Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

999/112 Response times

Options
  • 29-01-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

In the light of Flatley's break in and 'chase' :P , does anyone know of the response times for the various emergency services.

In my personal experience they always seem a bit slow when you consider that seconds count. First there's the main operator who asks 'Which service' ,and transfers you , THEN you get bogged down with someone who seems to be typing in info with one finger. In one city incident I witnessed a mugger being chased and caught, in the time it took the operator to 'type in' what I was telling him (I could hear the slow tap-tap tap tap tap-tap going on :rolleyes: ) the mugger had managed to kick his way out and run. A unit showed up 10 mins after asking for details but sure the incident was well over by then. Another time I saw a hit and run but I'd say the car was 10km up the motorway by the time the operator took the details :mad:
    Could/Do the operators not immediately notify ( I'm talking seconds here, not 1 or 2 minutes ) the nearest station/unit when the call comes in to prepare them for the incident details ?
    (Say that hit and run (northbound on the N1 near Rush turn off ) - I'd tell him where it had happened and direction of travel, he notifys (Balbriggan say or Drogheda ) and then links the calls up so Balbriggan can hear me and the operator talking so they can inform other units of the ongoing situation in case there's a unit near trhe incident - it seems at the moment the operator takes the details first (1-2 minutes) and only then gets on to the relevant station to convey the info (4mins) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

From my experience, it depends on where you live and who you request. I live in South Dublin and have only ever needed DFB, who were on scene on both occasions within 4 mins - and they had travelled a fair distance from Donnybrook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Garda communication center.

Advertisement