Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The blog post seems to be describing, though not specifically referencing, a form of risk compensation, where emergency workers have too much faith in the enhanced conspicuity afforded by hi-viz uniforms.
    The research results demonstrated that unlike earlier research, road workers were often detected only at short distances, sometimes as low as 25 to 45 meters (27-49 yards). The road workers were also found to be less than conspicuous, even when wearing high-visibility clothing. The workers that were interviewed for the study were also likely to greatly over-estimate their personal levels of conspicuity.

I think firefighters' outfits are maybe more effective: black and yellow reflective stripes give you contrast against a greater variety of backgrounds. Looks nicer anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think firefighters' outfits are maybe more effective: black and yellow reflective stripes give you contrast against a greater variety of backgrounds. Looks nicer anyway.

The council ones that have the strips on the trousers are the most effective at night time in street lamp lit areas as they pick up the dims on cars far earlier (in fact hi vis jackets have little effect here at all). Of course they could also just put up more effective road signage and blockages to warn oncoming traffic as well, but this seems to be hit and miss (no pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

So where do we all get our firefighter pants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Chuchote wrote: »
    So where do we all get our firefighter pants?
    Hang around fireman calendar photoshoots until they become "available".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

And thus starts the next phase. "Their legs were practically invisible" the driver said. "They didn't have a stitch of high-viz on half their body. If cyclists aren't willing to do anything to make themselves visible then motorists can't be blamed for hitting them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

What about ye old pedal reflector that has been doing this job for decades? Never seen or heard the RSA mention them. Probably dont know they exist.

Hang around fireman calendar photoshoots until they become "available".

Somewhat of a tangent, but I wish the people who design rain trousers and the people who design stripper trousers would get together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Somewhat of a tangent, but I wish the people who design rain trousers and the people who design stripper trousers would get together.

Sexy results or hilarious consequences?

Actually, not a bad point. Rain trousers are murder to get on and off, especially if you're wearing winter boots or big cloggy Ecco sandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

What about ye old pedal reflector that has been doing this job for decades? Never seen or heard the RSA mention them. Probably dont know they exist.
    Maybe if the RSA supplier of the 1,000,000 Hi-Viz vests per year (who just happen to be located in the Co Mayo) made pedal reflectors and bike lights we might not need to have this thread at all?

• Advertisement

Found (but did not buy) the ultimate hi-viz trousers - at least, the ultimate if you ran a strip of luminescence down the side.

There's a shop in Bride Street that sells kitchen stuff - all kinds of nice things for the cook and housewarmer. They have those lurid black-and-white check chef's trousers like this

green-check-trousers.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you run the risk of causing a driver to have an epileptic fit and crashing into you if you wore those.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Chuchote wrote: »
    Actually, not a bad point. Rain trousers are murder to get on and off, especially if you're wearing winter boots or big cloggy Ecco sandals.

Rain trousers with full length or half length leg zips have been around for years. Designed to go over hillwalking/mountaineering boots. Also very handy for ventilation especially compared to the cheap plastic ones.

Lowe Alpine, North Face, Berghaus etc all make these but can be pricey. Trespass and Regatta do also. Shop around and you can pick up a pair fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, I've a good pair of North Face water proof trousers which are easy to be pull over boots and shoes.

I have rain trousers with the zippers on the leg, and they're very good, but I want something like this:

you run the risk of causing a driver to have an epileptic fit and crashing into you if you wore those.

Not at all. They'd be so dazzled they couldn't aim the car properly.
    Rain trousers with full length or half length leg zips have been around for years. Designed to go over hillwalking/mountaineering boots. Also very handy for ventilation especially compared to the cheap plastic ones.

Lowe Alpine, North Face, Berghaus etc all make these but can be pricey. Trespass and Regatta do also. Shop around and you can pick up a pair fairly cheap.

That's what I use, but honestly, taking them off when cold and wet and just wanting to flop down on the couch is really difficult - the ankle-to-calf zip always manages to catch on the gusset inside it. I usually end up undoing my boots and taking the trousers off when I'm in stocking feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Copenhagenize design company react to the independent article of the RSA handing out 80,000 high Viz vests.
    Ireland surrenders to Motordom!

https://www.facebook.com/Copenhagenize/posts/10155547817196897

That surrender happened some time ago.

I think that is somewhat unlikely but what could be likely is that a Judge could decide that cyclist is guilty of contributory negligence for head injuries sustained when knocked down while not wearing a helmet.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/cyclist-loses-damages-claim-over-injuries-in-collision-with-car-1.3103092
    Dismissing the case, Mr Justice Anthony Barr said he was satisfied Mr Lyons had had no chance to avoid hitting Mr Duffy.
    As a grown man, Mr Duffy was “highly negligent” to cycle from the city centre to Drimnagh without lights on his bike, the judge said. He was also negligent in failing to wear a helmet, he added.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't forget to hi-vis your horse - no point in thinking about hi-vis after the horse has bolted, you know.

https://twitter.com/GlowMeansSlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Anyone know where one can get a solid hi viz gilet? Dunnes stores has a hi viz gonna go to a 90s rave type jacket in lady winter but I'd prefer a gilet fir winter commute

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Anyone know where one can get a solid hi viz gilet? Dunnes stores has a hi viz gonna go to a 90s rave type jacket in lady winter but I'd prefer a gilet fir winter commute

Not cheap but super-reflective https://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/cycling/cycling-gilets-vests

Don't forget to hi-vis your horse - no point in thinking about hi-vis after the horse has bolted, you know.

https://twitter.com/GlowMeansSlow
    Amazingly, a company that makes a product has found a problem that their product solves!

http://www.teamtunnaheventing.co.uk/2017/06/glow-means-slow.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/liberties-in-dublin-gets-its-first-new-park-in-100-years-1.3241119

They're in a park... they're in a playground, in a park. WHY DO THEY NEED HI-VIZ!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

buffalo wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/liberties-in-dublin-gets-its-first-new-park-in-100-years-1.3241119

They're in a park... they're in a playground, in a park. WHY DO THEY NEED HI-VIZ!?

Maybe they had to get to the park by walking across a road? ( at a pedestrian crossing while accompanied by adults!) in broad daylight too!

When schools bring children to playgrounds during school hours, they seem to dress the kids up like that. I suppose they might actually believe it's addressing a genuine safety issue, but I'm pretty sure that they also feel that they're less likely to get in legal trouble if a child is hit by a car, or goes missing.

Of course, a decade or two or three of hi-viz promotion has left many people with the impression that most of the visible spectrum is very hard to discern in broad daylight. So there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

When schools bring children to playgrounds during school hours, they seem to dress the kids up like that. I suppose they might actually believe it's addressing a genuine safety issue, but I'm pretty sure that they also feel that they're less likely to get in legal trouble if a child is hit by a car, or goes missing.
    It can also be to keep track/ easily identify children from the group - I've seen Beaver troops do that in the likes of Glendalough. It works to a degree, until two or more troops have the same plan...

I really don't get the whole everyone in hi viz in a park thing though. It's just conditioning at this stage. The likes of the Operation Transformation Walks and Runs, and the RSA free builders vest for every child has just normalised. Hence all the "they weren't even wearing hi viz" bull. It's expected off every other road user - except for when a motorist parks up and gets out of the car to go somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Hence all the "they weren't even wearing hi viz" bull. It's expected off every other road user - except for when a motorist parks up and gets out of the car to go somewhere...

"Was the car that hit you wearing a hi-vis vest?"

"No. And therefore it was completely invisible to my puny human eyes barely adapted for survival after millions of years of evolution on this planet."

"Have the car taken away and hanged!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I really don't get the whole everyone in hi viz in a park thing though. It's just conditioning at this stage. The likes of the Operation Transformation Walks and Runs, and the RSA free builders vest for every child has just normalised. Hence all the "they weren't even wearing hi viz" bull. It's expected off every other road user - except for when a motorist parks up and gets out of the car to go somewhere...

I don't Operation Transformation, but from the bits I saw this year, the hi-viz-for-all attitude wasn't quite as ubiquitous as in previous years.

• Advertisement

Well, that's some progress, I suppose.

Advertisement