Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema - unspoken rules..

Options
  • 27-01-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭

So my buddy and i were at the movies last night.. we went to see August" Osage county.
    There were 2 girls behind us who munched the wholeeeeeeeeeeee way through the movie; continuously opening crisps and munching… unwrapping sweets and sucking on them for all to hear..
    It was really distracting as the movie was quite intense in places.

Surely people should be a bit more mindful of noise when at the movies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Dont be a c*nt is the only rule one needs!!

sporina wrote: »
    So my buddy and i were at the movies last night.. we went to see August" Osage county.
    There were 2 girls behind us who munched the wholeeeeeeeeeeee way through the movie; continuously opening crisps and munching… unwrapping sweets and sucking on them for all to hear..

Did you tell them to be quiet, if so what did they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

Did you tell them to be quiet, if so what did they say?

oh i forgot to mention - one of them had her knees up against my seat and was rocking; i had to ask her to stop and she did.
    I didn't say anything about the food - i mean people are allowed to eat in the cinema - but I didn't wanna have an argument in the middle of the movie. I did give a few coughs and sighs. They just could have been more discrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭sporina

frag420 wrote: »
    Dont be a c*nt is the only rule one needs!!

pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

These days to be honest, if munching on food is the worst thing that happens you got off lightly.

I've seen someone read a novel aloud down the phone while cooking on a BBQ in a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    These days to be honest, if munching on food is the worst thing that happens you got off lightly.

I've seen someone read a novel aloud down the phone while cooking on a BBQ in a cinema.

True story.

oh i forgot to mention - one of them had her knees up against my seat and was rocking; i had to ask her to stop and she did.
    I didn't say anything about the food - i mean people are allowed to eat in the cinema - but I didn't wanna have an argument in the middle of the movie. I did give a few coughs and sighs. They just could have been more discrete.

Well if you don't say something nothing will change. If its turns into an argument so be it. I would not just sit there suffering in silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Seriously though, rocking your seat - that's a HUGE no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

I went to see The Wolf of Wall Street on Saturday night in Movies @ Swords and some fúckwit behind me kept constantly kicking my chair throughout. In the past I've turned around and asked the idiot nicely to please stop, but I figured I need to learn to ignore it as it's just becoming so commonplace and nobody seems to give a flying fúck about cinema etiquette anymore really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Shred wrote: »
    I went to see The Wolf of Wall Street on Saturday night in Movies @ Swords and some fúckwit behind me kept constantly kicking my chair throughout. In the past I've turned around and asked the idiot nicely to please stop, but I figured I need to learn to ignore it as it's just becoming so commonplace and nobody seems to give a flying fúck about cinema etiquette anymore really.

I never go to the cinema on a Saturday night anymore. I also wait about a week before seeing a movie. This means the screen is usually emptier and you can position yourself away from people like that.

If I go to the cinema on the weekend of a new release and I have a bad experience, I only blame myself for going at that time. It's a pity that I have to do this but we are living in a world were common courtesy is an alien concept for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Shred

You do have a point in fairness and this is why I started going to late shows a few years ago - no queues, half (or more) empty cinemas where you could sit where you like etc. But I just haven't got the stamina for it since my son was born tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Your cinema needs one of these...

550w_movies_general_wittertainments_code_of_conduct.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

pardon?

Why pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If a cinema opened in Dublin with an absolute zero-tolerance policy on these clowns (ushers in each screening, no talking, no rustling, no mobile phone usage or you're out) I reckon they'd do really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

independent cinemas

those cineplexes are a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What genius thought selling nachos in a cinema was a good idea?

dan1895 wrote: »
    They should sell marshmallows in a non-noisy cardboard container instead of popcorn too imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

dan1895 wrote: »

I've seen loads of people eat nachos in the cinema and I can honestly say you can't hear a single crunch, so as Marie-Antoinette once said, let them eat cake nachos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You can eat nachos relatively quietly if you are shown how to eat correctly by ones parents. It's the idiots who insist on eating with their mouths wide open are the problem. Rustling of crisp bags etc are another matter.

Thankfully we don't have much if any silliness going on while watching movies at our local.

Sit down, turn off your phone and shut the fuck up till the film is over is the only rule that should be enforced. If you want to eat then go ahead but do so quietly,. If you want to talk or look at your phone then don't go in the first place. It's quite simple how one should behave in the cinema and it's a shame that more people can't do it correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I thought places like the IFI would be strict on things like this but there's always a handful of insufferable arseholes at every single screening I've been to there. Then again it's hard when people are just sneaking in bags of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭fluke

Never rub another man's rhubarb

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

I avoid cinemas on Friday and Saturday nights now, unless it's a late showing. Had an awful experience a few months ago when we went to see a film, turns out the night coincided with the bloody Junior Cert results so they were all there, thinking they were all that mattered.

Now I was a JC student once upon a time too, but their behaviour throughout the whole film was awful. Between throwing popcorn, having full blown conversations, taking 'selfies' (with flashes), and getting up to move around - we barely got to hear any of the film. Afterwards, we spoke to a few other non-Junior Cert students who were there and we all complained online about the fact that a security guard was in the cinema, but nothing was done about it. Some of us heard back with a generic apology, and more of us didn't get a reply.

Hence, I always ask if there's a youth club or anything like that attending before I get tickets now.

vidor wrote: »
    I thought places like the IFI would be strict on things like this but there's always a handful of insufferable arseholes at every single screening I've been to there. Then again it's hard when people are just sneaking in bags of crap.
    Yeah the patrons can still be obnoxious in the IFI, they just go about it in a more passive-aggressive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    independent cinemas

those cineplexes are a nightmare

I think this is a bit of a misconception. I've had bad experiences in both the Lighthouse and the IFI. I go to the cinema about 170 times a year, so cineworld with their card is a no brainer for me. It saves a fortune.

With all cinemas, it is a game of chance whether or not your screening will be annoying but you can mitigate the risk by avoiding weekends, waiting a few weeks to see a movie, etc...
    e_e wrote: »
    If a cinema opened in Dublin with an absolute zero-tolerance policy on these clowns (ushers in each screening, no talking, no rustling, no mobile phone usage or you're out) I reckon they'd do really well.

Seriously, if I won a decent amount of money in the lotto, I'd establish a cinema in Dublin for that exact purpose. If it did well, I'd expand to other Irish cities and perhaps the UK.

I know Cineworld does private hire screenings. I wonder is there any merit in creating a Dublin region Boards.ie film club to hire a screen a few times a month to show a new film, and the members of such a club must obey cinema etiquette. I've no idea how much that would cost and it would have to be financially viable for both Cineworld and the members (the cost per member couldn't be much more than a regular ticket). The smaller screens hold about 100 people so we'd need enough people for that. Just food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,130 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shred wrote: »

As a relatively tall cinema goer, it's also worth to note that most cinema seats are ****ing torture for anyone over 6ft1/2

I'm constantly having to move, squirm and move my legs simply because of their cramped nature and rubbish style.

Have found two cinemas that me and the misses go to regularly now that affords a bit of leg room for me, but point I'm making is it's not always someone being a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

TheDoc wrote: »
    As a relatively tall cinema goer, it's also worth to note that most cinema seats are ****ing torture for anyone over 6ft1/2

I agree.

As a person over six foot, the IFI is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Worked in a cinema for years. Its impossible to patrol all screens constantly, your labor cost would go through the roof. Parents treat cinemas like a creche at the weekends so they can go off and do the shopping. Ive seen people fighting, drinking, smoking and having sex in the back of screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Ive seen people fighting, drinking, smoking and having sex in the back of screens.

My apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I go to the cinema about 170 times a year.

I'm the same. I've probably sat beside you before. You've probably breathed on me several times. I've probably touched your leg. Perhaps bumped into you in the toilets.

Cinemas are weird.

Advertisement