Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm done with hip-hop

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

First thing I thought of while reading this thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration

Description: This is a subreddit dedicated to satirically mocking those people who, blinded by their own nostalgia, believe certain things in the past to be unequivocally better than today. We place a special emphasis on music, because this subreddit was created after annoyance over "born in the wrong generation" attitude often expressed by fans of 60s/70s rock.

There are people on this board which are so defeners it's not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Will Smith is a far superior rapper to Wayne or Jeezy. And his lyrics also tend to make sense.

well said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Lil Wayne lyrics don't make much sense at all. Here are some examples:

"I bulletproof the ride, now I feel like armadillos"

"Weezy F Baby, and the F is for phenomenal"

"I get paid by the letter like ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZZ Top, yes he rock"

"I've got 10 bathrooms, I could s**t all day, ni**a"

"Make a movie with your b**ch, Steven Spiel-ni**a"

I think that's enough. Here's a video of a big freestyle fail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GcORFEeCw

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

GvidoR wrote: »
    Lil Wayne lyrics don't make much sense at all.

Ah, but sure that's what rapgenius is for :D.

Taking one example:

Armadillos, of course, have very hard protective shells. Just like he does when in his bulletproof ride
    He also makes armadillos sounds like “all my dealers."This is because all of his dealers have their rides bullet proofed as well.
    :pac:

Seriously though, just because some mainstream hip-hop isn't to your taste doesn't mean that you should give up on a whole genre, or say things like 'music is dead'.

Should clarify that I'm not having a go at you by the way, more the first poster and the other defeners.

Should clarify that I'm not having a go at you by the way, more the first poster and the other defeners.

Good. :D

Did you listen to any of the examples I posted? ... or anyone else? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hip Hop has been dead for years!!

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hip Hop has been dead for years!!

Just because the most common/known/famous/mainstream hip hop artists are garbage doesn't mean the whole genre is dead.

It just means we have to dig deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Indeed agree with OP and others it's been a long time since anyone like GrandMasterFlash, PublicEnemy etc, cranked out funk to issues such as social-economic injustice.

These days it's moneymakers like Jay*$ & Will.he.is throwing pyramids onto videos and spawning out stuff like this:

* "No clouds in my stones
    Let it rain, I hydroplane in the bank
    Coming down with the Dow Jones
    When the clouds come we gone, we 'Rocafella'
    We fly higher than weather
    In G5's are better, You know me,
    In anticipation, for precipitation. Stack chips for the rainy day
    Jay, Rain Man is back with little Ms. Sunshine
    Rihanna where you at?"

*// umberella

...ah sure everyone has a G5 these days (not an old mac).

Could this be the worst song ever?

Read the lyrics here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/birdman/yumad.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Lil Wayne lyrics don't make much sense at all. Here are some examples:

"Weezy F Baby, and the F is for phenomenal"

"I get paid by the letter like ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZZ Top, yes he rock"

"I've got 10 bathrooms, I could s**t all day, ni**a"

"Make a movie with your b**ch, Steven Spiel-ni**a"

I think that's enough. Here's a video of a big freestyle fail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24GcORFEeCw

They all make sense IMO - some just aren't as witty as he thinks. I like the first two though - the second is an intentional play on the phonetic pronunciation of phenomenal.

Reminds me of "real g's move in silence like lasagne".

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Indeed agree with OP and others it's been a long time since anyone like GrandMasterFlash, PublicEnemy etc, cranked out funk to issues such as social-economic injustice.

These days it's moneymakers like Jay*$ & Will.he.is throwing pyramids onto videos and spawning out stuff like this:

* "No clouds in my stones
    Let it rain, I hydroplane in the bank
    Coming down with the Dow Jones
    When the clouds come we gone, we 'Rocafella'
    We fly higher than weather
    In G5's are better, You know me,
    In anticipation, for precipitation. Stack chips for the rainy day
    Jay, Rain Man is back with little Ms. Sunshine
    Rihanna where you at?"

*// umberella

...ah sure everyone has a G5 these days (not an old mac).

Plenty of rappers still do that today, you just have to look a little harder.

Also you are not comparing like with like.
    Umbrella is a pop song, aimed at the widest possible audience, so it's hardly surprising that the lyrics are not ground breaking.
    Public Enemy weren't topping the charts regularly back in the 80's, as they had a more select audience. Highest chart position Nation of Millions reached was #42 in the US. Vanilla Ice sold more records than Grandmaster Flash.

The situation hasn't really changed all that much, when you think about it.

floggg wrote: »
    They all make sense IMO - some just aren't as witty as he thinks. I like the first two though - the second is an intentional play on the phonetic pronunciation of phenomenal.

Reminds me of "real g's move in silence like lasagne".

lol, no they don't, especially the one where he says he can s**t all day because he has 10 bathrooms. Yeah... amazing. :pac:

Why look for a deeper meaning, when it's not there? The same goes for that lasagne line.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can see where he goes with his lines, or where he wants to go, but terribly executed for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

These lyrics are JayZ's on umberella (not ryaniana...) who is probably the biggest rap/hiphop chap of the last 10yrs, his last album even self-acknowledges a few nods to the illumni along with glorious self-gratifying mentions to his millions/billions.

Sure there may be a few non-mainstream hipsters banging on social issues, but most are just talking about their G5's, bling, Cristal and dis-respectin' their fine hoes.

Pop genre has certainly gone to the dogs, just watch a few of will.he.is vids and count the pyramid formations, consider why britney sang in British accent and googlebot 'Katy-Patra's' latest 16:9 visual vomit (dark horse). Rap/hiphop ain't far off this benchmark.

At least you know where you stand with Garry Brookes - hats, pickup trucks, an odd whisky and romancing the lady folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Why look for a deeper meaning, when it's not there? The same goes for that lasagne line.

I'm not a Wayne fan - and I completely agree with you on some of the other lines you posted - but I think that lasagne one is a pretty tasty line (pun intented)! There's a clear "meaning" to it (a play on the silent g in the word lasagne, and the double entendre of g = letter-of-the-alphabet / gangster), there doesn't have to be a deeper meaning - and I don't think anyone is claiming it's any deeper than that - but surely you can see it's not a bumbling collection of random words?? It's a well thought-out line with absolutely f€ck all real substance - like an awful lot of (great) hip-hop music music in general!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Yeah I d like to know how being a silent g makes him feel. Him just stating he is a silent g is self fellating in ny opinion. Theres no art in that.
    Hes not really some gunslinging gangster he is a rapper.
    I would decide because of the above that its little more than a fella acting at school play level with a song in said play.

"Im rumplestiltskin, Im here for your kids, you a scruffy little bitch with jocks full of skids".
    Its not genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

jane82 wrote: »
    Yeah I d like to know how being a silent g makes him feel. Him just stating he is a silent g is self fellating in ny opinion. Theres no art in that.
    Hes not really some gunslinging gangster he is a rapper.
    I would decide because of the above that its little more than a fella acting at school play level with a song in said play.

"Im rumplestiltskin, Im here for your kids, you a scruffy little bitch with jocks full of skids".
    Its not genius.

Again not defending Wayne as I'm not particularly a fan, but I really don't think that calling himself a silent g is especially "self fellating" by hip-hop standards (or even by Lil' Wayne standards I'd assume). If you were to weed out every mainstream rapper from the last 25 years that occasionally bragged about how great/tough they were, you'd be left with a pretty short list!:D

lol, no they don't, especially the one where he says he can s**t all day because he has 10 bathrooms. Yeah... amazing. :pac:

They are bad lines, but everybody know what he means. They are punch line raps, not to be taken literally.

And that lasagne line is witty as hell. First few times I heard it I was confused, until I saw a ?uestlove tweet about it and it clicked once I saw the word written down.

The verse itself was just a pointless stream of punch lines and brags though, some of which hit and some of which missed badly.

Joe Doe wrote: »
    These lyrics are JayZ's on umberella (not ryaniana...) who is probably the biggest rap/hiphop chap of the last 10yrs, his last album even self-acknowledges a few nods to the illumni along with glorious self-gratifying mentions to his millions/billions.

Sure there may be a few non-mainstream hipsters banging on social issues, but most are just talking about their G5's, bling, Cristal and dis-respectin' their fine hoes.

Pop genre has certainly gone to the dogs, just watch a few of will.he.is vids and count the pyramid formations, consider why britney sang in British accent and googlebot 'Katy-Patra's' latest 16:9 visual vomit (dark horse). Rap/hiphop ain't far off this benchmark.

At least you know where you stand with Garry Brookes - hats, pickup trucks, an odd whisky and romancing the lady folks.

Illuminati?

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

How can hip-hop be dead when Joey Bada$$ and ProEra are releasing top quality material on a weekly basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

How can hip-hop be dead when Joey Bada$$ and ProEra are releasing top quality material on a weekly basis?

You check out A La $ole's stuff? i think him an Bada$$ are my favorite from ProEra, that group/crew has some talent in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Yeh he has some good stuff, CJ Fly is up there as well, some class rhymes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Out of the interest of balance, I googled the following

'lil wayne stupid lyrics'

This was the second hit, the first one was on Carter IV, but only had 15, the one below has a few more.

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-40-most-ridiculous-lyrics-on-lil-waynes-i-am-not-a-human-being-ii/

Then I googled:

'will smith stupid lyrics'

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-most-mind-bogglingly-stupid-song-lyrics-of-all-time

There is only 1 line back from "Gettin Jiggy With It'
    “You gotta’ Prada bag with a lotta’ stuff in it.”

Oddly, Wayne doesnt feature on this list, but one of the comments is:

On balance of the 2 minutes of effort put into this, 1 line from Will Smith compared to multiple hits from Wayne on an album by album basis.

So the internet has proved my earlier point, Wayne writes absolute drivel, I can see where he is going with some of the lines, but cant execute it properly and doesnt admit defeat and scrub the line.

Ah come on Boom Bap that's hardly right! :pac: We can hardly rely on internet search result numbers to prove who's a better MC now?

Wayne had his time, and it's one that a lot of people have forgotten about. Unsurprising really with the drivel he's released. But anyone who's hatin' on the lasagne line, are you serious? Witty shít no matter who wrote it

Never understood how people can judge an entire genre based on just a few select artists. If you judge any genre solely on what's commercial then you're going to be disappointed. There's so much great rap out there at the minute that it's hard to find the time to listen to it all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every hip hop fan owes it to themselves to listen to the last R.A. the Rugged Man album. It's an exceptional piece of work and was my most listened to album of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every hip hop fan owes it to themselves to listen to the last R.A. the Rugged Man album. It's an exceptional piece of work and was my most listened to album of last year.

Great album, ive appreciated RA the Rugged Man a lot since that album came out, only really knew him from the odd appearance here and there and his outrageous verse on Jedi Mind Tricks - Uncommon Valor, he's a class act, comes across as a real humble dude.

Definition of a rap flow is the highlight from that album for me, unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Didn't like RAs new album at all tbh. Rhymes were on point as always but the beats were terrible for the most part. Wasn't a patch on Die Rugged Man Die or Legendary Classics Vol 1.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Ah come on Boom Bap that's hardly right! :pac: We can hardly rely on internet search result numbers to prove who's a better MC now?

That earlier post was riddled with sarcasm :D Maybe it didnt come accross that way
    Great album, ive appreciated RA the Rugged Man a lot since that album came out, only really knew him from the odd appearance here and there and his outrageous verse on Jedi Mind Tricks - Uncommon Valor, he's a class act, comes across as a real humble dude.

I've been keeping tabs on RA since his days appearing on Rawkus releases. His tracks on Soundbombing are amazing

HighClass wrote: »
    Didn't like RAs new album at all tbh. Rhymes were on point as always but the beats were terrible for the most part. Wasn't a patch on Die Rugged Man Die or Legendary Classics Vol 1.

I think we spoke about it before, my opinion is that he cant hold my attention for a full song, if the beats were better, it would probably keep my attention longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Word.

I played that so much last year. It's one of those songs I'll hear in a few years time and it'll instantly take me back to a particular time and place.

Advertisement