you, driving home after a days work, on roads they are (i.e. would claim to be) able to drive blindfolded.

i wonder/worry how much the fact that the 'drivers' knew they were being tested would skew the results - even if they might not have known they were specifically being tested on the cyclist visibility issue.

That's mentioned in the Australian study where people drove around a track at night and looked out for cyclists wearing different conspicuity aids. They found the drivers were good at spotting even people wearing no conspicuity aids at all, which might have been because the drivers were in a test scenario and on their mettle.

But when you combine a study like this recent one with the prospective cohort study in Nottingham (following urban cyclists who wear hi-viz and who don't and comparing their subsequent rates of collision), you get a convincing enough case that hi-viz isn't remotely as effective as frequently made out (often it's claimed to be so effective, and cyclists without it so hard to see that it's "essential" or "vital", and basically a moral imperative to wear it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Office of Emergency Planning has an interesting take on winter planning

https://twitter.com/emergencyIE/status/1041988691462377473?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/10/01/intolerable/

Free hi-vis jacket in Daily Fail today, life saving apparently. Headline is pretty sad as well. Poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Does it inflate on contact with water those nasty unapproved ones?

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/10/01/intolerable/

Free hi-vis jacket in Daily Fail today, life saving apparently. Headline is pretty sad as well. Poor woman.

The irony being the one in the picture looks like one of the recalled ones. As the reflective strips are not reflective.

Advertisement